• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Flakturme

Anyone considered doing a map centered around the defense of a German Flak tower? I recently became interested in them and thought it would make an intense map.

Yes I had looked at doing one of those I had it all drawn up on paper. Essentially I think that it would be only one or two large buildings. For mine I was going to put destroyable flak guns on top making it the final objectives. you would have to make lots of stairs as they are easy to cover. Russian assaulters would have to out weigh Germans by alot. I think it would be a relatively easy map to put together lots of repetition. I still may give it a try I would be happy to work with someone on it mapping just takes so much time that I dont have.

Upvote 0
They were generally avoided by aircraft due to the amount of fire power they had and ground troops who tried to take them failed. 3 meters of reinforced concrete. Nothing is getting through that.

A map like this would be quite simple. Like Pavlovs house from the mod, except alot more dead Russians. Have 1 objective outside the bunker then once that's taken the Russians will need to roll up an IS-2 to blast the doors out. Then it's all fighting inside the bunker to the roof where the FlaKs have to be blown.

With the right references I could make something like this in a week after Ponyri is released.

Upvote 0
If you made a bunch of the key walls into destroyable meshes, you could have those blown up by a combination of tank fire from the outside (I would suggest one tank in the level) and satchels on the inside (I would suggest one sapper in the level). One blast from the tank would dig a bit into the outside, and one sapper blast would dig a little into the inside.

If the size of the map is kept small, maybe you could lessen the performance impact of having all those destroyable meshes.

But now that I think about it, it would still suck to play.

I would rather see a fictional battle for the gas tanks in Vienna, the Gasometers:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasometer,_Vienna

Upvote 0
I did some quick measurements based on the wiki sizes the tower itself would be 3700UU square quite a large building. I think raising the building enough on the terrain to put a retaining wall around the whole building would allow the Russians to change up they're attack by varying sides. Treetops could be placed to cover the approach to give them a sporting chance of getting their. Also in my design I had an ammo dump in the basement with elevators that went to different levels. I think this would keep it interesting. The ammo dump would be accessible via a sewer or underground access.
It also looks like some generations of these towers were many stories where as the first was 4 or 5 I guess we need to see some more documentation. As for if the infantry ever took one doesnt really matter I think plausable history is enough to go on.

Upvote 0
somewhere around here I have a book that covers the flak towers.. big green sucker.

They were really friggen big, and worked in teams.. A well done map of with them would be cool.. if you wanted to get ambitiious, you could make a map of Berlin where you have to take a series of flak towers, as i believe several worked in 'groups', with one main 'control' tower that directed the fire.

I think it would be an excellent late-work 'plausible' map idea!. i say go for it.. make sure it doesn't suck :]

Upvote 0
Berlin "Tiergarten" Flakturm on a 1:1 scale. Russians approach isn't final yet but they will have an IS-2 to blow out the front doors. After that it's all close combat up to the roof.

tiergarten1rm3.jpg

Upvote 0
Inside the towers

Inside the towers

Does anyone know what the insides of these towers looked like? I would imagine they would have a radio room to coordinate attacks with other towers, supply room for repairs of the flak guns, ammunition room, and a place for troops to sleep. Did they have slits so they can have snipers and riflemen shoot at infantry on the ground? What other kinds of defenses did they have other than the thick concrete walls?

Upvote 0
I would imagine they would have some anti tank guns and field guns poking out each side for defence against ground forces. As well as numerous MG slits.

Some simulated aerial bombing would be cool too. Fly-by SM planes triggering arty barrages around and on it, with maybe a wide pattern, to add to the soviets difficulty with stray bombs. Maybe tweak the arty effect to make some of the bombs 2000KG bunker busters with a 100m kill radius....

Maybe a reinforcement ratio of 8:1 or 10:1 in favor of the russians. 100 germans vs 1000 russians. They could also get a couple of feild guns for use against the firing slits.

Upvote 0
Slashbot

Slashbot

Good to see you around Slash. We missed you man. Did my eyes deceive me or did your sig say you are working on a new orel? There was alot of speculation on a thread called "What's up with Orel?" that is closed now. Would you please start a new thread with what your doing? I know almost every armor enthusiast will get a lump in their throats when they see it. Good to see you again.

"were not worthy....were not worthy...were not worthy.." - Wayne's World

PS: Might be a good idea to have other towers in the background since they worked in groups. You could say this one is the control tower and taking it would disable the network. Just expanding on Drax's idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0