• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

CRT or LCD for RO?

Divinehammer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2006
Sunny, Obamalot
My monitor just crapped on me and so now I am in the market for a new one. I have never had an LCD. But I want to know other peoples opinion and maybe get some suggestions for Brands and Monitors in Specific. I would really like to hear from people that have played RO on both and see which they liked better. I am torn, do CRTs more accurately display color? Additionally the otheer question would be 4:3 or Widescreen on the LCD? Thanks for your Input. Post deals if you see them also, much appreciated.

Widescreens are awesome, but they don't increase your FOV....they just stretch your screen to appear wider. But definately go with the LCD, and I suggest the Dell widescreens, specifically the WFP2707, which is a top-notch LCD all-around, it has great color rendition, fast response time (meaning, no noticeable ghosting), and it's HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

Upvote 0
Widescreens are awesome, but they don't increase your FOV....they just stretch your screen to appear wider.
In RO, yes, unfortunately.
In other games with proper WS support it works as it should and is fantastic! :)

So, if you only play RO and don't even watch movies on it, you would not necessarily need a WS display.
However, if you do play other games, work on it and watch movies, WS is a real must!

Upvote 0
Widescreens are awesome, but they don't increase your FOV....they just stretch your screen to appear wider.

Well actually there is a work around for RO, I haven't had a chance to use it since I dont have my own wide screen, but you can manually edit the resolution and FOV in the RedOrchestra.ini file in the System folder.

You can check the 'Unreal Tournament 2004' tweak guide on www.tweakguides.com for a detailed lowdown on how to tweak these extra options in RO. :D

Upvote 0
If you're gonna get an LCD monitor with a high native res (anything above 1024x768) make sure that your Video Card can handle the game at higher resolutions.

Last thing you would want is getting a 1600x1200 LCD monitor only to find out that the game barely plays at that resolution becuase of the Video Card. Then you'd have to lower the res, but because it's an LCD it won't look good (at all)

Just a heads up...

Upvote 0
well so on a whim and a deal I went out and bought the Samsung 226BW 22" WS 2ms 1000:1 contrast. I am already having remorse for buying it We will see when i hook it up how it looks an if it will even fit in my desk. I will probably have to set the resolution as this monitor is a bit wacky for res size. I like this one but I also like the NEC 90GX2 and will probably get it. The glass covered LCDs just look so much brighter. All I do is game surf and program on this Comp so a Widescreen I dont think is necessary But they did look better side by side.

Upvote 0
Whatever you get make sure it has a high Hertz value, so when you spin your character around really fast you dont get any blur.
These two values are actually totally unrelated.

The refresh rate (since given in frames per second, the unit is Hertz, Hz) has nothing to do with the response time, usually given in milli seconds, ms.
In faqct, when using a DVI connection (definately recommended!), the RR will most likely be 60Hz.
As opposed to CRTs, which are only usable at values >=85Hz, there is no flickering involved, btw.

Upvote 0
I have a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 931b LCD and it looks great. I run everything at 1280x1024 (the max res), but a downside to that is that you'll need 4xAA to eliminate pixel distinction. It has excellent contrast, color, and response time. My old 20" Viewsonic CRT is basically nothing compared to this in visual quality. About a year ago this cost me $200, so I'd highly suggest it. Also, a good graphics card (I use a 7600 GT OC) with DVI output is crucial if you want to get the most out of the monitor.

Upvote 0
Widescreens are awesome, but they don't increase your FOV....they just stretch your screen to appear wider. But definately go with the LCD, and I suggest the Dell widescreens, specifically the WFP2707, which is a top-notch LCD all-around, it has great color rendition, fast response time (meaning, no noticeable ghosting), and it's HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.
It doesn't actually stretch, just put in a widescreen resolution in the ini file, and it cuts off the top and bottom, but the hud elements remain on screen. In many other games it will give you a wider viewing area.
Many games require tweaks to do it, and the best place to learn them is www.widescreengamingforum.com

I have a 19 inch widescreen LCD, and it is flawless. No noticable ghosting, clearer definition, brighter more vivid colours.

Upvote 0
Don't even think about CRT, just go WS.

I bought an 27" LCD TV, so I'm a little limited in resolution.

I play everything in 1360x780, 32 bit, which any decent graphics card can handle.

Sitting there just behind me is a very nice 19" crt, I must dust it down tomorrow !

There is no going back for me.

Its very p&p, adjusts its own resolution to fit and only has one dead pixel !

There is no stretching in RO, just set up your IN. file correctly.

ArmA.
CSS
DODS
STALKER
IL 2 1946 (set in config).
Q4
And last but not least RO, all work without the slightest hiccup on WScreen...

Thanks for the tanks.

Upvote 0