• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What car do you drive?

Most American Car Motors are very detuned, that is one of the reasons they last so long. Like the Dodge Cummins Diesel 325hp 610lbs of torque, or the 350 Chevy V-8 for example. Either of these motors could out perform anything under the hood of a Skyline if tuned up, and you had a strong enough transmission behind them. And the Cummins is a Diesel. :p

I have also heard that the newer motors use hydraulic lifters that increase engine life, but are not as good for racing as a motor with push rods.

Upvote 0
well if by racing you mean revs limit then hydraulic lifters (or similar) are better. AFAIK F1 cars use a kind of double hydraulic lifter that pushes the valve open, and then pushes it closed under force. Valves in combination with a srping will have a maximum closing acceleration based on the weight of the valve, and the spring force. This maximum Acceleration wil determine how fast the valve can close, thereby limiting the maximum revs of the engine. I think F1 engines easily rev to 20K rpm. I was watching the Bahrain F1 GP last night and one of the team managers was saying to his driver "dont let the revs drop below 9000rpm". 9000!

I guess if you could transfer the technology (4 valve/cyl,turbo, variable cam timing, EFI, Elec ignition) from a small jap-type engine to a large US style one it would be insane. People who currently drive round in a 160kW 2litre 4cyl would be diving around in a 480kW (650hp) 6 litre V8. Death and carnage all round. Id like to dive one tho.:D

Upvote 0
f*ck technology. All that means is that A) its metric B) it has computers, so you can't work on it yourself, which makes it pointless. I'll take a 6 cylinder Cummins Diesel or a Ford Flathead-4 (Gasoline) or a Chrysler Flathead 6 230 (Cubic Inches, who cares about CCs? They just make you sound macho when its asian crap under the hood) any day with an honest-to-god mechanical fuel pump and an actual carburetor. I mean, who wants to buy all new sockets and wrenches, and get the mechanical engineering and sculpteral arts degree to actualy be able to work on your truck?

Upvote 0
well if by racing you mean revs limit then hydraulic lifters (or similar) are better. AFAIK F1 cars use a kind of double hydraulic lifter that pushes the valve open, and then pushes it closed under force. Valves in combination with a srping will have a maximum closing acceleration based on the weight of the valve, and the spring force. This maximum Acceleration wil determine how fast the valve can close, thereby limiting the maximum revs of the engine. I think F1 engines easily rev to 20K rpm. I was watching the Bahrain F1 GP last night and one of the team managers was saying to his driver "dont let the revs drop below 9000rpm". 9000!

I guess if you could transfer the technology (4 valve/cyl,turbo, variable cam timing, EFI, Elec ignition) from a small jap-type engine to a large US style one it would be insane. People who currently drive round in a 160kW 2litre 4cyl would be diving around in a 480kW (650hp) 6 litre V8. Death and carnage all round. Id like to dive one tho.:D
The engines used in Top Fuel Dragsters are basically 426 Hemi's, with 2-valves and push-rod driven. Although the ones used today are a solid block with no water cooling built-in and have a displacement of 500 cubic inches.

Wiki said:
Power output of these engines is most likely somewhere between 6000 and 8000 horsepower (approximately 4500-6000 kilowatts).

This is calculated from performance as a dynamometer capable of measuring power output of these magnitudes has yet to be built.

This would suggest a torque output of 5100-6750 Nm (3760-4980 lb-ft) and also a brake mean effective pressure of 80-100 bar.
:eek: "Dang!"

Keep in mind a lot of this tech was developed by Billy-Bob in his overhang/garage out-back. This is one of my favorite things about the USA, hillbillies with wrenches and what they do as Hobbies. :D

Capt.Marion said:
f*ck technology. All that means is that A) its metric B) it has computers, so you can't work on it yourself, which makes it pointless. I'll take a 6 cylinder Cummins Diesel or a Ford Flathead-4 (Gasoline) or a Chrysler Flathead 6 230 (Cubic Inches, who cares about CCs? They just make you sound macho when its asian crap under the hood) any day with an honest-to-god mechanical fuel pump and an actual carburetor. I mean, who wants to buy all new sockets and wrenches, and get the mechanical engineering and sculpteral arts degree to actualy be able to work on your truck?
One of the good things about the new computers is the vehicle will help you diagnose the problem with trouble-codes. But my hands are definitely too Big to work on import cars. DX

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yes, but the actual repair itself is hard, and pricey. For instance, my brother-in-law has to replace the engine in his '99 ford f-150 (everything, not shortblock) and got a quote of $6-7k. If I would need to replace the 45-year old engine (still running strong, needs routine maintence) in my truck, it would cost me $6-700. That's pretty sad. It would also take me ten years to get through all of the stuff to pull the engine in his truck and then reconnect everything and set up the computer.

The US Army TM (to pull the engine) has you disconnect a few vacuum lines, disconnect the electricity from the generator and startermotor, disconnect the fuel lines, drain the oil, unbolt the radiator, disconnect the driveshaft, and unbolt the front engine mount. Then you hook a chain to the two integral lifting hooks on the block and the side, and pull the ****er out. Pretty simple. Just as simple to put in. Just hook everything up, and Bingo!

Upvote 0
so will this

080220062057499304.jpg

they will last longer and have less problems than their european rivals as well.

Jeremy Clarkson bought one, but ended up selling it and getting a Gallardo Spyder because he never got from point A to point B with it - always broke down.

You should watch Clarkson's "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" :)

Some parts of the film:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=clarkson+the+good+the+bad+and+the+ugly

Upvote 0
Jeremy Clarkson bought one, but ended up selling it and getting a Gallardo Spyder because he never got from point A to point B with it - always broke down.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=clarkson+the+good+the+bad+and+the+ugly
There was so much power to the rear wheels that the control arms could crack, Ford retro-fitted the cars with machined steel parts while the made new titanium parts iirc.

Other than that I have not heard of mechanical problems with the GT.

Upvote 0