• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Heavy Weapon Crews

Scipiiouse

Feb 19, 2006
I was just thinking that Instead of having to pick up a heavy weapon (PAK 38 as an Example) I was thinking that it would be a good idea that at the choose kit menu, theres two buttons, One is Infantry and the other is Crews.
There could be a maximum to 4 weapon crews on a map, with 3 or 4 per Crew, and you could either join one or make a new one, at which case you could then pick what heavy weapon to use (I don't mean like an Anti Tank or MG, I mean like artillery pieces)

Just an Idea, Flame or Fame, take your pick.

I believe we'd be "abstracting" the loader role. The only other way to do it would be to have two positions, one for loader/spotter and the other for gunner. The gunner wouldn't be able to fire unless the loader/spotter was in the gun.

Only trouble is, that's not how the current AT guns work. They abstract the role of the loader and gunner into one role, and simply delay the speed at which you fire.

I still think this would be a good idea, though, to have AT guns mannable only by crews. But maybe this should wait 'til we have some more AT guns and/or other crew-served weapons. I'd also give the crewmen a carbine of some sort, or SMG maybe, with only a few clips. No grenades, though. Not the usual pistol loadout.

Upvote 0
I think he means that. Which would be more realistic, i mean wern't troops specifically trained to be in an anti tank gun detatchment.

Yes, there have been special trained artillery crews, serving in the one or other part of the military. The wehrmacht, Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe had most of the time their own "class" trained for the use of some weapons. One example, the use of the 88 Flak, most of the time manned by artillery mens.. Though I think most AT-guns have been designed the way, that they are easy to use or at least to load from any usual soldier. Aiming and knowing the "weak spots" of the target, is truly a different story, and makes the advanced artillery men, or officer in most cases.

I dont think it is unrealistic if soldier can use AT guns and a special class just for that purpose, might be unnecessary.

Yeah, giving a shell to the gunner is 100% pure fun !!! :rolleyes:
Why? It would not be less fun, like a driver from a tank, that found a perfect spot for your "guner" (commander) and you spend the rest of the map, just in your driving seat, cause the machine gun is already in use. Its still fun, when your crew owns the other team! Why? Cause you get the points as well. It happens all the time, when I share the IS2 with someone, that I end as driver often doing nothing, after I angled my tank, and the Gunner spends the rest of the time, killing the enemy, now is this less fun? Maybe, for some, not for me, cause I am a team person.

I sense it the same way, in giving or loading shells in side a AT-weapon. As long you share all the points together from the kill. And as long you have some animation to it :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How about the Loader also "paints" targets. So he has a pair of binocs, and when he clicks on a group of inf it will alert the gunner. For example there's a tank at 10'o clock

a voice command or message across the screen "ENEMY TANK LEFT 10 O'clock!"

or a group of infantry

"ENEMY INFANTRY RIGHT 2 O'clock!"

as well as doing this he loads the gun.

I think that's a good fix.

Upvote 0
it wouldn't be easy. I mean who guides the AT gun, they could choose to stear it into enemy fire or an unteneble position. Would require too much trust in the "driver" of the AT gun. I think AT guns should be stationery and so should heavy mgs. I mean your assistant could run off with your tripod!

AT guns should have crew though. One spotter loader, One guy aiming and firing.

Heavy Mgs should have one gunner and numerous assistants. The Mgs should not be moveable only in fixed positions, with optics in some cases. They should have low recoil and be deadly to overcome by all but a sniper.

Upvote 0