• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Revolt: The Decimation

Byte Me

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2006
Virginia, USA
New source mod coming out today at 8PM EST (GMT -5) *EDIT*: ITS OUT NOW. Its called Revolt: The Decimation. No cross hairs and there is iron sights. COF is small (actually, it might be non-existent, it seems recoil is the only thing that will throw off your shot) but it looks like recoil is high. In their forums there is sticky to youtube videos of ingame gameplay (make sure your not in the COD section, there was a COD version of Revolt too). There are two different ways to play, "High Grain" is for clan play and "Low Grain" is for pub play (the "grain" references to the amount of gun powder in the cartridges, low grain = less damage and less recoil, they named it this way to tie into the story). There are several game modes, though I am confused as to what each one is and if they or map specific, to much tying into the story, not enough straight explanations. Five maps and nine weapons (there are four weapons spread around the map that you can only pick up and don't spawn with) are in this first beta (called "seasons", again to tie in with the story). And there is a manual up, though I only read enough of it to make this post :p. Oh and, you need to have the source SDK base installed (under tools in steam).

Last edited:
Man I've been having a blast, this is great first beta. The maps are small but even with 12 people there can be some intense action. I still don't understand how to score a goal on a couple maps, I guess I'll eventually figure it out. The only major downsides I think are:
  • Really low rates of fire for all automatics
  • You can only sprint forward (if you try to strafe while sprinting forward you well end up at normal speed but still eat away at your stamina meter)
  • The version with of the m14 with a holotech sight is useless and has no defined role.
  • Player animations are strange looking
  • The rocket launcher doesn't really fit well into the gameplay style (you do spawn with 2 nades that you can throw pretty far)
  • No bullet penetration at all
  • Shotgun's effective range is too short (very, VERY wide spread)
  • buttstock melee attack is 1 hit kill (though its probably the range and/or quickness you can use it at that is the problem)
  • Height of some cover needs adjustment (either too short or too tall for standing and/or crouched)
Some pluses are:
  • accurate/realistic reload animations (except for maybe the berreta, not sure)
  • You have to wait about a quarter to half a second before you gun stabilizes in IS.
  • Any bugs it may have do not effect gameplay in any major way (especially important for a first beta)
While I haven't played Low Grain mode yet, I'm sure it will be just as fun as High Grain. It feels kind of like RO, just with a lot of features left out. Its a great first release you all should be playing instead of reading this post :p! Oh, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the pro or con category; If you get shot and sit still for about 5 seconds, you get some health back. Its only a few points and it does encourage taking and using cover.
The original Revolt was a sorta-realistic tactical shooter based on the war in Iraq.

WTF happened?
It seems the name and gameplay were kept the same but the story was changed. Probably so they could have more freedom over the weapons they could put in.

Upvote 0
Toggle IS and crouch are now possible with a little scripting. Going to have to copy and paste since it seems the entire site and forum is done through javascript (no URL's).

I have made a small script to enable people to toggle both ads and crouch.

Code:
alias ads_toggle "ads_on" 
alias ads_on "alias ads_toggle ads_off; +ads" 
alias ads_off "alias ads_toggle ads_on; -ads"

bind "MOUSE2" "ads_toggle"
Enter that into your config file changing the "MOUSE2" to whatever key you use to aim down sites.

Toggle Crouch:

Code:
alias duck_toggle "duck_on" 
alias duck_on "alias duck_toggle duck_off; +duck" 
alias duck_off "alias duck_toggle duck_on; -duck" 

bind "x" "duck_toggle"
Same as the ads toggle, change the "x" to whatever key you use to duck.

These work like most toggles. Hit the key once to pull up your ads and again to take it down. Same with crouch.

Hope this helps all those who wanted it for so long.

Behr
Open up your the file config.cfg in C:\Whatever Your Path is\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Decimation\cfg and simply copy & paste the lines (labeled as Code above) in your config.cfg file. Forwhatever reason, ads does mean IS.

Upvote 0
so its a source mod, but for what source game specifically?
From the Revolt forums...
fhub
I don't own hl2 and im currently on the beta team and i can run revolt fine. I do this with just aobut every hl2 mod and i haven't had any problems so far.

All you really need to run mods is the source engine (unless they are hl2 campaign mods) so i have the CSS package that comes with hl2 death match and Day of defeat source.

all you need to do is go to the mod's folder and open up gameinfo.txt

then look for the like
SteamAppId 240 //sourcebase

yours will be a different number all you need to do is change it to 240.
Then the mod will show up on your steam list and you can play

i haven't gotten a single error in problem and i have downloaded over 20 different mods using this.

so if you have friends that own counter strike source but not hl2 tell them they should be able to play this mod
So it looks like as long as you have the source SDK base you can run it if you have HL2 or CS:S. Though really, I don't even think you can get Counter-Strike: Source without HL2, so unless your just trying to save space I don't see the need to do this.

Upvote 0
From the Revolt forums...
So it looks like as long as you have the source SDK base you can run it if you have HL2 or CS:S. Though really, I don't even think you can get Counter-Strike: Source without HL2, so unless your just trying to save space I don't see the need to do this.

It's been possible to buy CSS and DODS seperately for a while now.

Upvote 0