• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Non-Armored Transports

Matanga

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2006
With the new player limits maps will get bigger and bigger.
ATM maps that weren't that fun due to being too big for 32 chaps, are gaining more adepts.
So it would be cool to have some un-armored transports like the GAZ-AA truck or GAZ-61/64 for the russians, or the Kubelwagen and Opel Blitz Truck for the germans.

This will allow to move troops from farther away into the front line, generating another chance for team work.

Of course these are non-armored so a single bullet to the engine should be enough to stop it, crew should also be really easy to kill with infantry guns.
This will stop sappers to try to use the faster vehicules for suicide satchel runs.

What do you think?

Not bad idea, but since RO is more combat based, a generic transport vehicle used to get soldiers and eguipment to the field and from there to the front would be rather unpractical IMO.

Unless we get MUCH more larger maps and some kind of idea of large 'frontlines', then it might be practically very useful.

Upvote 0
A couple of examples to make things clearer
In Barashka you could move the infantry spawn back to where the tankers spawn. Put a couple of trucks and use them to move soldiers to the cap zones.

In Berenzina the Russians could get a couple of trucks to speed up movement to the different cap zones.

In Bondarevo the Universal carriers could be replaced by a couple of GAZ-AAs

The idea is to allow faster movement to the "front area", specially for the defending team, on big maps

Upvote 0
Personally I wouldn't want to see trucks, jeeps, kubelwagens, kettenkrads, motorbike/sidecar combos or anything like that in RO.

Firstly because it's unrealistic (infantry weren't lorried up directly into combat, kettenkrads didn't do donuts round the battlefield shooting the place up etc.).

Secondly because it would be horribly misused. One guy would take a truck and drive it straight into the capzone, or someone would get a jeep and tear around running people over.

This is exactly what happens in Forgotten Hope, which has loads of unarmoured transport available. Some people made their name getting road kills (anyone remember Septic Death on the WOLF server?). And while it is undeniably the funniest thing ever to run over a series of enemy troops trying to panzerfaust you while honking the horn and laughing like a maniac in FH - God knows I've done it - I wouldn't want to see the same thing in RO.

But tank-riding would be sweet, we need that for sure.

Upvote 0
With the new player limits maps will get bigger and bigger.
ATM maps that weren't that fun due to being too big for 32 chaps, are gaining more adepts.
So it would be cool to have some un-armored transports like the GAZ-AA truck or GAZ-61/64 for the russians, or the Kubelwagen and Opel Blitz Truck for the germans.

This will allow to move troops from farther away into the front line, generating another chance for team work.

Of course these are non-armored so a single bullet to the engine should be enough to stop it, crew should also be really easy to kill with infantry guns.
This will stop sappers to try to use the faster vehicules for suicide satchel runs.

What do you think?

No matter how big the maps get, with the distance involved the area in the maps will always be considered the front line. Unarmoured transports, trucks etc were used to get troops to and from the front, but it wasn't a very wise idea to use them AT the front, in the middle of battle or driving to a battle. That is what the armoured vehicles were for. I don't think this type of thing should be added because it would add an element that any soldier using common sense wouldn't go anywhere near.

Upvote 0
Firstly because it's unrealistic (infantry weren't lorried up directly into combat, kettenkrads didn't do donuts round the battlefield shooting the place up etc.).

Secondly because it would be horribly misused. One guy would take a truck and drive it straight into the capzone, or someone would get a jeep and tear around running people over.

That is why the'll be un-armored. You wouldn't need a PF to destroy a truck.
One single bullet from a rifle to the engine and it should stop
One bullet to the passenger and he will die.
And don't get me started on what a nade should do to it :D

Upvote 0
That is why the'll be un-armored. You wouldn't need a PF to destroy a truck.
One single bullet from a rifle to the engine and it should stop
One bullet to the passenger and he will die.
And don't get me started on what a nade should do to it

Pointing that out, they would be useless then:
Someone sees the truck -> starts firing -> few well placed bursts and engine dead -> people starts shooting even more -> BOOM.

That large target is quite hard to miss by your eyes.

Alternatively, we would need 4-5x bigger maps with some idea of where is frontline and where is not in order to actually make proper 'use' of unarmored transports.

And really, when someone sees a truck it is instant global target to everyone. It's like if you pop your head in public game E.G. in Kaukasus as axis and you try to shoot someone, almost half of the allied team is then targeting or hunting you.

Upvote 0
It would be up to the mapper to implement it in scenario where it made sense. The original 'Hedgehog' was a great map for a truck (and I liked that version far more than the RO:O one). If a map features terrain, objective layouts, and other features where a truck has a chance to survive, then great. It also means players need to use them wisely, not go running off into the thick of battle, but stopping short, behind cover, and dismounting to assault on foot.

And we are working on a Gaz AA. Timeframe: soon-ish. Lex may come along and post an image when he's ready. I plan to implement it in my next map, if I can get back to working on it.

Upvote 0
It wasnt much more vulnerable than the halftrack was, as i remember... The only real difference i ever noticed was that it didnt have a mounted MG.

However i have to agree that unarmoured transports werent used, the mod didnt model them properly (as i remember they were quite resistant to bullets) so they were essentially an unarmed armoured vehicle. Each side already has transports and with the addition of tank riding there is even more transport capability. There is no niche for this to fill and its unrealistic, doesnt get my vote sorry.

Upvote 0
Well, you'll get it anyway. ;) Fact is, it will be a viable option for mappers to use. How they implement it in a gameplay/map sense will be up to them. And don't count the stock-tank-riding chickens until they hatch. Possible? Yes. Server friendly? To be determined. Once TWI gets the map pack out, we will take up the topic with Ramm and figure out the best way to proceed. We have a couple other vehicles in the works that could serve as transports as well.

People will complain one way or another about everything stock or custom. Mappers have the choices on what to use and how and players have the choice on whether to use the items or not as well as not play the maps if they don't like the content. That is what it comes down to. As for our development team, we are looking at what we want to make, can make, and how it best can benefit the community. Another transport option, in our opinion is more valuable than an early war KV1 (also on the list).

Upvote 0
It wasnt much more vulnerable than the halftrack was, as i remember... The only real difference i ever noticed was that it didnt have a mounted MG.

And it was extremely fast compared to the halftrack and it was much more easier to flip over.

I still remember managing doing triple sideflips in Kharkov once back then after doing extremely sharp turn.

Upvote 0