• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Virginia Tech School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah yesterday at the library, I would occasionally have bad thoughts, I mean there are tons of people at our library all the time, there is NOTHING stopping some guy from jumping out of his vehicle and walking into the library armed.
An event like this is no reason to make you feel paranoid. Don't give in to the fear or pretty soon you won't even dare to leave your house.

Upvote 0
if this topic is turning into a pro/con gun legislation discussion it will be locked.

Mourn the dead but keep the politics out of it please
This whole thing is connected to politics/society, but I'll leave you allone in your hypocritical attitude.

Imo you should not bother too much about these things as Hassun said you'd feel paranoid, you should rather deal with the people around you. I think social contacts and social ties can help a lot of people. Such events allways remind me that we are all human and that each has its limits.

As someone posted in the Stiletto-thread: A kiss, a hug or just a it's fine you are here is very important.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
An event like this is no reason to make you feel paranoid. Don't give in to the fear or pretty soon you won't even dare to leave your house.

Do not live paranoid but also do not live blind. Most people walk about in condition white. They are oblivious to all that goes on around them and never consider the possiblity that violence could confront them at any time.

I live in yellow. I am aware that danger exists. I consider its possiblities in my daily life and I live accordingly.

Condition red is when stuff has hit the fan and typically those who go from white to red are completely unpreparred to deal with the consequences.

I have fire extinguishers in my house and an escape ladder for the second story but nobody considers me paranoid.

I wear my seat belt at all times, even in the back seat, but nobody calls me paranoid.

I legally carry a concealed handgun and a pocket canister of OC regularly(sometimes I travel to places where I cannot so therefore I may at times be unarmed). I bet many people will call me paranoid because they know that.

One does not need to carry a gun to be aware though. When I go places to eat I consider the entrances and exits. I watch my fellow patrons and stay aware of my surroundings. When travelling by air I observe all those around me, looking for those behaving out of sort or who fit the well know profile of those who tend to hijack airliners.

Do not become paranoid. No not refuse to go out your door. At the same time do not be stupid. Stay aware of your surroundings and think about "what would I do" if things went to hell in a hurry wherever you may be. Those who find the horrific unfathomable are unable to act if it should occur. Those who accept that evil deed can happen anywhere tend to get over the initial shock much quicker and act more appropriately.

One example of a person who kept his head and acted at VT is the gentleman in this story. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266506,00.html

Rather than freeze up and wait to die as many did (and I am not condeming those who panicked in this horrific experience) he saw an opportunity to save lives and willingly traded his own while telling the students to go out the window. This man was a surviovr of the Holocaust and well knew the evils that man could face. Having lived through horror once and accepting its existence he did not stand around waiting to be told what to do when horro visited him again. That man is a hero.

Upvote 0
This topic has nothing to do with society or politics.

This thread is about leaving a tought to the families of those lost and/or news coverage of the incident for those that want to know more.

Quoted for emphasis.

If you want to discuss the politics and rights or wrongs of guns, go to a gun forum and discuss it...if you want to leave a thought for those killed and their families left behind, then by all means do so.

And there is nothing hypocritical about that. Hypocritical would be only allowing one side of a political argument...the forum rules dont allow any political argument, and sadly for very good reason due to past experiences.

EDIT: I posted that just after Switch closed the thread, please take note of it for the future though...then we may not end up with threads like this needing to be shut in the first place.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.