• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Ponyri beta 2

Sichartshofen

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Download: http://www.maporchestra.com/downloads/p13_sectionid/23/p13_fileid/332

Beta 2 Change Log:
- Ponyri Station completely rebuilt
- Increased Russian reinforcements from 200 to 300
- Improved spawn protection
- Added more cover at Russians spawns
- Added more cover for the Russians to the school, station and tractor depot
- Extended the capzones at the hill and tractor depot
- Cut down half tracks to 1 at each spawn
- PzIV F1 limited to 5 respawns
- Minor visual tweaks

Screenshots:

Played it on a mostly full server; in all honesty I feel as though the map went by too quickly. By the end of it there was 18 minutes to spare.

I think the map could do with a more expansive village and at least one re-cappable objective. Additionally, you may want to distance the spawns or increase the spawn times because otherwise it was just people running in to each other almost constantly.

Upvote 0
It's still a bit heavy on arty, especially it feels that way while fighting for School. Also, I think Soviets need even more reinforcements.
The station now is much better than was in beta 1, but still I hope you will add some more details to it. Well, you know, not only empty floors, but something which make people belive that it's station in heavy combat area..

Upvote 0
The first thing I thought when I started this map was "looks a bit like Smolensk Stalemate or maybe Basovka". The next thing I thought was 'wow, over already?'

It really is over all too quickly, we saw almost no competition in the trenches right at the start so they seemed a bit useless, and we just steamrollered on, the only places where we saw any defense were at the buildings.

Even though I played this on the 44 player server the experience may be much improved with 50 players, but with only two servers currently catering for 50 players that's unlikely to happen.

I really did like going over the hill and seeing all the barbed wire and trenches at the start though, it all looked very nice, too bad there was barely any Russians putting up a fight... Looked like it could have been a real 'storming the beaches' moment if there had been enough Russians there.

Upvote 0
Well, I played this just briefly yesterday, and it does look better being on the ground than roaming in spectate view 50 or so meters up.

I say I played briefly, as the Germans just steamrolled over the Russians. My first thoughts when that happened were it seemed like June 22 1941 where the Russians had no clue as what was going on, not to mention, I was being fired on in the final spawn and getting taken out before I could even get to cover....

I still need to play more to really give better feedback though. :)

Upvote 0
Just played this map, and I must say that this map does not do the original any justice at all!

You should really consider renaming it cos it is not Ponyri!!

The russians get stuck with the ppsh41 which is a total abomination!! :mad: If the gun actually worked then the Ruskies would have half a chance holding the germans back!

And whats with the panzer???

Needs alot of work!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was lucky today, I got on the map and was able to play a full 1.5 rounds.... or about 5 minutes total. :D

The Germans absolutely crushed the Russians.

One recommendation is obvious: Please move or extend the map so the Germans do not spawn so close to the first objective. It seems they are there before the Russians even arrive to make an attempt to defend it.

Also, at some point, the Russians have to be able to successfully counterattack and retake some of the positions.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind this isn't a bloody port of the mod map.

This is what I think I will do for beta 3

- Move all the Russian spawns closer to the objectives or German spawns back, either way works.
- Temporary spawn at the first objective
- Make the village bigger
- Remove the tank and add a few more half tracks

The russians get stuck with the ppsh41 which is a total abomination!! :mad: If the gun actually worked then the Ruskies would have half a chance holding the germans back
Don't use it then.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind this isn't a bloody port of the mod map.

This is what I think I will do for beta 3

- Move all the Russian spawns closer to the objectives or German spawns back, either way works.
- Temporary spawn at the first objective
- Make the village bigger
- Remove the tank and add a few more half tracks

Don't use it then.

A short excerpt from the historical account of the battle for Ponyri, Ponyri Station and the hill..... Depicting the weapons and equipment for both sides.

"......The 18th Panzer Division contained 72 more conventional vehicles including 5 Pz II, 10 Pz III kz, 20 Pz III 75, 5 Pz IV kz, and 3 Pz Bef Cmd, and also the 101st Panzer Grenadier Regiment. 10th Panzer Grenadier Division had an exceptionally powerful artillery complement: seven artillery battalions, a Nebelwerfer regiment, a heavy mortar battalion and an assault gun battalion.

The Soviet units in this sector were from 29th Rifle Corps of the 13th Army. The front line units were the 15th and 81st Rifle Divisions. Behind them was the 307th Rifle Division - the unit primarily responsible for the defense of the Ponyri. In support of the 307th, the Russians massed the largest concentration of artillery ever allocated to a single infantry division. Additionally, everything the Soviets could muster was poured into the fight. The Germans encountered multiple interconnected trench lines, entire companies of dug-in tanks, battery after battery of anti-tank guns, tank hunting units with their anti-tank rifles and Molotov cocktails, and a constant stream of airstrikes from IL2 and Yak ground attack aircraft."

SOURCE

Upvote 0