• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I just bought the game today First Impressions.

Fragem420

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 13, 2007
Ok I took my lazy *** today and rode the subway from Flushing Queens into manhattan to buy red orchestra as I would rather buy a box copy of anything I get. So once I get home I install the game. First problem. The cd's are marked in the wrong order. CD 1 is marked as CD 2 and CD2 is marked at CD1.

After Installing the game I wait for the usual updating and validations that go with a steam installed game. And watch the trailers of the game on the bonus DVD. I also get with the collectors edition full cards of all official map layouts , that is a big bonus.

So I fire up RO and look for any training missions and finding out there are none. So what do I do I go look for a RO server and being compeletly new.

Ok my first battle took me about a minute to find some action, as I am already famalier with DOD it didn't take long for me to figure out that lying down and crouching was better then being out in the open. It took about 5 time dying before I scored my first kill on a infantry unit with a at rifle.

Some things I tked some tanks because I thought they were the enemies, it would be nice if there would be a flashing icon letting you know that was a friendly tank. Overall the battle ambience and combat is really good, really a step up from DOD classic and just shames dod:S.

Also like most games of this type there appears to be a blatant lack of teamwork. Especially with the tanks. I was told at least twice to get the **** out of their tank. And he was telling other people not to be in his tank too. What the hell you want the tank to your self. Didn't real tanks have at least 3 people manning it, where did the battlefield mentality come in to being.

Upvote 0
666! AWWWWW THATS TWICE AS MUCH AS THE NUMBER 333 THAT HAUNTS ME!!! AWWWW I CAN'T GET AWAY!

On another note, I'm Strother, I'm a bit crazy, and some call me an asshole, so if you see me afking, just :rolleyes: and walk away.

By the way, you'll catch on to all differences between the two sides, and when you do and you go to play some inferior ww2 game you'll be all elitist because you can tell the difference between a russian soldier and german soldier at 300 yards just by their outline on the horizon.

Upvote 0
Wow..trasher...errrr..scrotum..errr..Strother...damm...:D

It took you ONE sentence before you speak of yourself before giving the newb a hand...oh man...thats darn lame....

On another note, I'm Strother, I'm a bit crazy, and some call me an asshole, so if you see me afking, just :rolleyes: and walk away.
Dont do that...if you see em..shoot em...

LOL its soooom easy to post in a reasonable and civilazied manner...even if my english is croped up some times..iam able to bring my point accross...anyhow..you are just another troll not worth my time..

TIPey...fight in the shades....

Stay back a bit and watch the guys doing their thing. Choose the rifle. Its a good and reliable weapon to begin with. Or you might feel swarzeneggerish today and you might choose the ppsh...Just try to listen to that ONE guy that uses Voip in public. Hes reliable. Also stay close to comrades and 5.1 Headsets are made for win.....AIM with care...soemtimes bullets might flew around you , but keep your stance and ****ing FIRE ...best aimed to their heads...oh..and..whatever cover there is..its your friend...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The lack of team work in tanks is because of the lack of local voice chat working in tanks. A long well known bug that apparently only happens for players and not the devs because they have said they have trouble duplicating it. Hopefully they will get it figured out soon and team tanking will become alot easier.

Upvote 0
The game is pretty good. Good Idea on the box version. Keep your recipt. If your accout gets hacked, "like mine did" you will need to scan a copy of it. Steam is lazy on getting you your account back. I've been waiting for 4 months now. Lucky I baught the dl and box version.
For team play its cool. You have noobs and you have clan guys. people with clan tags are willing to usually help you out. JUST ASK. I did and now I pwn the all "u too putz":D The game is pretty great, no x hairs and to bayo someone is AWESOME.
good luck and hope to see your queens rear alot more.

PS get a mic it helps!

Upvote 0
About the whole teamwork situation...

Just go with the flow, man.
RO is like a river... a river full of explosives and tanks and stuff, man.
But if you fight the current you'll have a bad time, man.
So don't like tell people where to go, man.
They know whats going on, so just follow someone.
Watch what regulars and vets are doing.

This basically means don't try to force the gameplay to what you see in run n' gun shooters 'cause that'll get you murdered. :p

Upvote 0
re: Tanks and Teamwork

Some Maps it's makes no sense to have 2-3 people manning a Tank. You need as many Tanks in the field as possible or you'll get pwned due to being outnumbered. This might be different for higher pop servers though.

Many of us have also had bad expriences with other members in the Tank:

1) Gunners that turn the Turrets and pitch the barrel into odd positions then abandon the Tank without notice. Driver spots enemy, notices Gunner gone, takes gun position, and gets blasted while trying to get aim on target

2) Far from spawn, taking aim on enemy, some idiot jumps into drivers position and starts driving off, **bam** dead.

3) In Gunner position with Driver teammate. Driver sees enemy, starts yelling "shoot!" reepeatedly, while driving full speed and constantly changing direction.

After those 3 experiences I'm not really interested in Tank Crew Teamplay. Within a well run Clan it can be very effective and I've had a few good experiences with Tank Crew as well, but those good experiences are the exception and not the rule on Public Servers.

Upvote 0
Yeah there are some real whackjobs that are impossible to tank with. I usually opt for being the driver, you can do a pretty decent job as a driver even if the commander is ****e.

The trick to get a crew of 2-3 in public play is to try to join other people in the tank a few times, just to see if they're worth having there. If you get a good run with someone, try to stick to them and you'll improve as a tank unit pretty quickly. As a driver, try to take as few initiatives as you can (remember to angle the tank, stop well before the tank reloads, and use cover if possible). As tank commander, try to at least use the tank-comms (the left/right/forward/stop and enemy spotted are the most important).

I've had some great runs with random ppl on public servers, just accept the fact that sometimes there will only be a bunch of retards on there :) I do feel it's better to treat everyone who joins up in your tank as a decent tanker until proven otherwise; I get pretty pissed off at those that think they're the best tankers in the world and refuses to let anyone in their tank (usually takes the driver seat and just sits there, or drives into a minefield). If I've tried tanking with someone a few times, and the guy who gets in with me is clearly an asshat, then I'll tell him to get out... but at least give ppl a chance :)

Upvote 0
Go to the library and borrow some books on World War 2 armor. No flashing icon necessary.

No Germans need a flashy Bat icon

1314018.jpg

Upvote 0
There's gonna be a mega patch coming this month or the next (I'm not sure) allowing RO: O to increase the number of players to 64 and not forgetting TW's continued support. There's also gonna be 3 other top mods coming out as well that offer newer maps, vehicles, weapons, other nations, etc and they are also going to get TW's backing. Never have I had a retail game that was well worth every penny as this :)

Upvote 0