• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RELEASE: Armored Beasts Beta 2.0

The KV1 in game is the S version, you can tell that by is serve under amount of armour. The true KV-1 could only be knocked out by 88's during 41 or a PIV rear shot in the exhaust.

It was not until the PIVF2 that the germans had something to kill the KV-1

So in game if we had a true KV-1 for '41 battles you would have no german tank able to knock it out.

Upvote 0
I seen some of amizaur's research, I think he is surpasing many historians that write books <smile>

He is asking questions such as degrees of FOV and the difference between the different model numbers, with the application of magnifaction.

After helping with the research on the Tiger and RPM dependant turret turning, I reliase now how much historians do not know, about the techincal nature of ww2 equipment or has been lost in the echos of space and time.

And the degrees of misinformation or partial information.

Upvote 0
I'm not even reading the last posts today, maybe tomorrow, only jumped to say what is going on:

I was not very active in last days, the big task of making whole new penetration/damage system is still ahead of me. I have some health issues unfortunately and some time I have periods of computer inactivity, sorry. I made only pre-release version of 2.02 for ViVid to embedd in his new map (so he has what to work with, and the map would work with updated code from future mod releases too. Also some light work as research on tank sights and some other things, contaced few people, made some sight models and decided how they would work, also some research on military binoculars of WW2 period (magnification, FOV of models popular among infantry officers, tank commanders, artillery officers - Stug will have best binocs probably :).

Have some questions to you all, about how some mod features, will ask them soon. Also there are few things you can help me with, mainly finding pictures of German tank sights (external, with visible and readable markings) and still view of PzIV TZF5 reticle and IS-2 TSh-16 reticle.

As for 2.01 - I have still NO IDEA why it won't work for some people. Checked everything and it works for me, and I assume than it works for most other people, right ? 2.01 is set on few servers, so it definitely works and doesen't need any other files/textures/sounds/whatever missing from package. You either have incorect install (no soundpack in sounds directory, but then 2.0 would not work too :/) or I don't know what causes that, but as it works for other people, them the cause of not working is on yours computers/game/mod installs probably, not in the mod. We'll see if 2.02 works for you. I decided to finish and release my work version with new sights and binocs, and not the "refreshed" 2.01, but this would take at least 1-2 days to clean up my version from experimental things. Then I would work on the main armor/penetration/damage code, and that would be at least 2.1 or better :)

I'm pasting a text I wrote to Mare Nostrum forums, and some other people, so you can help me too if you know the answers or have the pictures I look for:

"Separate gunner and commander's stations are crucial for tank combat modeling. I'm planning to do them in my mod, but not yet sure hot exactly, because I'm little experienced in Unreal Script, I understand basic programming and can make armor / penetration modeling, but not managed to fully understand how are player stations added/handled to vehicles by the game. All I got so far is a simple passenger attachement with a naked eye view (well I know how to program the other views already - I have to program a separate pawn class with code handling views/optics, I worked on them while redoing tank sights).

What I don't know is how to make this passenger's to rotate with the turret, like commander does. I would probably find how to do this, after 5 hours of experimenting and reading, but I have better things to do (program) than re-discovering a wheel, as any Unreal programmer can probably tell me how to do this in 5 minutes.

Well commander's pawn is currently modelled just as the whole turret and is attached to the hull, I can attach new passengers to hull at will but don't know how to attach something to the turret... I would prefer to leave current CannonPawn class as a gunner, and make separate commander, as it has all the gun aiming/rotating/shooting code in it and relationships to it all over the code. So I need to use commander's external view and anims of the unbuttoned comm in separate commander's pawn but it has to be attached to the turret (at least rotate with it).
If you have a coder knowing Unreal script a bit (as I don't know it at all) he could help me very much.

(...)

Also the reticle / aiming triangles would be resized to correct 4 mils size (but they would be VERY small then, about two times smaller than for Panther now) or be double-sized but still calibrated (so 8mils instead of 4 but could be still used for ranging).
There is new Stug sight, based on real SflZF1a...

I don't have PzIVs TZF 5 and IS-2 TSh-16/17 sight views yet, anyone have a picture ot those ??? Also EXTERNAL pictures of PZ 3&4 /Tiger/Panther sights with readable markings on them (for example "5x28deg" or "1.5xsomething" would be welcomed, as I can't find really DEFINITE data on Panther's and Tiger's sights field of view. Markings on a real TZF12 or TZF9 should clear this definitely, each (or most) of German optical equipment had markings of optical parameters on it, so it should be possible to find a picture of actual TZF9/12 from museum or eBay item and just read what is written on them. This should be more correct than different book data (different in every book) or Allied inteligence data... Anyone seen such picture ? I want the sights to reflect the real parameters.

"First, do you have those pictures still, I'm interested in pictures of reticles (especially of TZF5 variants), and external pictures of gunsights with visible markings on them (saying something like 5x28deg or 1.75x40deg). Also a photo ove real view trough TZF9/12 would be great, as widely published paper printed pictures seem to have the center markings/triangles severly off scale, 2-4 times too large (if they really were 4 mils).

I can't find really DEFINITE info about FOV of TZF9 and 12 variants. Data about TZF 9 varies from 23 to 26deg (and even 28deg for 9c) and 14deg for 9c 5x (which would make sense if 2.5x FOV was 28deg...).
For Panther, data agree for 28deg for 12, and usually cited is 28deg at 2.5x and 14deg at 5x for 12a sight. But on fery few instances (incuding this table, and also allied inteligence data) I saw 19deg for TFF12a in 2.5x and ... it seems really strange for me, as first you need best possible FOV in low magnification mode (could trade off FOV in high-mag mode if there were optical/mechanical limitations, but 19deg in 2.5x would be worse than in PzIV TZF5s...). And then apparent FOV would be lower in 2,5x mode than in 5x mode (2.5x19 gives 47.5deg - strange result, 2.5x28 is same as 5x14 and = 70deg apparent FOV, common in other German optics). Where this info comes from (about 19deg fov), is it sure ? And if yes, I would like to know WHY it was so, even if there was some optical/mechanical reason, then why there was low mag FOV limited (made worse than for older tanks) and not high mag that would make more sense for me... If the optics could not keep apparent FOV the same in both mags (which was common I believe?).

I guess, that to know the true FOV of TZF9b and TZF9c variants (which is stated different in varius books so I don't believe any of them) one would have to look at very solid German source (like in Spielberger's books, but he usually has early production or even prototype specs/drawings) or better yet - to read them directly on a piece of TZF gunsight. I guess the optical parameters should be marked on them, and they would be exact (can't imagine different). There are pieces of TZF9/12 in various museums and even sold on eBay, I found some pictures but none that shows the markings about zoom/FOV. Do you have such photo maybe, or do you know where to search ?

If you could help me, then BIG thanks in advance,

Amizaur"

P.S. As for Tiger turret traverse speed, I still don't have definite info, but so far it seems that:

1. the turret rotation mechanism was never changed, and was the same from the beginning to the end of Tiger production

2. traverse speed was dependant on engine rpm

3. traverse speed was almost surely 360 in 60s at 1500rpm, so probably faster at higher rpm (45-36s at 2400-2500rpm). The 60s would be in fact MAXIMUM possible speed, as it's stated frequently, but WITH THE ENGINE ON IDLE 1500rpm. (right, and what was in fact real Tiger idle rpm ? 1500, 1000 ?).

4. possible variations on the above are that a) the maximum possible speed was 360/60 s at max rpm, and then would be much slower at idle. But this is contrary to the info that this speed was achieved at 1500rpm. and b) the speed was rpm dependant up to 1500rpm, when it reached max of 360/60s and didn't increase further even at 2500rpm. So it would be slower, 90-100s at 800-1000rpm, but from 1500rpm up would be 60s. But this would be contrary with existing films showing apparently faster turret rotation speed, and there would be no reason for drivers to crank rpm on commander's request unless the Tiger idle was lower than 1500rpm. If the idle was 1500, then cranking up would not make turret any faster and the whole point is invalid.

So the most probably answer is number 3.

Sorry for delays and slow work, but I'm alone and not doing very well lately. I'm working on it, but can't guarantee any completion dates. I hope 2.0/2.01 demo is still somewhat playable :). 2.02 should be a bit better in few days, especially in optics and remodelled Panzerfaust.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Scattering of trajectory ? You mean some spread for shells, just like MGs projectiles have ? Sure, it's planned (it's a matter of setting single variable) but only after I calibrate the sights - for obvious reasons ;)

It won't affect Tiger and Panther very much, as they had VERY accurate guns, but will affect PzIV long (which was about 3 times less accurate than a Tiger) and all Russian tanks, the IS-2 would be probably most accurate Russian tank, up to about 1500m.

As for T-34s dying after one shot in the hull - you just hit the ammo, that's why it blows up. PzIV have smaller ammo hixboxes. When you want to compare the "strength" or "healt" of tanks, shoot them in the turret - there are no ammo hitboxes in turret. Now, is it always dying after first shot ?
The PzIV should die from T-34 about as good as the other way - if only normal damage is done.

PzIV has a health of 600, T-34 has a health of 600 (650 for 85 version). Shell damage of PzIV long is 500, shell damage of T-34/85 shell is 600. So the PzIV should blow up more easy than T-34 in mod. The only reason that T-34 blows more frequently, can be larger ammo hitboxes in T-34. Observe what happens if you hit it in the turret only, and compare with PzIV then.
Ammo hitboxes will be reworked, but I would prefer to convert them to true boxes first (in fact ammo and engine hitboxes are currently spheres) as adding many small spheres is time-consuming task... If there is an volunteer that has SDK installed and want to work on ammo hitboxes, I can send him pictures and data about where they could be in various tanks. He will send me new hitboxes in txt format, I will review them and include in mod.

But making ammo on the floor can be tricky only with spheres, and require lot of them, so I would prefer to make true box hitboxes...
Only I need a good algorithm for checking if a line crosses a box - and not more costly for CPU, than checking 10 small spheres...

HEAT projectiles - temporaty for 2.02 I just changed PzIVF1 HE shells to have HEAT (armor penetrating) effect too. You may assume that it has only HEAT instead of HE, they work on infantry too, only make much less shrapnel... No Russian tank in game used HEAT rounds (maybe IS-2, but probably not), and no other German tank beside PzIVF1 has a reason to use HEAT rounds, even when they can (like Tiger and PZIV) - just AP are far more effective, and HEAT quite inaccurate on longer ranges.

Later more ammo types are planned - AP, APCR, HE, HEAT, Smoke... And I want to make different spreading for various ammo types, not fixed for gun type. Russian and Allied APCR were less accurate than AP, German APCR were more accurate than AP. HEAT was always less or much less accurate than AP and HE. There was really no chance to hit something from 75mm L24 with HEAT at 2000m, and almost no chance to hit at 1000m. Useabe to about 500m, accurate to maybe 300m. Penetration of 70-75mm at 30deg, 80-87mm at 90deg. So don't expect from HEAT to be wonder weapon with great effects on any range.

P.S. Hmm should we disable vehicle disappearing after it doesn't "see" it's owner for 10 seconds ? Or maybe set longer time, like 5 minutes ? It always pissed me off, especially at Orel, when i went to look what is after that ridge, tank teleported away and I had to return on foot...
I'm also considring removing double magnification binocs ( it's the low, default zoom that is unrealistic, it gives much too wide FOV), leaving a choice of single magnification strong 7x50 or 10x50 binocs and a naked eye...? The 20deg FOV panoramic view of normal binocs is unrealistic, something like 3.5x binocs, FOV MUCH larger than any real binocs, there were no such observation device on German or later Russian tanks. Maybe it makes spotting ambushing targets at medium range too easy. I could also leave default 85deg wide view for situational awarness (to look around), give second 70 deg FOV view modeling natural 1x eyesight (when you look at something), and then the binocs ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please see my email on tank disappearing, if you make it a mappers options, then they can way up how many tanks in their map will be destroyed compared to the overheads of the emiiters and tanks being used.

I send you a bit of code how to allow the mappers to decide the length of time for their map, but I guess you still need a default for your mutator, which probably be the default especillay since maps like muddy tigers or arad can go through a hell of a lot of tanks quickly.

***I like the double bino view as I am able to press the button while it fires and watch where the round penetrate at distance killing, currently you can't do that as the first bino view is used for artillery strikes.

Upvote 0
You know what really bugs me when someone blows your tracks and you get out of the tank and it blows up for no reason is there a way to get rid of that?

Yeah, I seen that in the code, a feature that destroys damaged vehicle when crew leave it (assumed it's abandoned). Is it so wrong (were you planning return to that tank later?) or just bothers you visually (blowing up for no reason) ? What bothers me, is disappearing of PERFECTLY GOOD tank after I leave it and go out of LOS :-/.

Amizaur -> Some servers are on linux and this mod can't working on linux. Can you do something with that?

I have absolutely no idea what could be the cause of that. Maybe (just maybe) the mod should be compiled on Linux too ? Have no idea really... You have to look for general Win/Linux incompatibility in Unreal... Ask other modders maybe, if thye did something specific to ensure their mods work on Linux or not ?

P.S. As for the dual-mag binocs and being able to shoot a gun looking trough them - I want to keep that feature and would just make two binocs with THE SAME zoom, only you would probably not know which one you use untill you try to fire. But the "first" one would be for designating arty, "second" (and last) one would be for shooting the gun. Maybe I could add a text message at the bottom what "mode" binocs are in currently, arty or main gun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
P.S. As for the dual-mag binocs and being able to shoot a gun looking trough them - I want to keep that feature and would just make two binocs with THE SAME zoom, only you would probably not know which one you use untill you try to fire. But the "first" one would be for designating arty, "second" (and last) one would be for shooting the gun. Maybe I could add a text message at the bottom what "mode" binocs are in currently, arty or main gun.

The way they are at this time is fine. Once one becomes accustomed their operation, there is no difficulty at all in using the Zoom Binoculars. Excellent addition, I might add. :)

Upvote 0
I added dual mag binocs, because the default binocular zoom was too low to comfortably see targets at 1000+ meters range. I could just increase the zoom, but as increased zomm would have much smaller FOV (smaller than real binocs, I thought) then I retained the original zoom and added second, 2 times stronger zoom level.

But now I see that the original binocs had JUST too small magnification, around x4 (the weakest military binocs are x6, tank commanders used usually x7 or x10 binocs) and too wide FOV. So there is no point in retaining this zoom level. I can just make one, realistic (like 7x50 or 10x50 binoculars) zoom level, for 7x50 binocs it would be same as now, for 10x50 binocs even little stronger.
FOV would be little better than now, as I'm using new binocs overlay (only have to find specs of some Russian WW2 binocs, German ones were excellent with apparent FOV of up to 70deg, not sure if Russian should have same).
The ability of fire gun with binoc view would be retained, as there would be still two levels of binocular view, only the same zoom :) but still one would designate arty, second would fire the gun. Only knowing which one you are currently, would need a little practice.

The neareast release, name it 2.03 :), would have probably 8.75x zoom, because I don't have ready binoc scale calibrated for 7x or 10x zoom.

A propos to what I wrote on beginning of this post. Has anyone noticed, that tank commanders in RO got binocs TWO TIMES WORSE than infantry commanders/AT soldiers binoculars ?? The zoom of tank binoculars is two times smaller than normal binoculars.
I noticed this only now.

Compare it, by looking at something with tank binoculars in stock game, and then exit the tank and (if you has binocs) look with binocular item again. The zoom is twice stronger in "independant" binocs, than with tank binocs.

:-/

Also - are T-60 shells totally invisible only for me, or is it common feeling ? I looked in slow-motion, not only there is no tracer but also no shell visible on my computer...

P.S. They are not visible, because they have not 3D model, same like PTRD bullets. And all tank shells in game seem to have assigned shell model 132mm in diameter, only 88mm and 122mm shells have model 200mm in diameter... :-/ Just "76mm_shell" model is really 66mm in diameter, "85mm_shell" is 132mm in diameter, and "122mm_shell" is really 199mm in diameter...

On the other hand, all HE shells seem to have... Panzerfaust warhead model assigned... :-\ Yes, just checked this... that's why they looked so "bright" for me, after I disabled tracers (HE shells didn't have tracers usually). They were just bright brown, as normal Panzerfaust warhead... :-/

I started to afraid exploring this further... who knows what evil thingas can be found...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I seen that in the code, a feature that destroys damaged vehicle when crew leave it (assumed it's abandoned). Is it so wrong (were you planning return to that tank later?) or just bothers you visually (blowing up for no reason) ? What bothers me, is disappearing of PERFECTLY GOOD tank after I leave it and go out of LOS :-/.

Remember how it used to be a damaged tank was treated as a regular vehicle and it took a long time for it to disappear that how it should be I complain about this because

1.a Tank should never blow up if the tracks are blown It should disappear after a while(not a couple of seconds later) when you abandon it.

2. If your disabled you can not quickly leave the tank to call artillery, kill infantry, or fool the enemy because it just blows up after 5 secs.

Also - are T-60 shells totally invisible only for me, or is it common feeling ? I looked in slow-motion, not only there is no tracer but also no shell visible on my computer...

I do not think there is an actual projectile at least I can never spot one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some good news, I will release 2.03 probably tomorrow, it's 99% percent ready, only I have to fix small problem with shell dispersion I enabled and works little strange, either will fix it untill tomorrow or cancel and release without dispersion, it will go into next update then. Dispersion for MGs works very nicely, spreading bullets in almost correct way, but for tank shells it spreads only to the left and down, never up or right, not yet sure why.

The mod will be little bigger, as few new sounds and textures went into it. It will completly replace all mod files, the mod and all files in it have new names, it don't use any of old AB files, all this to avoid any possibility of problems with interference between versions. So it should work for everyone now, doesn't matter if and which version of AB was installed before.

Here's a change log (not complete for sure) between 2.01 and 2.03. Some visual work, some cosmetic, making order in files, fixing few issues, remodeling tank sights... and few surprises ;-). Did also quite extensive research for this and future work and learned few things.

And a picture from tank range, testing & calibrating tank sights and shell dispersion:

the shell "hole" marks on targets are new too, I was bored with default HE "splashes" from AP shells ;-)

And above a new, scaled binoc reticle, the pattern of reticle is from real German binocs, the scale is in mils and can be used for ranging now. The red vertical things are 10m apart at 1000m (so 10 mils). Almost good, can't be better because of screen resolution... The center horizontal mark is 2mils wide (one mil each side), so space between it and first 5mils mark is 4 mils - and it matches with 4m target too, as good as screen resolution allows.

For comparison, you have picture of old RO binoc reticle, how good scaled it is...

Matches with red 10m columns ideally, isn't it ? :-/ I wonder how long the GFX worked on it...

You can test it all tomorrow probably, no I'm going to sleep, goodnight :)

Changelog:

name of the mod changed to ArmoredBeasts2 (and that should be final)

- All filenames in mod changed, to avoid any interference with previous versions of mod.
From now on, any new mod version will be overwritting old one.

- ******** Remodelled tank optics and tank binoculars **********
(new Stug sight and binoc scale based on real photos of sight/binocs, more on this later)

- speed of tank shells reduced back to 0.5 of real speed, to see if full speed caused problems or not
(my personal bet would be that problems my reduce by 10-20% but still exist, and this was not the cause).

- Tracer of German tank shells changed to orange, Russian to yellow-green (as in 2.01) and some shells have red tracers, tracer size and visibility tuned a bit

- Panzerfaust remodelled, having now realistic ballistics, no smoke trail, and actually detonating on tanks

- Reduced size of tank AP shell 3D models, they were up to 200mm in diameter (for Tiger and IS-2 shell).

- Tank HE shells 3D models set to be same as AP shells - in stock RO HE shells of all tanks had 3D
model of Panzerfaust warhead... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!???!!!! :-O

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/2159/76mmhesj0.jpg

- Tank HE shells don't have tracers anymore (as they usually didn't in real life)

- Fixed a bit T-60 gunsight, that was working backwards... But still not completly, it requires new reticle texture

- reduced AP shells explosion damage against tanks (no longer close misses should damage tanks)

- reduced HE effect on tanks (to increase number of hits needed to destroy tank by HE).

- Tracers of tank MGs had speed 2 times slower than normal MG rounds, now set to almost the same speed
(normal bullets little faster than tracers, but not 2 times faster)

- Reduced penetration of ricocheting tank rounds against other targets

- PzIVF1 got HEAT shells (it now uses AP and HEAT instead of AP and HE, HEAT works against infantry
almost just as good as HE and has 75-85mm of penetration against tanks)

- Fixed "invunerable" Su-76 upper hull issue from 2.0/2.01 mod v.

- Tiger tank split into several versions:

Tiger E early
Tiger E middle-early (the one used in game by default)
Tiger E middle-late
Tiger E late (having TZF9c double-magnification optics)

Currently only Tiger late differs from others (having better optics) but in the future there will be more differences, externally and in parameters

- Tank gunsights of most tanks (all in next update) scaled every 100m up to 2000m (not to 1000m as in stock RO). So now you can set 1100 or 1300m if needed (on Orel for example)

- Don't stay in burning tanks, it's unhealthy ;-), from now on the ammo and will blow up after some time and you will die if you stay so long

- basic shell dispersion added to tank cannons, dispersion based on available ballistic data of German
and Russian shells (like 50% dispersion zones/errors, hit probability ect) (still at work).

Last edited:
Upvote 0