• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Pavlov's House

There was no barbed wire or threnches (in its common sense) near Pavlov's house.
Germans had to cross open area to assault the house.
Oh I thought I read from a first hand account that over time they'd put up barbed wire and other defenses like mines. Maybe it was somewhere else...

i wanted to do something with the editor, so i started making the house! exterior mainly done...
Wow, awesome! I mean CoD has the building pretty much down from what I've seen so you have a basis for it and the interior. But I was thinking the map would be set at a time when the House was fully fortified by the Russians.

A few of my ideas were:

- Make each floor a cap zone.
- Germans have to blow a hole in the basement to gain access(?)
- Germans have tanks(?)
- Few windows would be without some sandbags, just making it harder for tanks to fire in to.
- Most ground floor windows would be blocked with sandbags and such, leaving only a small space to fire out from, and making it harder to chuck grenades in.
- Limit grenades if possible, I've seen this on a few maps and it really stops it becoming a fragfest.

Obviously the historical accuracy of these ideas is open to criticism from the more educated members.

By the way the mod version looked nice, just a bit too easy to access for what I was thinking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That looks awesome.
There was a great pavlovs house in FH. There was a capture point in the attic and nobody spawned inside of the house so fighting whent back and forth.
That would be the best, let the Russians spawn at a point out of the building and they have to use the trench to get in. The Germans spawn at the opposit and have 1 or 2 Pz III's. The Russians can deal with those by AT guns.
Though I thing that every floor needs to be a object (or even more objects at each floor).
The Germans have tanks as cover, the Russians have the trench.

Upvote 0
I think that there shouldn't be AT guns, just panzer 3's and AT RIFLES.

Don't make russians on the attack, they wern't.

Germans should advance across the square, the building was facing the river.

@whoever said there wasn't any barbed wire or minefields

I've read that it did on wikipedia and in "Stalingrad" by steven ambrose, but if you're reading the 1st hand accounts it's best to go with that.

Nice work so far!

Upvote 0

Don't make russians on the attack, they wern't.

Germans should advance across the square, the building was facing the river.

@whoever said there wasn't any barbed wire or minefields

I've read that it did on wikipedia and in "Stalingrad" by steven ambrose, but if you're reading the 1st hand accounts it's best to go with that.

Nice work so far!
If you make the defences too strong then the germans wont stand a hope in hell of taking the house. If you make the map too realistic it wont be fun at all to play.

Upvote 0
pavlovhouseer4.jpg

this is supposed to be pavlovs house, the lower middle house.
but it seems larger and has more windows then on other pictures, but maybe the picture was taken before a part of the house collapsed.

Upvote 0
If you make the defences too strong then the germans wont stand a hope in hell of taking the house. If you make the map too realistic it wont be fun at all to play.

I think if we take out AT guns which wern't realistic and put in AT rifles which were it would be alot EASIER for the germans.

EDIT: that pic fits in with pavlovs house facing the river and having a square in front of it.

Upvote 0
maybe the picture was taken before a part of the house collapsed.
That sounds more likely.

There shouldn't be too much barbed wire and other anti infantry defenses so it's impenetrable but I'm pretty sure that there was some barbed wire and stuff, and obviously just some general debris around.

And Cap I think he meant PTRD when he said AT guns.

Upvote 0
And Cap I think he meant PTRD when he said AT guns.

AT guns were occasionally hoisted up into the floors of buildings, so it's not unheard of to have them inside a building. I dunno if that happened at Pavlov's House, though.

The RO mod map had PTRDs, but no vehicles for the germans. The PTRDs were just snipers who got killed just as fast as everyone else--about once every 4 seconds. The area around the house was so close that you didn't need a scope on your rifle to pick people off at max distance, so you were easy pickings on either side. I think that was a problem made that the map less fun.

If you're going to keep the layout as realistic as, say, Tractorworks or Leningrad, then you'll need to add a lot of rubble outside the House to let the Germans scurry in and out of, and for the Russians to hide in.

Upvote 0
That is what I meant, AT rifle's/PTRD's (sorry for the confusion).

I think that the first russians have to start at the beginning of the game in the appartment (as the last survivors) and that new reinforcements come trough the trench (that is how it was).

@SchutzeSepp, really a nice building, this must be as good as Pariserplatz.

Upvote 0
i meanth that a part of the side of the building had collapsed, as shown on your picture. because on the airplane picture the building appears to have 13 windows per level, while on other pictures it has 11.

mappavlov.jpg

apparently they did have 1 AT gun, and it is interesting to note that according to this plan the germans came from all around except the south.​

Upvote 0