• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Beta Admin Observations

Floyd

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Waterproof
www.ro50pc.net
I don't know how long before release, but thought I'd start a thread to provide a one stop place to post noticed problems.

Thanks for at least attempting to load up the server Saturday. Sorry I wasn't there for the beginning.

I think we managed 34 active players at one point on Tcherkassy. Not a staggering load, mind you. And on that map, CPU usage never went over about 36 percent on that core. There was a lot of typed chat and typed discussion among the participants. Oftentimes I would respond to a question and my response never showed on the screen (at least not mine). Once, it took me three tries before it appeared. Sometimes I felt like I missed a question or an answer to one from someone else.

I seldom type chat when playing, so I don't know if this an anomoly that can and does happen quite often. If not, I wonder where the problem lies. Dropped packets? Server network?, Global network?, my isp?, my computer? Server? Normal?

Supermicro M/B
Woodcrest 5130 at 2Ghz
2Gb RAM
No TOE enabled NIC
(100mps though)
Only RO running.

The TWB guys/gals and I believe the TWI devs had a great time on your server Floyd and really wished we could have maxed it out for you.
I counted 36 players at the peak?

A server with a mid-range CPU like yours which was set to 40 or so players needed to be tested as I believe that many Admins will be looking to step up to these sorts of settings.

The TWB members had 100+ pings but then again we were playing from europe but the ping was no problem what so ever on your server as it handled the 30+ players who eventually got on easily.

We emptied our beta server of 25 players and managed to get them all onto your server which was fantastic and we are extremely grateful to all those players who chose to help out by doing this.

It just goes to show that we have some great people playing RO if they are willing to spend the time seeding a server just to help TWI and yourself ensure it works correctly.

Many thanks to all those who helped out;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know how long before release, but thought I'd start a thread to provide a one stop place to post noticed problems.

Thanks for at least attempting to load up the server Saturday. Sorry I wasn't there for the beginning.

I think we managed 34 active players at one point on Tcherkassy. Not a staggering load, mind you. And on that map, CPU usage never went over about 36 percent on that core. There was a lot of typed chat and typed discussion among the participants. Oftentimes I would respond to a question and my response never showed on the screen (at least not mine). Once, it took me three tries before it appeared. Sometimes I felt like I missed a question or an answer to one from someone else.

I seldom type chat when playing, so I don't know if this an anomoly that can and does happen quite often. If not, I wonder where the problem lies. Dropped packets? Server network?, Global network?, my isp?, my computer? Server? Normal?

Supermicro M/B
Woodcrest 5130 at 2Ghz
2Gb RAM
No TOE enabled NIC
(100mps though)
Only RO running.

the spam detection is on the webadmin aswell aka you cant type past X words in a sentence and type more than Y sentences within a certain time period. You can change those spam settings somewhere in the ini i believe.
So if you type too much or too long of a sentence it wont be send to the server.

Upvote 0
the spam detection is on the webadmin aswell aka you cant type past X words in a sentence and type more than Y sentences within a certain time period. You can change those spam settings somewhere in the ini i believe.
So if you type too much or too long of a sentence it wont be send to the server.
Ahhh!!!! I did not know that. I'll bet that was it! Thx.

Upvote 0
The TWB guys/gals and I believe the TWI devs had a great time on your server Floyd and really wished we could have maxed it out for you.
I counted 36 players at the peak?

A server with a mid-range CPU like yours which was set to 40 or so players needed to be tested as I believe that many Admins will be looking to step up to these sorts of settings.

The TWB members had 100+ pings but then again we were playing from europe but the ping was no problem what so ever on your server as it handled the 30+ players who eventually got on easily.

We emptied our beta server of 25 players and managed to get them all onto your server which was fantastic and we are extremely grateful to all those players who chose to help out by doing this.

It just goes to show that we have some great people playing RO if they are willing to spend the time seeding a server just to help TWI and yourself ensure it works correctly.

Many thanks to all those who helped out;)
It was most appreciated, Butch. And a hearty thanks from me to all who showed, too. I was excited to see a lot of talented and "connected" people playing.

I get 100+ pings on the TWB servers, too. But the game always plays very well on them. As long as the pings are stable, it is generally simply a matter of learning the correct lead.

The tank only maps are going to be a slight problem for this CPU. It would be interesting to see how much a TOE enabled NIC would help. At one point during BDJ, one of the Dev's mentioned he was getting some lag. I checked the server and I'd left AutoMBL (for CoD) running and it decided to update during that map. I've since removed that from services.

Again, thanks to all.

Floyd

Upvote 0