• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Features out of the genre

aag567

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
It'd be cool if jumping was done Zelda style where you just jump when you need to get over a gap. For example, if you're sprinting towards a trench you'd leap over it, but you'd be unable to fire your weapon until you recover from the landing.

Or if you're jogging you'd just jump into the trench.

Or if you're walking you'd put a hand on the edge of the gap then slide down, reducing the amount of time to recover but it'd take more time to get into the trench.

Win.

We don't need a jump key damnit, and more context sesnitive movement (which is what this is) is a good thing.

Now maybe it wouldn't suit RO - but if I had the chance to find out you can bet i'd try it.

Besides, it ties in with the general lack of mobility that we have. Mantling anyone?

Upvote 0
You could easily die in that time.

Which is correct, but it also isn't new either, tons of players allready get killed because they didn't have enough stamina to get across an open area or jump onto a box to get into a window.

Getting killed happens and it's part of the game, if you find that your getting killed in that situation to often for comfort, then trying to save your stamina more would be somthing to keep in mind when playing.

(I know I have to work on saving stamina too, I'm tired half the time I get shot. :p)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It relates to how movement is accomplished in game. Having a "smart" function where the computer decides how you move based on the obstacle in front of you could be problematic.

For example. I approach a trench. I might want to do any of several things such as:

- Dive into the trench at an angle.

- Dive into the trench head-on.

- Jump over the trench (if it was short enough distance).

- Hop into the trench and remain standing.

Problem here is that with a "smart" animation system where the computer does it for you, you lose your ability to control the situation. One of the nice things about RO is that the player retains control over most actions. With the exception of reloading and the sprint animation, most things can be controlled directly by the player.

Upvote 0
Of course not, but it wouldn't help him NOT to get killed either so where's the point?
We have a jump button and it works like a cahrm. If you jump or run down a ledge you are already slowed down. We don't need no Zelda jumping when we already have a jump button.

The only thing we need in this regard would be a climbing/mantling button ala Call of Duty 2 or Hidden and Dangerous 2.

Upvote 0
Of course not, but it wouldn't help him NOT to get killed either so where's the point?
We have a jump button and it works like a cahrm. If you jump or run down a ledge you are already slowed down. We don't need no Zelda jumping when we already have a jump button.

The only thing we need in this regard would be a climbing/mantling button ala Call of Duty 2 or Hidden and Dangerous 2.

But the thing is can the UE 2.5 actually implement some sort of climbing/mantling animation feature just like in the Vietcong games, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, Resistance and Liberation mod, H&D2, COD2 ?

Upvote 0
Of course... Download, install and play the "Damnation" mod for UT2004. They produced a steampunk platformer with lots of different animations and if you can slide down ropes, climb up poles etc. it should be possible to create a mantling feature.

Even if this wasn't possible we could still have a "slide-up-surfaces-you-want-to-climb" feature, like for example ladders in UT2004 (only in custommaps) or in Counterstrike (just to tell you how it would like it. I know its not on the unrealengine).

What we don't need is an automated jump function when we can jump on our own. It COULD work that the context sensitive jumping does exactly what we want it to, but it could also go wrong.
In Zelda it only works so well because whenever there is a gap you HAVE to jump over it anyway and if there is a ledge it doesn't matter whether you would walk or jump down. In RO it matters and if there is a gap (e.g. trenches) I want to chose on my own whether I want to leap over it, simply jump over it, run into it, leap into it, or simply jump into it.

Everything we might want to do with jumping is already possible in the game and it works like a charm as far as I can tell. The only thing that is lacking is the ability to mantle over small obstacles that are still too high to jump over. What we need to fix this is a mantling/climbing option. A zelda jumping feature won't help here.

For the next RO on the UE3 I definately want context sensitive movement but more like smaller things like your soldier steps over very small obstacles, or he slides down into a trench, or he runs up the first few steps of a staircase but then he slows down, or he staggers down a steep hill, etc.
Cosmetic stuff like that.
I think that was the intention of the topic poster too but I'm sure that this kind of cosmetic update would be way too troublesome for the devs at the moment. If at all we are going to see this in RO2 and RO1 fares well without it because from a gameplay standpoint it doesn't help.

Upvote 0