• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation JagdTiger {WIP}

Guys;
while I appreciate all the work being done to improve the vehicles available for RO and other Mods, do you realize just how few of the Jagdtigers that were actually produced and the problems that occurred with their use? Here is a little info I found on the web in case anyone was interested!

Combat history:

Only two heavy antitank battalions (schwere Panzerj

Upvote 0
Jagdtiger - schwere Panzerjager Abteilung.
sPzJagAbt 512 was formed in the Summer of 1944 and was composed
of two companies. Elements of sPzJagAbt 512 took part in the
Operation "Fruhlingerswachen" in Hungary (part of VI SS Panzer Army),
and then in the defense of the Fatherland on both Western and Eastern
Front. sPzJagAbt 653 was formed in the Spring of 1945 and probably
was not more than an understrength company. It probably took part in
Ardennes offensive and then was employed on the Western Front
(Rhein and Karlsruhe area).
It appears that 4 to 6 Jagdtigers were used by the schwere SS Panzer
Abteilung (101) 501 in April/May of 1945.:) It had 250mm armor on the front glacis, which made it
practically invulnerable to any frontal fire. an underpowered engine,
frequent breakdowns, and poor maneuverability. These problems, along
with the lack of a turret, made it extremely vulnerable to infantry with
anti-tank weapons. Still, when properly supported, the Jagdtiger was an
extremely formidable opponent:p

Upvote 0
Otto Carius commanded some Jagdtigers late in the war on the Western Front, IIRC. He details it in his book, Tigers in the Mud. to quote the technical term, he said they sucked. :D .

from all of the problems mentioned above, as well as the fact the gun had a support-holding thingy in the front, that forced crew members to expose themselves in action to free the gun for firing. HE HATED IT.

Reading the book, you get the clear idea he would have loved to go back into the Tiger I.

'Nuff said, eh? :p

Upvote 0
Otto Carius commanded some Jagdtigers late in the war on the Western Front, IIRC. He details it in his book, Tigers in the Mud. to quote the technical term, he said they sucked. :D .

from all of the problems mentioned above, as well as the fact the gun had a support-holding thingy in the front, that forced crew members to expose themselves in action to free the gun for firing. HE HATED IT.

Reading the book, you get the clear idea he would have loved to go back into the Tiger I.

I bet if they stuck the 1500hp engine it, he would change his mind :D

Upvote 0
I got to uv map it. I have exams around this time so once their over I will go back to the KT, this is just minor work.

Another update, by the time engine deck is rearranged and rear turret door + hatches are done the molded manlet should be prefected:

I do feel that the superstructure is too far forwards.
Looking at Karl's line diagram with the Henschel suspension, the front of the superstructure joins the hull almost behind the trailing edge of the 2nd road wheel. Your supserstructure joins ahead of the hub of the 2nd road wheel.

I should be down at Bovington on the 23rd June. I can dig out my pass and take some photos for you, both the K

Upvote 0
He also mentions how he hit the Shermans by just firing through buildings :D But his overall impression is that it s*cked :)
Rak your Right i have the book and he says its not as bad as the allies said you just got to know how to use it :p hehe and yes he shot at Shermans through buildings:D also he wanted so much to see what the jagdtigers gun will do to enemy tanks :)

Upvote 0
I do feel that the superstructure is too far forwards.
Looking at Karl's line diagram with the Henschel suspension, the front of the superstructure joins the hull almost behind the trailing edge of the 2nd road wheel. Your supserstructure joins ahead of the hub of the 2nd road wheel.

I should be down at Bovington on the 23rd June. I can dig out my pass and take some photos for you, both the K

Upvote 0
Recce

While you are taking pictures if possible get pictures of any tank interior sections like drivers area and inside the turret. The hardest pictures to come across are interior pictures that show the details so that we can use them to make the interior models for our vehicles. I don't know if some of these places let you take interior pictures or get close enough to take this type of picture. Also optics for the different tanks and artillery would be great. But I would imagine those would be hard to take if you could get close enough to even take them.

I and the other 3D artists would appreciate it very much.

Lex

Upvote 0
Recce

While you are taking pictures if possible get pictures of any tank interior sections like drivers area and inside the turret. The hardest pictures to come across are interior pictures that show the details so that we can use them to make the interior models for our vehicles. I don't know if some of these places let you take interior pictures or get close enough to take this type of picture. Also optics for the different tanks and artillery would be great. But I would imagine those would be hard to take if you could get close enough to even take them.

Lex
what pictures do you wont Lex :)

Upvote 0

ohh dont hit me with the [SIZE=-1]negative waves ITS [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Beautiful TANK AND ITS GOING TO BE THERE :D
[/SIZE]

Upvote 0
Recce

Lex
I hugely encourage this even though I'm not a modeler myself. Anything to make accurate models/ sight optics is a good thing. Also if trying to take a pic when looking through a sight use the cameras "macro" mode and put the camera as close to the eye piece as possible while still maintaining focus, also possibly set the flash too if it's too dark to see well. Or draw it by hand if you have good drawing skills.

Upvote 0
I myself could use about any early war German and Russian tank interiors and optics. But any equipment interiors and optics used during the war would be a great help to 3d Artists through out the RO community.
The interior and optic pictures are very hard to come by and as Quietus said
Anything to make accurate models/ sight optics is a good thing

Lex

Upvote 0
You're not allowed inside the tanks, so I really doubt I'll be able to do that for you.
The TZF 9d is supposed to have a 25degree FOV at x2.5, and a 14degree FOV at x5 magnification.
yeah dont worry we will get the jagdtiger optics:p and any other optics you guys wont, there is always some who knows someone who has them or can get them ;)

Upvote 0