• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design I search a creater of east front maps

JOHN_MACCLANE

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2007
i search a creater of map with a good spirit, and patience , for talk about theses maps :

tractor factory
krasnyi oktyabr
lazur
barrikady factory

kourgane mamayev
red square
univermag
volga
south silo
pavlov house
stalingrad main railyard

a special stalingrad mappack ( even is these maps exist already and tehy are not play too much ) :

tractor factory + krasnyi oktyabr +lazur + barrikady

Well some of these maps exist - 2 in the official pack (Krasniy Oktyabr & Staligrad Kessel) and 3 custom maps (Tractor Works, Lazur & Elevator...which you call South Silo). I don't count Enemy at the Gates (alright map though it is) as that is based on another game's map which was based on a film.

With the exception of Tractor Works and (arguably) Elevator, these maps bear only very passing similarity to the areas they are supposed to depict. Certainly all maps based on Stalingrad have some fairly elementary errors (layout of apartments, style of workshop building, degree of destruction for given time-frame). Tractor Works is the best depiction so far (and even that gets the apartments horribly wrong - sry Mark, but it's true) and is Slyk's work so, if you have questions about that, best to ask him. All the maps are of variable quality in terms of look and gameplay - some pretty good, some not so good.

Designers of new maps based on Stalingrad would benefit greatly from a dialogue with Russ W Schulke, who has posted on these forums before and is working on a project to produce a 3-D map of Stalingrad (not RO map-scale unforunately :D ) this is at http://www.fireonthevolga.com

Mamayev Kurgan could be a pretty good map, if done right, and certain parts of the fights around Barrikady Gun Factory (e.g. Kommissarhaus and Workshop #4) are maps that are crying out to be made. Not sure whether the railway station has the potential to be a good map but I suppose Red Square and Univermag might. Pavlov's house is another that may well have been murdered by CoD.

All of these maps would require full-on commitment by a mapper/3-D modeller to make the building static meshes and also a fair bit of research into layout etc. if they are not to be RO-GenericCityFight5.

Understand this: This is a lot of work you are talking about here.

A good RO map (i.e. not just 'raid the SDK for a buncha cool-looking static meshes and plonk them in a generic bit of terrain') takes many months to complete. So if you just think you can tell a mapper what maps you want and ask him to make them for you, you had probably better reconsider - most of these guys don't even show that much commitment to their girlfriends or wives (in the rare cases where they actually have them :D) let alone a random punter. Basically you had better have something to bring to the party.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but there are millions of great game ideas out there and not so many mappers etc.

By the way - Orlovka and the Old Mill would also be great scenarios.

Last edited:
Upvote 0