• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Suburbs of Kharkov

ViViD

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
Well after discussions and input in the Hubes Breakout we are going to attempt to start on Kharkov, or the entry of Kharkov.

I personally am not a fan of very dense urban battles, so we want to do something slightly different and have it very much in a suburban setting.

But I would also like the community help in map design for a change. <smile>
If you would like involvement whether that is creating a house or a object in the map or even more work please feel free.

These are our thoughts so far, but all input in what you would like to see and details added please shoot them.

Two roads side by side with the german entering the suburbuan streets, they have 2 tanks one for each street but only 3 respawns, the infantry must clear out the houses lining each side of the road, so to protect the tanks, once a couple of caps, the tanks and german infantry roll to a position which a town centre, a little more dense but nothing over 3 storeys.

The survival of the tanks are need as russian have a counter attack installed with russian T-34's and carrier infantry are on the prowl these a re going to try and push the german back out of that position and without tanks the german would be in a hellva lot of trouble.

The team with the most amount of objectives held win.

http://www.battlefront.co.nz/Article.asp?ArticleID=275 the game 2 map we have in mind with a little more dense down the road, you can view some images we have of kharkov suburbs we have in mind here

http://www.battlefront.co.nz/Article.asp?ArticleID=271

Thoughts opinions we really are aimming at this to be different thenstandard urban stuff available.

if you remake the Call of duty 1 Kharkov map, then you are my hero!
that map would work verry well in RO.

this one offers itself best imo to make a succesfull map, it just needs to be a bit longer

Kharkov-game-map-5.jpg

Upvote 0
Dzerzhinsky Square would be very neat to use. I think the Germans entered it from the West though, and those tall buildings will need to show up. The square had plenty of open areas, though, and you could easily hide AT guns all around the place. It would turn out as more of an open half-and-half between tanks and infantry, since those buildings would be like fortresses. It's a good map for 50 players.

Upvote 0
I looked at the map and have a few images of the square I think, we may do this as well but it take a long time to do, a bit like leningrad its a huge undertaking, plus those huge buildings are a map and half in themselves, although I can see some great infantry fights inside those buildings.

Perhaps its like two seperate fights a few tankers out in the square and infantry fighting in the metroplis of rooms. Probably take me several years to finish LOL.

----------------------------

In the meantime we get the suburbs of kharkov out the way first. So any comments or thoughts on this?

---------------------------

One thing I won't do even if it make me villian is recreate any of the COD stuff ever, I rather put the nightmare of COD for me under a mat and stomped on, it too fast, too cssish and too gamey. (no offence)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really like the idea of a community concocted map I was going to suggest this after my projects are out the door. I just dont have the time to do the detail that I would like to do. Vivid I have an idea for an urban map like this I was thinking about maybe we can discuss more on it. put me down for a structure at least we will see what else I can work in.

Upvote 0
I've been thinking since the mod map Kharkov (an official map) that you could have an all-interior map of the inside of that place since it's all connected.

Just have 3000 reinforcements per side and set the round timer to 4 hours.
LOL! That's actually an insanely cool idea. Set the timer for 3 days and have like 80 objectives and everytime one team captures 2 objectives they are locked out so they can't be recapped & taken back to square one if most the players leave and the rest try to capture everything back while no ones there. Players could join and fight for as long as they want then leave and come back later and see how the battle is progressing, fight some more etc.

Upvote 0
Ok guys I going to start on the big structure, actually there are two lots identical to each other so once one is done the other shouldn't be much harder.

I am thinking we map a hellva lot of the interior as well. Not that I have floor plans to this. If someone has great shoot them over to me if not I just make it up as I go along. You say it is the univertsity ?? in that case it give me a structure of classrooms and labs and so forth.

I think the fight for the square is actually really a infantry fight for the university and a tank fight for the square itself. Even so I will post images as I go and divinehammer you definately down for a structure, hopefully someone else will be down for a strucutre as well.

Divine I was thinking see the building in ShutlzeSepp to the right with the explosion, you very much welcome to that one to start with.

I going to do the Monster! with the catwalk from one buildin to the next. ARRgh

Upvote 0
i think it would actually be a cool map, i suggest you make all the buildings with only the first and maybe second floor modeled, so you fight for a building, and between every building there is a small open street fight. it would give lots of diversity. and later on you can decide to model higher levels.

maybe make all the building exteriors, and then letting those who want model the interior?

Upvote 0
Well I started the monster building I going to allpost images as I do it, and let people know how I am doing it. Also I going to do the whole thing, I am hoping a few others may want to model some of the other large surrounding buildings if not I get it done eventually.

I going to attempt it in three sections, the first section is the overbridge and what I guess is stair wells either side.

I did a lot of number crunching and set my grid to 8, everything was then made to be a even number divisible of 8, so it would bit on the grid.

The windows I approximate to be 1.2m wide, this is using a rough guess.

So this is the progress so far, question hints or tips gratefully welcome.

PS. I did the stairs by normal stair tool then making a triangle (vertex edited cube to get the sloping underside of the stairs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
crap. I got to this too late. :( . I have been agitating for a 3rd battle of Kharkov map forever. however, do we really need yet another infantry-only slugfest in a city setting?

check out some of the maps and topographical maps that some guys did for Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin. these guys made some scenarios and operations (linked scenarios), dealing with the whole ebb & flow of the battle Jan-March 1943 (which culminated in the capture of Kharkov).

you can see it at www.blowtorchscenarios.com

anyways, not trying to pee on the parade. I do have lots of primary source material on the battle it looks like you are depicting, including an excellent book called Platz Der Leibstandarte (see it on amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Platz-Leibsta...8960950?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179345039&sr=8-1

it is filled with dozens of nice quality photos of the urban battle (and the lead up to it). depending upon where you live, I can get my copy to you (perhaps even by mail, I trust you :) ). the pictures in there would definately be helpful for either project.

of note, note sure how ambitious you want to get, but doing the battle properly also requires re-skinning for the soldiers uniforms. Waffen SS units in winter coats, and the same for russians. SS Pannzer crews as well.

please reach out if I can help at all. I would be glad to assist. :)

Proest!

Upvote 0
hey heinz good to see another cmbb player to balance up these css kiddies <smile>

We actually making two maps, Luthers doing one which would be more like the blowtorch scenarios (called the suburbs) but both will be heavily infantry with tank support.

And I going to make ROs first apartment (university) room to room fight (I think) with the what I am doing above but I going to add some tankers to have fun in the square.

Majority from what I been reading laterly is heavy amounts of infantry with lots of heavy support weapons such as tanks and field arty deployed in DF mode.

For the suburbs we need some good quality photos of various suburban houses and also small two or three story shops, buildings.

For the square I need anything you have <smile>

Also got on order from amazon Battles of Kharkov, should be with me in about a month LOL. BTW please assist how you can after I make this uni, I going to get people to help with where the objectives should be or what should be added and where. So trust me stay tuned to this channel and anyone can have input on this uni.

Heinz do you map at all? If so you could end up doing one of the other blowtorch scenario maps more vechile oreintated and we could help you out with supply of houses some that Luther iand I are doing to fit in with the overall experience. Then we could release all three Kharov battles in one hit, but it looks like we aiming for two at the moment.

THe idea of reskinning is great unfortunately not a skinner, and if someone want to do this and what their work on displat we can add it to the map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0