• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wimmin Snipers

I really did not think this thread was troll-bait but apparently I was mistaken.

I saw no smilies, so it could go either way - possibly another post saying it was all an elaborate wind-up and he forgot to put in the ;) or, more depressingly, a brief riff on the supposed racial inferiority of the Soviets.

Back on topic, I noticed that out of the 924 "Hero of the Soviet Union" medals awarded for actions in Operation Bagration, quite a few were to women - I have their names and ranks and so on - I will post them soon to see if anyone has any more info about them.

In a similar vein, I think Operation Bagration itself is probably worthy of a new thread. Given that it was the single biggest defeat of the Wehrmacht during the entire war, with the total destruction of Army Group Centre and involved more manpower than Operation Overlord it is a curiously overlooked offensive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I saw no smilies, so it could go either way - possibly another post saying it was all an elaborate wind-up and he forgot to put in the ;) or, more depressingly, a brief riff on the supposed racial inferiority of the Soviets.

Like I said, either way it's laughter material... either at the prod at nations that would engage in genocide and still consider themselves "civilized" or at his double-digit IQ. Funny stuff, whichever way you slice it. :p

I've got tons of respect for the IDF, and they put women into the field (tough not to, considering the whole country is front-line basically....) It just adds to my respect of them.

Upvote 0
One thing I have noticed about nations that have, throughout history, put women in the battlefield is that they generally win. ;) I may be wrong here and would be interested to hear of counter-examples.

The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is 'Women's Battalion of Death' defending the palace in Petrograd in 1917. They surrendered or ran away without a fight, although that was in a civil war/revolution so that is not really evidence one way or the other.

OK - women awarded the "Hero of the Soviet Union" in Bagration:

Efreytor BARAMZINA, Tat'yana Nikolaevna
Guards Lieutenant MAKAROVA, Tat'yana Petrovna
Partizan MASLOVSKAYA, Anna Ivanovna
Senior Lieutenant NIKANDROVA, Anna Alekseevna
Guards Major NIKULINA, Evdokia Andreevna
Guards Captain SMIRNOVA, Maria Vasil'evna
Senior Lieutenant TIMOFEEVA (EGOROVA) Anna Aleksandrovna
Guards Senior Sergeant SHKARLETOVA, Maria Savel'evna (not a captain, I'm afraid :D)

(All names from Arkhiv - Operatsiya 'Bagration' - Osvobozhdenie Belorussii, 2004, Ed. Ukhlina, E. Olma-Press, Moscow pp. 31-50)

One thing I noted is the preponderance of relatively senior ranks - I thought this may be because of the habit (also remarked upon in the German or, for that matter, just about any other, army) of officers taking the credit when their men or, in this case, women do most of the heroics and dying.

In order to get this award the above-named women should have performed some remarkable deed(s) but not necessarily have fought; for example the cosmonaut Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova got one for being the first woman in space. Many of the women who did get the award were actually involved in combat, though... for example Lydia Litvak, the fighter pilot creditted with 11 kills and 3 joint kills (most usually) was awarded one, but only after it was decided that she died upon being shot down rather than captured. Stalin's views on anyone taken alive in the war are pretty well-known.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a little off-topic. :)
Looks like that using sniper rifles in just in blood of Russian women. How much females who play RO can you name? Russian community has minimum 4 of them, and they are quite goodshots.

For example, take [CM]**Marinka (you can find her at Corbina 44 slot server) is at 66th place in roscores.com.

i-2.jpg

Upvote 0
I know Heinz is banned/doesn't visit this forum anymore, but still - a little reply to this phrase:
yes, civilized countries did not employ women in combat in WWII.
Fedor Zinchenko, Hero of Soviet Union, colonel of 756 rifle regiment, the one which assaulted and cleared Reichstag from the last defenders, in his book "Heroes of Reichstag's assault" is telling how they managed to capture 200 prisoners. It was the time when they were fighting for Moltke bridge - some Germans managed to flank them and get to their rears (somewhere near Klein-Teirgarten) - those Germans started to shoot at columns of injured.
A platoon of soviet scouts and pioneers was sent to get rid of them. And so they did: they captured ~200 SS soldiers, all of them were women, there were even few officers. Those were widows of German officers, killed in Stalingrad - Hitler mobilized them so that they could avenge their husbands or go to them.
They weren't capable to do the first, and weren't willing to do the later.

Upvote 0
I lack in English to describe what happened there. They weren't sent there specially to shoot the injured, no. They tried to encircle the attackers - and that's what they did, soviet troops near Moltke bridge were surrounded for some time. And what one can expect to find in the army's rears? Kitchens, injured etc.
He didn't try to paint them as evil nazis or something.

Upvote 0
Don't mind if I do, mate. ;)

Not sure how many women there are in the RO community - prolly even less than there are in other communities such as the old DoD comunity etc.

New photo:

wimmin%20snipers.jpg

We have one and she is example to us all whit her G41 and G43.She is our little english soldier and is one of the best in our clan whit her weapons.It is my opinion that every clan should have one female soldier to boost the morale and the spirit of the clan.

Anyway come and check her and us out at 217.163.29.169:7757

Upvote 0