• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bleeding to death.

You're probably thinking of a different mod. RO never had bleeding to death.

Any "combat ineffective" injury "kills" you in the game. Game deaths are actually casualties in the sense that the soldier cannot continue fighting (IE: killed or severely wounded). Even if you'd survive the wound, on the battlefield you're basically out of action, so the game zaps you back to the respawn que. Otherwise, you just keep fighting.

Upvote 0

realy no... but it is a little pitty... I remember this from mod Action Half Life and have to say that it is perfect addition to gameplay. It was nothing complicated... you only had to stop for a while and bandage your injury... which was one click and a few second when you need to stay still. It was good and I am a little missing these little things in RO gameplay... but just a little :)

Upvote 0
I don't know about you, but if I was severely wounded I wouldn't stop trying to defend myself. Its not like theres a cut-off point were you suddenly decide "nope, gonna die i'll just lie here for a bit". You would fight on even if you would die from your wound. For eg if you were shot in the leg by a KAR you would be combat ineffective long term, but you wouldn't just lie there waiting to die..you wouldn't die so fast unless an artery is hit.

So I think people looking at it from a realism point of view are wrong, but you should look at how it would affect gameplay..it would **** to be stuck on the ground only able to crawl so most would just type /suicide in console to respawn. BUT you should have the option to stay there until someone finishes you off or you bleed to death if you look at it realistically. I don't think you would die instantly from a wound unless it was a head shot or in the heart. I mean why is it that a hand shot never kills in 1 hit? You just drop your weapon and pick it back up again and fight on, but a leg shot means you respawn? I think a hand shot would make you much more combat ineffective than a shot in the leg (I think the weapon shot out of hand thing is a gimmick anyway, could be why they don't consider you combat ineffective, but thats for another thread), especially since the game only considers the entry location - you get shot in the hand and the bullet doesn't continue on into whats behind it, so if you shoot a guy in the front and are unlucky enough to shoot the hand you end up getting kamikaze'd by his nades, wereas the shot should probably continue on into his torso. Same thing when you shoot a guy in the side and hit the arm. OK going off on a tangent there, anyway to sum up - realism would be bleeding in some instances (with a hefty penalty to aim/shaky weapon), but gameplay is better as it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
My understanding's always been that when you "die" in game it's the point at which you are no longer considered a casualty that is no longer capable of being a frontline trooper. You are incapacitated in one way or another. The shots where our little avatar picture turns red here or there are generally shots where you were "winged". At least, that's how I understand the game to work.

Could you still (in some cases) with your dying breath lift a rifle and maybe get off one last shot at the enemy? Yeah, I suppose. But at a certain point we end up like this:

bknight3.jpg

And that's just silly. :)

Upvote 0
I'll bite yer legs off!!112

Seriously though, its to make the game more fun..shots in limbs probably wouldn't mean you suddenly give up and stop defending yourself, but who wants to have to get a head shot/shot in the heart to get a kill unless the wounds are modelled properly? And on the other hand things that should disable you don't, such as head shots sometimes (and no they don't model whether a shot only grazes you) and shots to the hand. Basically it seems to me each body part has its own hitpoints. Damage one enough and you get a kill, whether its the leg, little toe or left hand..shoot the left hand twice and thats it, wheras irl you would rest the rifle on your arm..you wouldn't need your left hand.

Upvote 0
it would be realistic and i would love to see it. you can be wounded bad enough to bleed out in a few min and die without being instantly combat ineffective. a shot in the leg or crotch if it dosnt hit bone would still let you stand and move around easy enough while you wouldnt be happy you would still be able to fight but... if hit in the right spot you could bleed out and pass out and die within a few min. 5 min maybe. just depends if the round hits a artery or not. if it hits one thats big enough you could be flowing a nice little river of blood out. but in the first couple min it wouldnt feel any diffrent to you then if you were just hit in the muscle and other soft tissue. First you would get cold and light headed then pass out then die after a few more min. but that first couple min you would be good to fight.

so yeah i would love to see this if it was done right. But... most rounds are what 15 min long? how often do people live that 5 min to bleed out if they are somewhere that would get them wounded the right way to be able to bleed to death anyway. IT would be so rare its most likely not worth the effort.

Upvote 0