• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Encumberance? Also some thoughts on reloading.

CounTeR

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2007
Spencerport, New York.
Encumberance:

I was thinking (Ouch!), if an MG'er is lugging around a 14 KG weapon plus a bunch of belts or drums, and a pistol, shouldn't he be quite laboured in his efforts to move? What if 10 people hand him a crap load of ammo? He is now carrying an additional 10 KG+ of stuff.

Same with the Pak's and PT's. Those Panzerfausts aren't exactly the lightest things in the German Army, and you are carrying three of them. A PTRD with ammo must weigh over 20 KG.

Now, imagine shooting off a bunch of SMG rounds, tossing the empty mags and pitching your grenades. You would be lighter, yes?

Also, a proportional increase or decrease in the rate of stamina use when jumping and sprinting should be implemented.

Would it be possible to introduce an encumberance feature? Maybe even a "Weapons and Ammo Only" class option with just a primary weapon, a couple of magazines/clips, and no grenades?

Reloading:

How about being able to take individual rounds out of a stripper clip and load a rifle with them? I hate having to sit in a corner, button mashing on my mouse, trying to empty my rifle so I can put a new stripper into it before I rush a cap point.

Maybe a two stroke command (Alt or Ctrl + whatever is bound to "Reload") to take apart a stripper clip and have some singles to top off with.

Just a few thoughts.

Last edited:
Encumberance:

I was thinking (Ouch!), if an MG'er is lugging around a 14 KG weapon plus a bunch of belts or drums, and a pistol, shouldn't he be quite laboured in his efforts to move? What if 10 people hand him a crap load of ammo? He is now carrying an additional 10 KG+ of stuff.

Same with the Pak's and PT's. Those Panzerfausts aren't exactly the lightest things in the German Army, and you are carrying three of them. A PTRD with ammo must weigh over 20 KG.

Now, imagine shooting off a bunch of SMG rounds, tossing the empty mags and pitching your grenades. You would be lighter, yes?

Also, a proportional increase or decrease in the rate of stamina use when jumping and sprinting should be implemented.

Would it be possible to introduce an encumberance feature? Maybe even a "Weapons and Ammo Only" class option with just a primary weapon, a couple of magazines/clips, and no grenades?

Reloading:

How about being able to take individual rounds out of a stripper clip and load a rifle with them? I hate having to sit in a corner, button mashing on my mouse, trying to empty my rifle so I can put a new stripper into it before I rush a cap point.

Maybe a two stroke command (Alt or Ctrl + whatever is bound to "Reload") to take apart a stripper clip and have some singles to top off with.

Just a few thoughts.

The problem is that some people would just drop everything but their rifle and run around at hiper speeds byoneting people in the back and bayonet chargeing everything in sight. Easy to get shot out in the open but on maps like StalingradKessel it would be a huge spam fest of byonets chargeing and stabing all day long. The skill would be gone from the game in close qurters combat.

Upvote 0
The problem is that some people would just drop everything but their rifle and run around at hiper speeds byoneting people in the back and bayonet chargeing everything in sight. Easy to get shot out in the open but on maps like StalingradKessel it would be a huge spam fest of byonets chargeing and stabing all day long. The skill would be gone from the game in close qurters combat.

Probably not.

Good ideas CounTeR, it'd be cool if they put them in the game.

However, there are so many great (and simple, I might add) ideas that should be implemented in the game that the devs just pretty much ignore, that sadly, I doubt yours will ever come to fruition.

Upvote 0
Encumberance:

Reloading:

Just a few thoughts.

If anything, the player should not get "faster", he should get "slower". The players, move already with close to unrealistic speed around. I understand, that realistic movements, have to be a bit sacrificed for gameplay, cause who would realy like on such huge maps, to spend his most time with marching, as thats what you do most of the time moving slowly, as long you dont spot the enemies position and have a chance to assault it with succses. In ROO, its like you would be "joging around" all the time, with your equipment.

Dont make players faster please, but maybe a increase in stamina for Mgs, Pts and of course Panzerj

Upvote 0
the problem is just, how should the named player, try to keep up with his comrades when he moves slower ?

It could be a heavy disadvantage, at the cost of team work, which never can be a win for the game at all, particularly not for example, a class like machineguners.

I say, if anything, take away the abilty to jump, ore decrease the stamina, maybe even remove the abilty to "straff" while sprinting, if you are are loaded with many stuff. If you carry realy some weight around with you, you dont straff around while sprinting.

Upvote 0
the problem is just, how should the named player, try to keep up with his comrades when he moves slower ?

It could be a heavy disadvantage, at the cost of team work, which never can be a win for the game at all, particularly not for example, a class like machineguners.

I say, if anything, take away the abilty to jump, ore decrease the stamina, maybe even remove the abilty to "straff" while sprinting, if you are are loaded with many stuff. If you carry realy some weight around with you, you dont straff around while sprinting.

Have the MG'er give some of his ammo to a mate.

Upvote 0
I dont like it for 2 reasons:

1) It could damage teamwork, slow players, though they carry important weapons, would likely be left behind to fend for themselves.

2) RO is slow enough, we have very little sprint as it is, thats ok for Danzig or similar, but on vehical maps its allmost painfull if you cant get a ride, making it even slower.. well who would really want to play anti-tank'er on thouse maps then?

We have a good balance going now, i think tinkering with it could lead to bad stuff (TM).

Upvote 0

So the bayonets would replace the smg's in 'the rapefest'? :p

Upvote 0
I'm against different movement speeds but for a decrease, increase in stamina depending on weight. Maybe that's even already in, but if it is, it's barely noticable.

I think it's stupid how MGers can take up multiple fausts and satchels and have virtually no penalty. It may also against the idiots who are always taking ALL panzerfausts available at an ammo depot. I hate those guys.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I think the amount of stuff you can carry should only be limited by how many weapons you can sling on your back, ammo that can be stored in ammo pouches and rucksack (if you have it, but it'd add more weight). It'd be a pain in the butt carrying all that stuff but it's not impossible.

Speaking of reloading, your reloading speed should be effected by stance and where you store ammo, like if you store it in a rucksack it'd take longer. And I suggested it before but double tapping the reload key should make you just drop the magazine instead of taking your time to store it back, a 2 round magazine isn't going to do you much good.

Upvote 0
Only diffrence when moving around with knife in your hands makes you 'feel' that you don't get tired so easily is that your arms don't get any extra weight, and everything else is concentrated around your upper body.

Dont slow mgers down! Just make the guys stamina last longer when sprinting after he has lost the majority of his kit!

Let's take into account that to actually get any idea about 'realistic' stamina we would need first to get random stamina to each character which varies sliglty. Even though if you are in good shape and thin, that doesn't mean you would have good psychical condition when it comes to endurance.

So technically we would need varying stamina to each soldier and 'inventory' system. The more weight -> more stamina being drained and if the soldier is not exactly that good in running and such (while he may be otherwise fit to service) -> stamina is being drained even more.

But generally, RO is too 'small' scaled game to actually implement any of these. It's just not that great idea. I mean it. We would need MUCH more larger maps in order to have some real idea about how much diffrence there is between diffrent eguipment and such. Like HMG team might be able to run, but run like 50 metres that one guy carries HMG itself, one carries the tripod, others carry extra ammunition and such. Sure the guys with lesser gear would be able to run longer in full speed, but you can't just abandon your team.

And let's say a rifle squad, they might be able to do dash of their life for like 100 - 200m metres straight in combat, but then what? If someone is slowing down he can't be left behind. The weight of the gear is mainly concentrated to your stomach\chest, but imagine the effects:

Shoulders begin to wear down, your arms might start to get tired running and carrying this weapon of yours, have pouches filled up with ammo, have few grenades with you, have every damm unncessary item in your gear from combs to cleaning sets and needles and such - sooner or later you can notice that even your lower body starts to get exhausted.

Reason why the current stamina system is fine is caused by the facts that first of all, we would need teams. Not just random inviduals doing this and that and thinking "Okay I'm part of a squad (=random inviduals running around) and I feel so damm realistic"
Second, we would need to take into account the unit itself. Has it been in combat? How long? Have they been able to recover or rest? Have they eaten anything? Is the unit condition weakened?
Third, we need to varying staminas. This might not be hard to implement, but still, it's necessary for that.
Fourth, we would need to take weather AND the ground itself into account. You get much more easily worn down if you run in middle of large piles of snow and the temperature is cold and all you have is your normal service uniform on. And in hot temperatures you can always try to remove something off, but try to run one mile in 30 degree temperature (celsius). Especially if you haven't eaten for a whle anything you WILL begin to feel dizzy. Add the fact you might have not been able to eat anything expect some 'stinking' bread for like two days. Oh and add your hot service uniform in it and every other gear you can imagine carrying. Especially guy with HMG or some large AT weapon.

In short, the current stamina system works fine gameplaywise. If we want to have some realism in it, we would need to take too much crap into account which are impossible to implement in FPS games. Atleast some parts, like E.G. having proper HMG team or proper squad settings.

And good example would be this (based on personal experience):
Just walking around in M40 German service uniform with service cap and such in about 15 degrees (celsius) makes you already feel sweating, especially if you have 'warm' body temperature naturally and possibly have naturally large body size. And then add the fact uniform is 'dark' colour, then if sun is shining and balblalababl. It feels miserable with full gear on. And let's wait for even higher temperatures. And the fact sun is shining directly to you. And the fact you ARE moving around in full generic gear from weapon to pouches, grenades, some special eguipment (AT weapons) and so on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0