• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cross of Iron - Battle Scene WW II - Eastern Front

I thought it was boring. I could never get through the whole damn thing in one sitting.

If I watched it again, I could probably give you more precise reasons why I didn't like it. It is kinda weird, because I like 'Das Boot', and that one is kinda long and slow paced.

After watching the clip I remember that I thought the 70's cheese ball camera angles were lame. And when the tank busts through the wall muzzle first, that was lamerz too.

Upvote 0
After watching the clip I remember that I thought the 70's cheese ball camera angles were lame. And when the tank busts through the wall muzzle first, that was lamerz too.
How's it lame for the tank to bust through the wall? The tank was a real T-34/85 crewed by Ukrain solders and the tank was obviously trying to ingage those inside.

Upvote 0
This is the German version as it has scenes not seen in the English version, like the inside of the turret and the guy looking around with his scope.

Not true, those scenes were also in the original US release, saw it in a Drive-In back in the late 70's (dating myself for sure now). It was recently running on Showtime, inside turret scenes as well!

Upvote 0
Not true, those scenes were also in the original US release, saw it in a Drive-In back in the late 70's (dating myself for sure now). It was recently running on Showtime, inside turret scenes as well!
Nope, here in NZ when I watched the dvd, I saw none of those scenes. That scene was replaced by the driver trying to restart the tank after stalling it.

Upvote 0
Technically it is dumb to bash through a wall barrel first. In a modern tank the least you'd do is bugger up the MRS (muzzle reference system) though you could also damage the traverse and elevation monsters. On a tank of that vintage though with the range they engage target at and the direct linkages used it would be less of a problem but their squadron gunfitter would still have the arse with them!! :)

Upvote 0
How's it lame for the tank to bust through the wall? The tank was a real T-34/85 crewed by Ukrain solders and the tank was obviously trying to ingage those inside.
Well firstly, I thinks most tankers rotate the turret to 180* to crash through structures. There was a conveniently placed hole in the wall that the barrel went through first. I imagine a tanks gun could sustain serious damage if it is facing forward, especially with longer barrels like the T34/85. Not to mention the amount of leverage transferred to the turret ring.

To be honest, as far as tank movies go, I liked 'Tank' with James Garner and C.Thomas Howell a lot more. Even though it was kinda corny, it had Gomer Pyle... and that was WIN. :cool::D

Upvote 0