• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The oldest known predator on Earth still alive (crazy footage)

I thought this thread would be about the Coelacanth. I'm pretty sure that qualifies for the title of oldest predatory species still in existence. Awesome footage though.

Nope, that qualifies as the oldest lineage in jawed fish, and scientists are still debating even that. Different from the oldest but evolved predator. Read the "tiny print" in my previous reply. ;)

Anyway, don't get too hung up on it, the title is just an attention grabber, which obviously worked.

Thanks though! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was hoping It was some sort of Radical Battle Monkey. :(

Kewl video's though. :)
Your wish is granted...
av23738abi0.jpg

Upvote 0
Interesting thing I noticed about where our sympathies lie and our ability to identify with other species.

Watching those clips I was thinking "Poor bloody seals!" but if I saw a bear pulling salmon out of a stream I would be, like, "Go on, my son! tuck in!"

Funny but obvious how we would identify with mammals over fish - even as large a difference in DNA as there is between seals or bears and humans and we still root for them.

I now expect to see several posts from people who root for the piranhas when a cow crosses a river or are cheering on the bird-eating spider when it gets a hummingbird. Such is the nature of forums. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
It has to with their faces. Seal faces look more like human Baby faces if you just take the key features. Same with bears. That's why we have hairy teddy bears and no hairy teddy spiders.

I don't think it has much to do with the DNA.

You may be right, for example, when you see a video of a tarantula being attacked by those wasps that lay their eggs in them - which do you root for? Me, I feel bad for the spider - mebbe because it is hairy, so more like a mammal than a wasp... and I f***ing hate spiders.

Not trying to argue a point here - just curious.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid the shark is nowhere near the oldest predator, neither is the coelocanth or any other fish.
Consider the horseshoe crab, Limulus polyphemus. They evolved in the Paleozoic, up to 520 million years ago. The species found today have changed little in 350 to 400 million years. Now that's old.
With the sharks, you're talking abouit their evolutionary ancestors dating back up to 400 million years. I'm talking about a species that's older than that.
I knew that biology degree would one day prove useful for something.

Upvote 0
I remember seeing something that sharks use to be so big, that they could eat a blue whale with one bite.

Not true. The blue whale is the largest animal that has ever lived on Earth. There were once creatures that used to eat large sharks, though. Basilosaurus (an ancestor of modern whales) and the large Mosasaurs (very large marine reptiles related to snakes) ate sharks.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid the shark is nowhere near the oldest predator, neither is the coelocanth or any other fish.
Consider the horseshoe crab, Limulus polyphemus. They evolved in the Paleozoic, up to 520 million years ago. The species found today have changed little in 350 to 400 million years. Now that's old.
With the sharks, you're talking abouit their evolutionary ancestors dating back up to 400 million years. I'm talking about a species that's older than that.
I knew that biology degree would one day prove useful for something.

All right. First, the discussion was never about the oldest unchanged species but about the oldest predator still alive. And I stressed the evolution part in Shark's case several times during the discussion.

Second, I don't know where you got your biology degree but you're quite wrong. If we're going to take things litaraly and ignore the part where I said "...or at least one of the oldest" and that the title is for the most part an attention grabber, then horseshoe crab ("Limulus polyphemus") is not even close to the oldest predator.

Flatworms ("Platyhelminthes") were the early predators, and already predate the horseshoe crab. They lived 600 million years ago in Proterozioc eon and still exist today.

Cnidaria (jellyfish) were also predators who lived in Proterozoic eon, 600 million years ago. Jellyfish aren't actually a fish but they still predate the horseshoe crab. By the way, the first primitive/prehistoric fish also appeared in Paleozoic era, in Cambrian period, around 520 years ago.

However, the literaly oldest predators and predatory species that are virtually unchanged and still alive today are Myxobacteria. They are eons (billions of years) old. Now that's old! And yes, they are defined as predators and actually hunt in packs. They are found in virtualy any environment (soil or water).

Cyanobacteria are actually the oldest species on Earth, unchanged for about 4 billion years but they are not predators.

If you really studied biology, you should've known that predatory bacteria like Myxobacteria are litaraly the oldest predators and species that are virtually unchanged for eons and still alive on Earth today. Sure, there was other predatory bacteria, even older, now extinct or possibly evolved but their predator-prey relations were different.

Having said that, first sharks still appear in Paleozoic era, which you brought up for the horseshoe crab. The oldest fossils found so far are over 450 million years old. Sharks are fish. The earliest fish appear in Paleozoic era, which is up to 542 million years old. Sharks usually dwell in deep waters.

"Deep water fossils are only rarely lifted to levels where paleontologists can recover them, making most deep water taxa disappear from the fossil record."

That is why new evidence is always discovered, and why the extinction or age of certain species is debatable and often proven to be different. It is normal.

In fact, while Coelacanth is said to be the oldest lineage of jawed fish, Sharks are said to have the oldest evolutionary lineage. So, even though the oldest predator and species on Earth still alive are Myxobacteria, it is reasonable and correct to say that Sharks are the oldest evolutionary-lineage predators on Earth still alive.

Pretty clever, isn't it? Hence, the expression "God's oldest killing machine".

Like I said, don't get too hung up on the title, it's an expression, an attention grabber, and the body of the message always had "...or at least one of the oldest", which is true and allowed room for debate, taking into account other possibilities that are more literal in their meaning.

Cya! ;)

PS In response to other recent comments. I don't know about actually cheering for any predators. It depends. However, there is always some nut trying to prove that Sharks or Bears are misunderstood, for example, only to get mauled by one during some documentary. Google for "Grizzly Man" to see what I mean.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sharks are such awesome predators, they haven't evolved much over time. That's what I call badass. :D

@ Donut: What's wrong with humans being predators, as you imply in your first post in this thread? Predatory mammals are "game players." I've never seen an herbivore play the kinds of games that animals like dogs, cats, and people play. IMO, even modern sports (except golf, which is just lame) are all games that stem from our predator side needing an outlet.

Upvote 0