• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do i make an explosion hurt player

Sorry my australian sarcasm never come across well to other nationalities my fault.

Thank you very much, going to download your map example now

----------------------

But still not the solution as everyone in the volume just dies, and people with cover between the impact point and their position willnot be protected.

But still a creative solution, one thing of note you have no explosion effects being generated and some of your sounds are not kicking off. I found this the other night that sometime sounds in cripting one after the other don't always kick off.

I think in some instances Shureks solution would work like in an open area or field setting it would work great. but like you said if you are dropping mortars in an area with cover it would not be realistic unless you placed them just right. But it would still be possible. Shurek's setup though is how it is intended and how I originally thought of it working and that is of a denial of area weapon. Meaning your Arse is in your own hands when you run across the area.

Upvote 0
I think in some instances Shureks solution would work like in an open area or field setting it would work great. but like you said if you are dropping mortars in an area with cover it would not be realistic unless you placed them just right. But it would still be possible. Shurek's setup though is how it is intended and how I originally thought of it working and that is of a denial of area weapon. Meaning your Arse is in your own hands when you run across the area.

"Sorry my australian sarcasm never come across well to other nationalities my fault.

Thank you very much, going to download your map example now"

No hard feelings guys. :) I definitely appreciate the feedback on how this method is working or not working out. I'll keep crackin' on this issue and see if I can solve the reported problems.

I was aware of the intermittent sound issues, but never thought to test the cover situation. Divinehammer is correct...basically, I intended for the volumes to cover the open fields on my Altdamm map. It works on my map as intended, but it's not a perfect solution and probably will not work for all.

I know there has got to be a better way to do this, probably by creating the mortar as an extended weapons class - like perhaps the panzerfaust or something else.

Back to the laboratory lads...muhahahahaha

Upvote 0
Perhaps we may be thinking of this bass-ackwards.

If random death is your goal, then you can do the following:

1. Place a bunch of triggers over the area where the mortar barrage is supposed to fall.
2. When a player trips a trigger fire off an event that triggers a scripted sequence
3. In the scripted sequence:
- Play an "incoming round" sound.
- Fire off some sort of explosion
- Generate a random number
- If the random number is less than some threshold, kill the trigger instigator

I wouldn't worry about cover and all that. Explosives do strange things. I read a report from one soldier where a grenade went off between his legs and he came out of it without a scratch while nearby buddies were injured.

It's not necessary that a round land right next to someone, only that they believe they're in a barrage.

Upvote 0
Perhaps we may be thinking of this bass-ackwards.

If random death is your goal, then you can do the following:

1. Place a bunch of triggers over the area where the mortar barrage is supposed to fall.
2. When a player trips a trigger fire off an event that triggers a scripted sequence
3. In the scripted sequence:
- Play an "incoming round" sound.
- Fire off some sort of explosion
- Generate a random number
- If the random number is less than some threshold, kill the trigger instigator

I wouldn't worry about cover and all that. Explosives do strange things. I read a report from one soldier where a grenade went off between his legs and he came out of it without a scratch while nearby buddies were injured.

It's not necessary that a round land right next to someone, only that they believe they're in a barrage.

Thanks Dingbat , but this all stems from a mortar system I was trying to create Shurek has made it work for him and that is great . What I am doing is taking the random arty code and activating from a trigger at the mortars base. Then placing impacts wherevere I want so a player will launch shells into an area. I had initially made the impacts spawn Projectile actors of ROGrenadeExplosions but Shurek pointed out that they did not kill players so that was a big.... doh! If I knew what Actor would explode and kill a player next to it this would all be done. I think that your idea is great but what I was after is that if you keep the mortar pits clear you stop the the steel rain on your head. So the opposition has to be effectivly firing the tubes. I think what you are saying is more of an automatic firing I could be wrong though. Thanks.

Upvote 0
DingBat,

Spawning ROArtilleryshell is the only actor that will effectively kill a player within it's range when using a scripted trigger alone. I've tried spawning ROGrenade, ROTankshell (or whatever), ROSatchelCharge, etc. These are not the explosion effects actors, which I know there is a difference , but the actual weapons in ROEngine. Only arty works to produce the desired deadly effects. Divinehammer and I thought that the arty effect (sound, delay, and size of emitter effect) did not properly match a mortar hit. That's why we turned to a different approach...

So, I came up with the PhysicsVolume approach, because you can trigger the volume with a proximity trigger at the mortar position and set the kill type in the PhysicsVolume out in the field of fire to whatever you want (grenade, arty, stachel, tank kill, etc). This will produce a realistic kill radius too if you use a cylinder-shaped volume. You can also set the volume's ExitActor to any type of emitter to simulate another type of explosion effect rather than arty. The only major issue that has been reported (besides the ineffectiveness of cover inside the volume) is that the visual and sound effects work on a very sporadic basis during online play, although in single player they almost always work.

I think we're trying to gerryrig something that should probably be created as a separate weapons class. Darkest Hour and Carpathian Crosses are reportedly doing just this. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that, so this is about as close as I can get for my purposes, or for others who want to implement it on a map with more open space. Maybe it's just better to wait and see what they come up with unless someone else has different ideas.

Divinehammer, I'll take a look at your files when I get home tonight. Maybe I can work them into something nice :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How about this then:

1. Place a trigger on the mortars. It has to toggle on/off depending on the proximity of a player.
2. When the mortar trigger fires, it starts a scripted sequence
3. The scripted sequence does the following:
- Fires a round (plays appropriate sound, triggers emitter, whatever)
- Enables target trigger
- Play falling round sound
- Trigger explosion emitter
- If another player trips the target trigger, kill the instigator
- Disable the target trigger.
- Do it all again until the mortar is abandoned.

It's a little hokey compared to an actual coded crew served weapon, but I think this would work with a little effort. It will get you around the kill the player hurdle, anyway.

Hope that was clear.

Upvote 0
The big problem here Dingbat is the size radius of the killzone more then getting the kill.

Also when a explosion happens and you have the issue with cover in the way of the point of imapct which should protect you and different methods don't allow this.

The only explosions you can get is an AP Round, a HE Round and and artillery shell.

The HE Round is the closest to the mortar size other then a grenade but the sounds of the explosion are shocking but you are correct we gcould program a actor outside of the game but then that would mean another .u floating around and we trying to find a solution in the default set up.

Upvote 0
My suggestion doesn't require any programming beyond that used in scripted sequences.

It seems the options are:

1. Use the HE shell.
2. Write a new actor.
3. Fake it with a sequence.

#3 is complicated and I wouldn't swear it can be done at all, but I think it could.

I wouldn't sweat the situation where someone gets killed behind cover. That happened in real life. Is this feature in the map to enhance atmosphere or is it a fundamental part of the gameplay? If it's just atmosphere, then there's a limit to how much effort I'd want to put into it. If it adds the atmosphere and kills the odd person behind a wall, I could live with that.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
How about this then:

1. Place a trigger on the mortars. It has to toggle on/off depending on the proximity of a player.
2. When the mortar trigger fires, it starts a scripted sequence
3. The scripted sequence does the following:
- Fires a round (plays appropriate sound, triggers emitter, whatever)
- Enables target trigger
- Play falling round sound
- Trigger explosion emitter
- If another player trips the target trigger, kill the instigator
- Disable the target trigger.
- Do it all again until the mortar is abandoned.

It's a little hokey compared to an actual coded crew served weapon, but I think this would work with a little effort. It will get you around the kill the player hurdle, anyway.

Hope that was clear.

First of all thanks for your avid responses what we have so far is up to play falling round sound Basically we started with my mortars from Rackowice outpost and moved on from there. A new coded acctor looks like where we need to go but I dont know anything about those at all. We can trigger a grenade explosion but we have had mixed results and it does not kill the player. I think the problem with RO artillery shell is that it has a sound attached to it and the sound has to play and then the shell comes in. Mortars dont make a sound that loud Idont believe so we have just a *tink* sound at the tube. then timing , and then the round goes off. Maybe we can get someone in the coding section to whip up a new projectile. I agree with others though that we should be able to get something workable out of what comes stock with the game. I mean grenades kill people why cant we get that to work?
This may be a little hokey but I think it would be better than a crew served weapon. If you do that you lose shooters which we dont have enough of anyway. Once your movable mortar crew sees the enemy they will be under fire or dead before they get setup it would be interesting to try though. I think a static tube though will be better because a shooter can do both jobs. a Static crew served aimable weapon would be ideal but beyond my expertise. So I guess how do the grenades in game kill people?

Shurek: In thinking about your method isnt there an antigravity volume or something that could be activated with an explosion concentric rings of different antigravity would throw you down differently a direct hit would send you flying and the fall could kill you if you were on the outer ring it may just throw you and hurt your legs or something just a thought and twist to this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Selective kills

Selective kills

On the mover option, I was killed on a horizonal path of the mover object. The distance of the path and time ( a second or two) made it invisible even though the mover was visible. I thought this was a neat way to kill a selective area or a path of an explosion.

Shurek, a big "thanks" for your hard work, effort, and time to post possible solutions. It helps all mappers with ideas and alternatives for other maps.

Reservoir Dog

Upvote 0