• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Open Beta of Spring Update

One upside of having 50 player servers that Major hasn't mentioned is bringing in MORE players :) There is something about higher player counts that make the game more appealing for more poeple. For anyone that has played on the 50 player servers you know that its a different kind of RO - small maps are more intense and big maps finally come into their own. For poeple that don't enjoy it, there will always be the standard 32 player servers "good old RO" so to speak. Running a 50 player server takes a HIGH end server machine, and I doubt there will be that many clans or admins that are willing to spend that much every month. 50 player servers will be more like a "jewel" in the community, there will probably be 6-10 that are basically full 24/7 that poeple can hop onto any time and get thier 50 player "fix".

RO has been around for almost 4 years (3 years of the mod, and 1 year of retail). It's weathered the release of 3 COD games, many bad MOH games, BF2, BFV, BF2142, DODS, and is still growing. So I wouldn't worry about it dieing anytime soon. Thousands of new players get the game every month still - if you watch the best selling games list on Steam, we're very often in the top 8 (out of 200 games on Steam). That says a lot about the continuing popularity and staying power of the game. So as Mike Nomad said, just sit back and enjoy the ride. Tripwire's not done with Ostfront yet - there's a lot more exciting stuff on the horizon :)

Good points, and excellent news about alot more exciting stuff on the horizon!!

Upvote 0
Its updating 3rd time in a row... all seemed good after first time... did the file verify and it decided to download it all again.. it showed 100%, i try to fire up the game.. i get a window saying ready to launch in 1 minute... i click close to try again in a moment... and there we go again, updating from scratch again..
worse part is that steam servers allways are so slow i get less than half the speed i actually could download :(
well.. once more then ill forget about this beta thingie.

EDIT:Got it to work.. hit detection felt bit weird but could be me, i havent had much time with the game for few months..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Weird stuff - I played the Beta yesterday, all was fine.
Tonight when launching the game it starts downloading. I think 'wow they are releasing already?!' :)

But when launching the game it was back to the old version... this happed to anyone else? I have to download again, but hey no biggie at all but weird.

-S

Exit Steam and rerun the shortcut you created to get the beta the first time and it'll resort back to the beta version.

Upvote 0
And me. Keeps downloading everytiime i try to start the game!!!

Are you starting it with the same shortcut you used to download the beta? If not, then that's your problem. You have to use that shortcut everytime. If you start it any other way, it will redownload the non-beta files (Which will allow you to play on non-beta servers again).

Upvote 0
This is getting on my nerves now.
I finally downloaded it AGAIN for the 5th time.
So when i validated the files & double cliked on the game in the game list the flaming download started AGAIN!!! That's 6 times now.
No matter which shortcut i click on the game downloads the update again wether it's the RO icon or the steam icon!!!

Upvote 0
Are you starting it with the same shortcut you used to download the beta? If not, then that's your problem. You have to use that shortcut everytime. If you start it any other way, it will redownload the non-beta files (Which will allow you to play on non-beta servers again).

Ah yes, that must be it then. But it's obvious they should have specified that more closely in the instructions in the second post - as it is now it's easy to misunderstand, IMHO.

BTW, why do they keep changing the name of the update - first it was May Update, then Spring and now it's Summer Update? :rolleyes:

EDIT: is it possible to add '-appname 1200' to the new steam shortcut to have it launch RO automatically instead of just steam?

-S

Upvote 0
When Steam pops up with a new window with a progress bar and says "ready to run in 20 seconds" or whatever, just let it run. It will take a while, but its downloading some additional beta files. If you close that window, and then validate again, you'll just start all over again. Also, as mentioned above post issues starting the beta in the support thread here:

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?p=310332#post310332

NOT in this thread :)

Upvote 0
I'd like to know what are the enhancements of the beta. First to see them, second to check them in detail.
Some low-cost/great-effect changes are mostly sound related. Some music, but also dying people screams ! (why not let some dying people scream even after the player lost control ?).
I'd be happy to test new enhancements, but where do I find a list of them ?

As far as I saw (30 minutes game on Wild Bunch's with map Berezina). The game as no problem. The game was stable.

Concerning 50+ players, I have to say that it is IMHO the greater of all enhancements. I dream of even larger game with even more player in it, which is quite difficult regarding hardware. 50 players make battle more intensive, you die often, but after all that's war.
Since RO is more simulation than arcade, we needed this to reach a full scale battle on little-to-medium maps, and to make larger maps playable. Some people would prefer more 16 on 16 game, or even less, but free-lancers like me with no real teamplay experience would prefer more chaotic and larger battlefields.

Thanks TripWire for this great game. I have to salute the company behavior that enhance the game features instead of taking money and only fix bugs while working on next release. For that, as a customer I have to thank you hugely. Thank you to involve community this way, i hope i can pay you back by active betatesting. :)

Upvote 0