• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A few minor things...

Lt.Fenix

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2007
Hi everyone.
I've been playing this game since the old ut mod days, and it's still about the only other game I play besides CoH, because it's kicks that much ass.

However, I did notice a few tiny little things that I think would be nice if they were fixed.

I glanced through the idea compilation thread that's been stickied, and haven't seen any of these I don't think, so here they are.

1. Grenades: As of now, grenades make no sounds when they impact the ground to alert people of their presence. They should definitely make a metalic thud or something when they hit the ground or other objects. Also I think they should bounce at least a little bit... right now it seems as if they kind of stick to the ground instantly. And one more thing about grenades, your accuracy should defintely suffer if you throw one while running. They seem too accurate.

2. MG tracer rounds: They ricochet off of everything at pretty much every angle...including the ground, which is not very realistic. If possible they should only ricochet off of hard things like metal, wood, or concrete, and only at small angles.

3. Fists: If your only weapon is a rifle, and your hand is shot causing you to lose your weapon, you should be able to use your fists to engage an enemy at close range.

4. Weapon pickups: One thing I noticed, is that grenades always fall on top of pistols when people die. Which means if I want to pick it up, then I have to first drop my own grenades just to get to the pistol. It would be nice if this was fixed somehow.

5. Footsteps: Soldiers carry around a lot of stuff (I'm sure WWII was no different), so I think we should hear more than just the the soldier's feet hitting ground when walking/running. The footstep sounds should have more in it... to account for all the things that shake/bounce around when a soldier runs.

I think that's about it... for now.

[EDIT]
Thought of another thing, so instead of creating a new thread just for it, I'm posting it here.

It seems that rifle rounds knock people over looking at how ragdolls fall in this game, and that doesn't really seem too realistic to me.

In this game, you could be sprinting forward, and then get shot by a rifle from the front and you'll fall backwards... similar thing when you get shot from the side, the ragdolls just kind of lose their forward speed and then plop downward.

Since rifle rounds that penetrade don't transfer much momentum at all, I think when people get killed by them, their ragdolls should continue their motion as they fall.

I realize DOD:S isn't the most realistic game, but they do model this well.

A couple more things I thought of:

Gun sounds should be way more audible at distances. Too many times I will get shot by a sniper, but will never even hear the shot.
In fact, at the size of most infantry/combined arms maps, pretty much all gun sounds should be audible anywhere on the map, given it's outdoors.

I just noticed this, but there are no bullet impact sounds when people get shot. Sure there are impact sounds when bullets hit the map or the objects in it. But there should definitely be some sort of crack/thud when bullets hit people. As the game is right now, there are none.
progress.gif

Last edited:
2. MG tracer rounds: They ricochet off of everything at pretty much every angle...including the ground, which is not very realistic. If possible they should only ricochet off of hard things like metal, wood, or concrete, and only at small angles.
I don't know very much about weapons but the the ricochet of the MG tracers off the ground is realistic.

Your ideas about fists have been mentioned before, as well as the pick ups and grenade sounds. The only idea that I myself haven't seen is the footsteps/walking sounds idea, which if you'll notice in game, the soldiers aren't wearing every bit of kit they would've have carried.

Upvote 0
I don't know very much about weapons but the the ricochet of the MG tracers off the ground is realistic.

Not really. The ground is usually soft enough that a rifle bullet flying at around 3000fps will usually drill into it even at pretty shallow angles.
What's really ridiculous is when you're behind a mound of dirt, and an enemy MG fires at you, and you see tracer rounds bouncing around everywhere.

It's good that most of my suggestions have been posted before.
Hopefully that means they will be implemented soon.

Also about the footstep issue, even if they aren't carrying a lot of stuff, you should at least hear your magazines and grenades making noises as they rattle around as you run.
Even without those the footstep sounds themselves are too quiet. Often times someone can be running or sprinting right behind you and you won't even notice.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone.
I've been playing this game since the old ut mod days, and it's still about the only other game I play besides CoH, because it's kicks that much ass.

However, I did notice a few tiny little things that I think would be nice if they were fixed.

I glanced through the idea compilation thread that's been stickied, and haven't seen any of these I don't think, so here they are.

1. Grenades: As of now, grenades make no sounds when they impact the ground to alert people of their presence. They should definitely make a metalic thud or something when they hit the ground or other objects. Also I think they should bounce at least a little bit... right now it seems as if they kind of stick to the ground instantly. And one more thing about grenades, your accuracy should defintely suffer if you throw one while running. They seem too accurate.

3. Fists: If your only weapon is a rifle, and your hand is shot causing you to lose your weapon, you should be able to use your fists to engage an enemy at close range.

4. Weapon pickups: One thing I noticed, is that grenades always fall on top of pistols when people die. Which means if I want to pick it up, then I have to first drop my own grenades just to get to the pistol. It would be nice if this was fixed somehow.

5. Footsteps: Soldiers carry around a lot of stuff (I'm sure WWII was no different), so I think we should hear more than just the the soldier's feet hitting ground when walking/running. The footstep sounds should have more in it... to account for all the things that shake/bounce around when a soldier runs.

I think that's about it... for now.

1. Been suggested plenty of times, a reasonable suggestion I'm sure we all agree

2. Perhaps not off soft ground etc but tracers bounced a lot

3. Been Discussed - agree should be presented with something when you have no weapons in hand

4. Weapon spill is a bit annoying when that happens.

5. A minor benefit, not a bad idea either.

Upvote 0
Thought of another thing, so instead of creating a new thread just for it, I'm posting it here.

It seems that rifle rounds knock people over looking at how ragdolls fall in this game, and that doesn't really seem too realistic to me.

In this game, you could be sprinting forward, and then get shot by a rifle from the front and you'll fall backwards... similar thing when you get shot from the side, the ragdolls just kind of lose their forward speed and then plop downward.

Since rifle rounds that penetrade don't transfer much momentum at all, I think when people get killed by them, their ragdolls should continue their motion as they fall.

I realize DOD:S isn't the most realistic game, but they do model this well.

Minor thing I know, but we want this game to be as realistic as possible right? (without sacrificing gameplay of course, but last time I checked ragdolls in RO are purely cosmetic.)

Upvote 0
With the soldiers making noise....I dont know about you guys but the Army I was in didnt let us run around with all our equipment making noise.

Okay, but as it is right now every single soldier in the game is a super ninja with no audible footstep sounds even while sprinting beyond maybe 5 meters.

A couple more things I thought of:

Gun sounds should be way more audible at distances. Too many times I will get shot by a sniper, but will never even hear the shot.
In fact, at the size of most infantry/combined arms maps, pretty much all gun sounds should be audible anywhere on the map, given it's outdoors.

I just noticed this, but there are no bullet impact sounds when people get shot. Sure there are impact sounds when bullets hit the map or the objects in it. But there should definitely be some sort of crack/thud when bullets hit people. As the game is right now, there are none.

Upvote 0
Jumping and throwing a grenade should be disabled when have you ever seen a solider run then jump in combat when throwing a grenade?

The answer is never! Why? During combat the key is to stay low or be killed by enemy fire. Although someone probably may have done this in ww2 it was not and is not the norm and should be disabled since its usage is rampant in my opinion and exploit since you can get a lot more distance when you throw it.

Whats worse is every single game seems to have this unrealistic ability.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Soem of these have been discussed earlier to I won't write my opinion on them here, but #5 wounds like a great idea to me.
Raven Shield has great movement sounds and if I recall correctly Medal of Honor Allied Assault was good too.

That's definately something that should be looked into. It wouldn't be too hard to implement either, would it? There is no need for dangerous extra code that would require months of testing... All we need are new sounds and I'm sure Xancerman can come up with something great.:)

Upvote 0
Jumping and throwing a grenade should be disabled when have you ever seen a solider run then jump in combat when throwing a grenade?

The answer is never! Why? During combat the key is to stay low or be killed by enemy fire. Although someone probably may have done this in ww2 it was not and is not the norm and should be disabled since its usage is rampant in my opinion and exploit since you can get a lot more distance when you throw it.

Whats worse is every single game seems to have this unrealistic ability.
Part of the game. It's annoying, but there's really no way around it without implementing a list of restrictions which are themselves unrealistic.

I also note that in doing a jump-throw, the player in question is indeed exposing himself to enemy fire and lessening his chances of survival, consistent with the sort of risks this would realistically entail.

Upvote 0
The problem with the jump-grenades is that in real life, you would get no advantage from throwing something while jumping. The inertia you'd impart to the grenade would actually be less than when you're standing still because; as per Newton's third law; throwing the grenade would throw your body in the opposite direction, and you'd probably lose your balance and fall straight on your ass. In addition, your accuracy would be terrible. The same goes for throwing grenades while running.

So, while I don't think either type of throw should be strictly outlawed, there should be realistic penalties for throwing grenades while running or jumping.

Upvote 0
Football players leap and throw all the time and they tend to be executed during shorter distance plays, not long distances. So there may be something to that, for it certainly does throw balance off in some ways, not to mention setting stance for greater distance (bracing), but does not reduce accuracy, although you need to concider the angle differently, especially when running. So any lack in accuracy is greatly dependant on the throwers eye hand coordination and not some physics detriment. It may be that there is a physics concideration but it is over-come by the mind of the thrower who practices throwing something while on the move.

I completely agree with the foot steps/weapon noise, while running (sprinting) more than walking (albeit, there should be less not none for walking, and so forth). Yet, the dynamics would have to be employed for instances when the person listening is running too... I tend to hear my own breath and foot falls more than the enemies. Seems to over-ride. When crouching and just listening, not moving, I rarely hear anything above the distance din of gun fire, unless someone is running by close to me. Then I hear their foot falls.

Someone mentioned a sniper shooting them and never hearing the shot. I believe that is common, to be shot and killed and never hear the gun fire. Not that there are many witnesses.

Upvote 0