• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design What's going on with Orel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quietus

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
California
Are you done with it? Is the project abandoned? Do you plan to implement some of the new AT guns that are coming? (such as the Zis3). Have you considered taking some of the best elements from the new version (enclosed bridges) and putting them in the original version? Should I stop pestering and make my own tank map? Answer= I wish I had the time so I could (but I don't). Alot of tankers out there that would love some updates.

I second that emotion.

The rumor is that the new map is being worked on. It is currently too laggy and has some other minor bugs. Perhaps if the developer would get rid of the cheezy wind sound and rushing river sound that would help the lag a bit?

In my opinion, the old Orel and Orel Redux maps will still be around for a long time. The Redux Orel map is very popular right now.

Although it would not be historically correct, I have a fantasy that somebody will make a hugh tank map like this which will include all the current drivable vehicles including the upcoming BT7 (from mappack) and Pz II (from Mare Nostrum). That would be better than sex IMHO.

Throw in the PTRD and the upcoming German AT Rifle from Mare Nostrum with 64player support and I would climax into RO Ecstasy LOL!

Upvote 0
Are they that popular?
Sure FK can get pretty full with Orel and in particular this redux version- last night I joined when running 88 vs 76 and it only had max of about 18.
I see a few on 181 and RGN now and then, which I presume has US timezone players, as it tends increase when its late where I am. How are the numbers playing the map on these servers at their peak times?
The other Orel servers always seem empty.

Are tankers crying out for a new version, or are there simply not enough all-out tankers out there anymore?
Has the much talked about 'balance' issue had an effect?

I would love to see an official update to the Orel series, and certainly new large tank maps. If I had the time to get to grips with the editor this is what I would be working on also - but is there the demand?

I don't know if it's discontent with the maps or the tank system itself but it seems to me tanking isn't as popular as it was.

Upvote 0
RGN has been running the ORIGINAL Version of Orel by Slashbot_427 with the Panthers and T34/85's along with the other vehicles. We moved away from all the different 'hacked" versions. Seems our players like this version better. I know I do. :)
Here's what I want to see: The original Orel with all the bug fixed (river crossing, fubar ruins steps, ghost bridge to nowhere, objectives descriptions filled out on overhead map, tank crews not given satchels, new revised tank loadouts with only historic tanks avaliable in Orels timeframe, the tank loadout altered with Armored beast mutator in mind, some AT guns on both sides, fix floating trees, fix collidable grass, fix the bridges and the way they are destroyed and make only one segment destroyable so there aren't 3 icons on top of each other and you still don't know what the friggin status is of the bridge, & probably more stuff I forgot or am unaware of. Note: when I say "original Orel" I mean the first one not the 2nd laggy CQC revamped one with the church & 8 million trees scattered across the land.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Quietus.

Shutup already. If slashdot or anyone else wanted your opinion they would ask you for it. Not that anyone they would.
It'd be nice to finally have a finished frustration free tank map to play & enjoy besides yours. I guess I will shut up and just be a passive onlooker since all my ideas seem to be tremendously stupid and terrible.
Slashdot, like myself, has set priorities, and mapping being very near the bottom of that list.
I just find it incredible that he made 2 full maps yet can't find the time to fix either one of them...... I mean really incredible.

Upvote 0
Fact is, that Sloshbot has posted before that he is still working on the map so the question posed in this thread is valid.

I think this is simply a case of a bunch of people thinking that their opinions are more important than other. Simply put, you don't speak for Slashbot.

You all need to take a chill pill for a minute and allow Slashob himself to come here and post an answer. My take is that that this is all the original poster was asking for in the fist place.

So if you have nothing concrete or positive to contribute, maybe all the negative types might want to leave this thread. How about it?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.