• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

pick up the primed nade and toss it back to the enemy

6y6JIuK_IZM

Apr 2, 2007
Russia
When an enemy nade lands near me, I'd like to have an opportunity to pick up the primed nade and toss it back to the enemy. I think it is not very difficult to do it with the game engine.
I read war books, soldiers did that sometimes. The 100% solution against the clever soldiers was to through 2 nades at the same time :) Then the clever one would be in trouble.

EDIT: Ups, sorry guys, this is not new. Did not know that!

Last edited:
In a real war you would have to decide whether to "cook" the 'nade and risc that it blows you to bits because it explodes too early for various reasons (randomness, malfunctioning, sabotage) or if you just throw it and hope that others are scared enough too so they don't touch it to throw it back.

In RO the grenades always explode at hte same exact time so you don't have to worry about anything and the cooking phenomenon wil get even worse because now you HAVE to cook or else it will be thrown back at you.

So I would vote for No unless we also get more realistic grenades which can actually be dangerous to the ones who cook them. If this was there, throwing them back should be there too.

It would be cool if the option was there to absorb the blast by throwing yourself onto it to save teammembers.

Upvote 0
In RO the grenades always explode at hte same exact time so you don't have to worry about anything and the cooking phenomenon wil get even worse because now you HAVE to cook or else it will be thrown back at you.

I would really like to see a bit of randomness in the time it takes for nades to explode. Doubt we'll see it in RO but in RO2 it would be a nice feature - I don't think your average guy in WW2 would cook his nades the way they do ingame atm. Would give people a bit more of a chance to get away from them because they wouldn't be cooked for as long as they are now.

Upvote 0
id love this feature. i already loved it in dod, but nobody would say that it was overused by the players there. most of the times throwing the nades back would get you killed in dod, but sometimes it worked although they had an exact 5 second timer, too.

(i really loved dods way of nade cooking btw. best thing ever was to meet up with a friend on TS, then join different teams on avalanche, go to the bell tower and exchange grenades to throw them at the enemy. good memories)

Upvote 0
I loved that feature in DoD, once I actually caught the nade in the air, that was awesome :p But I blew up myself anyway, because I threw it suprised at a wall next to me.
Although that feature would surely be nice, I doubt its worth the effort of implenting it compared to how often it will be actually used...

I want to see you
spotting it (No nade radar, or loud CLONK),
reaching it (say hello to the momentum and posture-changing),
picking it up (actually "hitting" the nade can be pretty hard if you are in a hurry)
and throwing the nade away (throw + taking cover or throwing it far away enough)
in less than 3-4 seconds!

Of course it will be absolutly satisfying when it works, but you also charge the enemy for a melee-pistol-whip - its probably more effective :p People need to remember the differences between DoD and RO: Its easier to return a nade to its owner when you are a armed squireel on speed - and not a soldier on the eastern front.

Upvote 0
No. I see potential probs with this, and always disliked it in the old DoD. Priming will be mastered further than it is now. Not to mention how ridiculous it will seem when Joe Clan player runs over to every nade to pick them up and throw them back (not something a real soldier would ever do)... I know I would try to master that move, and you'll get tired of seeing almost every one of your nades come flying back at you in a disproportionate way. It seems over the top to me.

I refer you to the tactics section where you can find a 'Problem with Grenades' thread.

Upvote 0
Realistic in what way?

In a real war you would have to decide whether to "cook" the 'nade and risc that it blows you to bits because it explodes too early for various reasons (randomness, malfunctioning, sabotage) or if you just throw it and hope that others are scared enough too so they don't touch it to throw it back.

It is not a bad idea, but as Muprhy said, we would need some alterations to the fuse system in order to have this in RO.

Well, it could work with the current system, but in most of the cases it would be rather useless since 3\4 of people prime their nades so by the time it reaches the target or is slightly airbourne while on it's way = BOOM.

Upvote 0
NO!

IRL people are afraid to die, in games it is a common occurrence. Thus, we are far more heroic than people IRL.

Granted, some of that heroism (charging and spraying, holding suicidal positions, etc., etc.) can never be rooted out but we can at least NOT implement those where our lack of fear would show in the worst possible way.

Diving on grenades to save your friends: Joe Clan (stolen from above - thanks - I will now proceed to overuse it in my post!) will make sure that none of your grenades ever catch another soldier again - apart from Public servers where you might find Joe Pubs who don't know how to dive and for whom Joe Clan does not care enough to dive for the nade.

Throwing nades back: Erm. I don't think anybody really practiced this, but I bet Joe Clan will if you give him the opportunity! Joe Pub will still not manage this, but I doubt he'll enjoy getting blown to bits by TKs from Joe Clan's mistakes (throwing one back with a millisecond left in the fuse - oops!).

So, soon our storm of grenades will be matched by an equal storm of grenades thrown back and people diving on the counter-grenades.

And then who will be happy? Joe Dod? Joe Doom? Joe Battlefield? Not Joe Roost or Old Timer Joe!

Upvote 0
If i am not mistaken, the dive thing may have merit already. I was in danzig last night and me and another russian dived between to small stair entrances on the streets after the west bridge across the street, and a nade fell on us. The only thing is, he died, and I did not. It was almost like his body was between me and the nade causing his body to take the brunt. I did not even get red anywhere.... maybe it was too far away for me, but further testing in game may prove that a body positioned just right may prevent another from getting hit.

Upvote 0