• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Day of Defeat: Source vs Red Orchestra

I just don't see who would like DoD:S. Those who want a realistic game are much better of with ROO and those who like arcadey gameplay with realistic touches have a great game in CoD or CoD2.:confused:
DoD:s is alright and i found it quite enjoyable on the trial but i know exactly what you mean. It sits in a weird position now RO and COD are established -whereas DOD 1 when it came out it was well worth playing.
If you want a fast paced run and gun, CSS seems a better bet. If it has to be WW2 the either COD game gives you far more I think.
Also I thought Enemy territory was just as good and, of course, it was free.

DoD:S = arcadish kiddie garbage.

RO:O = man's game.

I mean, it's rather obvious to those with even half a clue. 'nuff said. ;)

lol - I doubt my mates in the railway track gang I work with would agree that I play a 'man's game' when I'm pretending to be a WW2 solder in RO on my computer...
But in the context of playing PC games, yeah I know what you mean.

Upvote 0
I just don't see who would like DoD:S.

With all the respect, I don't find it impossible. But then again, let me guess, that if someone says that "I don't see how someone would like RO", everyone would be instantly organizing a witch-hunt party? :p

I personally like CSS more than old CS. I personally like DoDS more than old DoD. Even though I haven't played DoDS lately, I wouldn't say it is exactly a bad game. If someone does, ain't my problem.

But it is true that RO vs DoDS would end up in RO's win, due the fact it has more overall content and generally more playability time. But then, RO isn't exactly King of the Ring.

I do not mean to be offensive against anyone, but I really wonder why we are having "just another bash DoDS thread"- around, even though it originally was not meant to be so?

Upvote 0
With all the respect, I don't find it impossible. But then again, let me guess, that if someone says that "I don't see how someone would like RO", everyone would be instantly organizing a witch-hunt party? :p

I personally like CSS more than old CS. I personally like DoDS more than old DoD. Even though I haven't played DoDS lately, I wouldn't say it is exactly a bad game. If someone does, ain't my problem.

But it is true that RO vs DoDS would end up in RO's win, due the fact it has more overall content and generally more playability time. But then, RO isn't exactly King of the Ring.

I do not mean to be offensive against anyone, but I really wonder why we are having "just another bash DoDS thread"- around, even though it originally was not meant to be so?
I point out faults in any game. RO has alot of faults/problems too which annoy & frustrate. RO is not Godly or perfect. But the "gameplay" of DODS is just beyond pathetic IMO. Charging around with your crosshair hipshooting bad guys was stale gameplay long ago. There's no "fun" or entertainment value in that for me (expecially for a WW2 game). If you want that kind of no brain gameplay just play Serious Sam or Unreal or any other non-serious FPS. Funnily I LIKE unrealistic FPS like Serious Sam, Will Rock, etc , as long as they have no illusions or basis in reality. If you want to make a Run N Gun/ blow off steam/have mindless fun type game DON'T use a real scenario such as WW2 to do it.

Upvote 0
Dod is not all that mindless,- sure its too fast paced to allow much thinking and teamwork, but they're there. To some extenct.

I dont like the purist approach, if I feel like rampaging and having mindless fun Ill play dod, not serious sam and such like, which I found extermley repetitive and boring. The more blended (realism/arcade) games out there the better- a game for every mood and taste.

If dod was pretending to be realistic it would be lame but it doesnt, and there is no law stating that ww2=realism.

I for one would really love to play a sci-fi RO style game.

Upvote 0
Dod is not all that mindless,- sure its too fast paced to allow much thinking and teamwork, but they're there. To some extenct.

I dont like the purist approach, if I feel like rampaging and having mindless fun Ill play dod, not serious sam and such like, which I found extermley repetitive and boring. The more blended (realism/arcade) games out there the better- a game for every mood and taste.

If dod was pretending to be realistic it would be lame but it doesnt, and there is no law stating that ww2=realism.

I for one would really love to play a sci-fi RO style game.
DODS doesn't blend realism & arcade. It's 95% arcade with the only realism is that it has historic based WW2 RL weapons, locations & combatants. There are so many unrealistic things about it I couldn't even list them all without forgeting some. It's WAY too easy for a veteran gamer. I don't see a point in playing games that have a near zero skill requirement. Do you think soldiers in WW2 went jumping around like a bunny on meth while hipshooting enemies RAMBO style? Lol! It's a game basically made for pre/early teens that just want to have something they can immediately jump in and start killing stuff & get high off the graphics and overdone blood mists, effects and general carnage. Also Serious Sam (which is a totally unrealistic game) requires alot more skill than DODS IMO. So what does that say about DODS? Not much good I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
What, you measured them 95% arcadism in a scientific way?....

dod realism points:
a. one primary weapon only- not an unlimited arsenal.
b. one shot in the head is enough- soldiers are very vulnerable.
c. mgs can penetrate walls and wood while the usual bullets dont.
d. usually there is a limit for roles - u cant have 20 snipers (although there are few servers that allow such stupidites)

should I go on?

and Im not claiming dod is a realistic game nor do I think they were bunnyhopin in ww2, keep it mature and dont put words to my mouth.

And if you think it needs no skill I urge you to visit the the wolfmanjack omaha server where youll find some of the best players to kick your ass.

EDIT: I dont believe im sticking out for a game I dont even like that much.
Guess Im just tired of all that elitist trendy bashing of a not so badish game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What, you measured them 95% arcadism in a scientific way?....

dod realism points:
a. one primary weapon only- not an unlimited arsenal.
b. one shot in the head is enough- soldiers are very vulnerable.
d. usually there is a limit for roles - u cant have 20 snipers (although there are few servers that allow such stupidites)

should I go on?

and Im not claiming dod is a realistic game nor do I think they were bunnyhopin in ww2, keep it mature and dont put words to my mouth.
Yes go on. What else is realistic about it? It's fine to defend why you like a game such as DODS but I'm just stating why I dislike it. Let me put it this way: take a good RO player and let him play DODS and he will destroy DODS noobs & vets alike. Take a good DODS player and let him play RO and HE will get destroyed. DODS doesn't leave you with any real gaming skills IMO. I have "fun" when I'm accomplishing something difficult. To me if something is extremely easy it's not fun. So there we go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes go on. What else is realistic about it? It's fine to defend why you like a game such as DODS but I'm just stating why I dislike it.

Lol, read my edit written 2 min after your post- I dont like it, not that much.

And I thought we were having an objective discussion about whether or not dod blend realism, and not why we like or dislike the game.

On a second thought... well you did say its 5% realistic so I guess we have no dispute...I would go more for the 30% but meh, whats the difference.

Upvote 0
Day of Defeat: Source is nowhere realistic. You could substitute the models from an entirely different game (lets say replacing the player models with aliens and the guns with "future" stuff) and it would play the same.

*sigh*
Realism is a wide term often mixed and confused in coversations such as this one. You are talking about realism in content, as opposed to fantasy, sci fi and other imaginary stuff. I was talking about realism in gameplay, which means you can have a realistic game a la RO in which youll fight aliens from alpha centaury and it will be realistic just the same.

And Ill say it for the last time- I dont think dod is realistic but it sure does icorporates a few realistic elements.
gamplaywise.

edit: And why bash a game for not being something it never promised to be? When I saw the trailers I was impressed- they looked like toystory soldiers which you can play with. When I bought it I wasnt disappointed cos it was just the easy going fun it pretended to be.
What next? youll whine about TF2 for not being realistic and that soldiers can rocketjump to and fro?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would take RO. RO is a breath of fresh air from the usual gaming grind...a common factor of most FPSs is that all angles feel insecure. Let me try to explain...

In RO, you can put yourself in a building and pour the hot lead on them with your MG42 and feel nice about it. In CoD2, you can grab your MG42, ice about one or two, then get immediately flanked by a guy who respawned below you. Balances it better, but quite a lot less fun! :mad:

As about DoD 1.3, I agree, it is better than DoDS...I only tried DoDS once, and that was in a game cafe...the rifle grenades pissed me off to no end. :mad: Training with RO and going into DoD...no one stands a chance against us! :D

The only reason why I'd want DoDS is for the models (most notably the helmets) to use in Gmod. I NEED THEM FOR MY COMIC! Apparently they don't have any helmet-less models and helmets unless I have the DoDS content pack (which uses DoDS files D:!!!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Eh, how is that a realistic point when all bullets penetrate things, also why is 8mm Mauser fired out of an MG42 more liable to penetrate than the same caliber fired out of a KAR98? Does the MG42 in reality have a +penetration majika value or something? And can you tell me what 'usual bullets' are :p

Upvote 0
Eh, how is that a realistic point when all bullets penetrate things, also why is 8mm Mauser fired out of an MG42 more liable to penetrate than the same caliber fired out of a KAR98? Does the MG42 in reality have a +penetration majika value or something? And can you tell me what 'usual bullets' are :p

The same way you could chop a tree with an MG42 in a matter of minutes-
R A T E O F F I R E

something you could never do with a KAR.

And about the 'usual bullets' you know I meant the caliber, dont be petty.
And if I was historically inaccurate and the MGs had same caliber bullets...well, what can I say- spank me :eek: I deserve it.

Upvote 0
Eh, how is that a realistic point when all bullets penetrate things, also why is 8mm Mauser fired out of an MG42 more liable to penetrate than the same caliber fired out of a KAR98? Does the MG42 in reality have a +penetration majika value or something? And can you tell me what 'usual bullets' are

Firepower diffrence. Sure, Kar and MG42 uses same bullet, same caliber bullets and such, but I do not recall that Kar uses belts or drums to contain ammo and empty them in less than few seconds ;)

Upvote 0
I played DoD, DODS, and now RO..

DoD orignal is beter then DoD: Source.. DOD don't have great physic or graphic, but i don't know why, it's better :)

DoD:Source is not to good optimized, like CSS... Yes, it's funy game, fast.. before i have played in clan DoDS, but after looking to many cheaters, i quit playing in clan.. now i playing only for myself..

RO is a realy clan game.. in RO, going alone around the map is boring, if you are not a sniperman.. RO is more ralistic game, and it's pleasure when you kill some Nazi with rifle at 200m :D

I love all 3 games, so if you wan't to know which is better, buy all 3 :)

Upvote 0
A 8mm is the same as 8mm guys...it doesnt matter how many you fire off in 2 seconds, it's still has the exact same energy....:rolleyes:

You can kill someone through a wall with one round of mg42 ammo in DOD but you can't with k98....:rolleyes:

Sure....you could tear down the wall with a bunch of rounds, but each round is still going through the wall. As for "cutting down a tree" with an mg42...LMAO. Trees where you live must be like twigs.

Upvote 0
Sure....you could tear down the wall with a bunch of rounds, but each round is still going through the wall. As for "cutting down a tree" with an mg42...LMAO. Trees where you live must be like twigs.
Maybe he lives in Delta Force Xtreme's desert. You can shoot off trees there with one single shot of a car15 look-a-like.:eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0