• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Feature from Unreal - Dodge, what do you think?

Feature from Unreal - Dodge, what do you think?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 84.4%

• Total voters

U3BAPuHCKUU*_4yBAK

Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2006
What if add dodje ability into Red Orchestra, though it should not be 5 meters jump like in UT ,

It could be useful in some situations:
Dodje over door then spray with SMG; avoid gunfire by dodging in cover.

How could it work: you just double tap one of direction keys and you dodje in that direction.

Would be interesting to see, it has its uses. Dodging back around a corner to get away from a MG spray, or to jump out of the way of a grenade. If it's added it should work like the dive to prone, we dont need sidestepping morons in RO.

agreed. it shouldnt enable circle-straving.
not voting because im not sure if i really want this in or out.

Upvote 0
I think it should be more like a dive to one side or another, with the aforementioned double tap of the direction you want. Also, to make it fair, as said before, it should take lots of stamina, and your character should have to take time to either start crawling or stand up, because you don't want someone just diving down and hopping straight back up.

On second thought, this is already done by tapping alt:D, just without the cool disorientation effects that you would expect from diving straight onto your stomach:rolleyes: .

Upvote 0
I know what the dodge function did in UT, and I certainly wouldn't want to see THAT implemented in RO, nor do I think we're at any great risk of the devs saying "Yeah!! Great idea!" and putting it in.

My point is more about the utility of the maneuver. In UT, dodging actually had a purpose -- you could dodge slower moving projectiles. In this game, I don't see dodging as all that necessary. If someone's got the drop on you and fires, you won't have time to dodge. If you keep moving, they'll have a tougher time hitting you anyway.

I'm not above adding things like mantling and such, but this particular feature seems fairly useless to me. We can already just turn and dive.

Upvote 0
Dodge????? Dodge what? enemy fire?, artillary fire? Grenades?
Absolute ludicrous.
If anyone here thinks thats realistic, then they have spent too much time playing video games or watching too many super hero war movies, and now these influences have altered their way of viewing the facts of actual combat.

FACT 1. In real combat, no matter how fast you are or good your PC is, you probably cannot dodge bullets. Once in a while an induvidual may get lucky and avoid being hit but if you keep trying it you will get hit.
FACT 2. In real combat, you dont respawn after charging headlong into enemy positions and getting killed.
FACT 3. If you try side stepping like some drunk line dancer, you will end up breaking your ankles. Real terrain is not smooth like a tabletop as in video games.

I cant picture charging troops jumping side to side when landing on the beaches of Normandy, or side stepping when house clearing in Stalingrad!
I remember playing that old game Delta Force, and had players jumping side to side as they were running towards me for about a hundred yards and then they would knife me. Me being a little cheesed off would ask them if they thought that what they did could be done in real life. The answer i always got was
"yeh man no problem!!!"
then again maybe the nintendo generation knows something about infantry warfare that no one else does!!!
Change for the sake of change is not good. If some people would like RO to become more arcade like, (i.e easier) then so be it, but I for one likes the way it tries to model combat.

Upvote 0