• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

War in phtographs

turbografx16

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006
Netherlands
First of all I'd like to say, if the mods find anything here inappropriate, please delete it. I've read the rules and this doesn't seem to contradict them specifically though it could be said to be "objectionable" under
" * DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable."

I was just thinking yesterday after visiting Verdun how we trivialize war through video games, how we turn what was a horrific and extremely tragic event into a means of having fun and passing time. I know that people have been playing "war" as children since the beginning of time but when you take a specific event and turn it into a game, you could argue that it is very disrespectful and almost disgusting. After all, you're deriving enjoyment from something that ruined lives.

Another thing is that in video games and movies you are completely desensitized to the reality of the war. Bodies disappear, you can magically heal your wounds, you don't realize the harshness of life in the field or the realities of combat. Through school you learn only dates, statistics and politics. In photographs however, none of this can be hidden. Anyway, I'd like to start a thread showing the reality of war, lest we forget what those before us suffered through.

A very old American chaplain sees to a very young German soldier:
aalmoezenier.jpg

Latrine duty:
child01.jpg

Rest:
Cheshire_Regiment_trench_Somme_1916.jpg

Hell?:
chateauwood.jpg

Belgians on the retreat:
imag1325.jpg

Injured German trying to help another injured comrade:
hulpeloos.jpg

French soldier:
france-1940_002.jpg

German machinegunner killed at his post:
dead_soldier.jpg

Over the top:
imag1409.jpg

Sharing cigarettes:
imag0564.jpg

Last edited:
Very moving pictures turbografx16, thank you for posting them...

As to games trivializing war, I'm not so sure - a game could never show the true horror of war but I think at times RO comes close with artillery barrages and bloody stumps of legs and arms.

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity" - Dwight David Eisenhower

Upvote 0
As to games trivializing war, I'm not so sure - a game could never show the true horror of war but I think at times RO comes close with artillery barrages and bloody stumps of legs and arms.

Games are entertaiment or educating about the fact what happened. Besides, game is virtual reality. Sure dismembered parts do give impression about some things that happens in war, but it's just a game. We are seeing things, yet most of the people really do not react in any way while seeing them ingame. Sure it might be diffrent if someone would really be on the front, but either you would want to forget it or try not to think about it and concentrate on something else than the fact you just saw few piles of dismembered body parts.

I do not say it is impossible for a player to think that it's gross to see something like that happen ingame, but I cannot see how I could grieve for something that's just part of a form of entertaiment.

Upvote 0
Very interesting pictures. Here you can find more "good" ones a.k.a real pictures of WWI. Not those sencored ones you see many times. (Though some/many of the pictures turbografx16 used are also presented there)

http://www.greatwar.nl/

Pick the gategory "Bloody picnic: Forbidden War Pictures"

The site is very good also in many other ways. For example very interesting story about Erich Maria Remarque and Adolf Hitler being on front nearly in same places. Needles to say they thought bit differently about war...:)

By the way...

French assault:
imag1006.jpg

This one is a fake. It

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0