• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WWII & Russian Weaponry on "Lost"

Yeah they use a lot of WW2 weaponry alright, although that doesn't seem credible at all. That eyepatch guy in the last episode was using a Mosin-Nagant... although on the other stations there were AKs and SKS, which made a lot more sense given that they're all like from the 60s or something.
That french woman had an Enfield in the earlier seasons I think.

Upvote 0
although on the other stations there were AKs and SKS, which made a lot more sense given that they're all like from the 60s or something.

Actually, the SKS is from 1945, and was even used in very limited numbers at the very end of WW2, it had a very short service life with the Ruskies, it lasted longer serving China.
The AK-47 was issued staring 1951, and only served for 10 years, allready in 1961 it was dumped in favour of the AKM, and many of the 47's where sold or given away (to north Vietnam mainly), again it is China who fielded them for a long time.

And indeed, as other have noted, on a pacific island it would make more sense if they only had WW2 era Jap, US and Brit weaponry, why would there be Russian weapons of WW2-1950's era on such an island?

Upvote 0
LOL, yeah the hollywood "metal clanking sound" when someone points a firearm, i always think, "what shotty worksmanship, sounds like the thing is half put together.

The badguy in Phonebooth explains this:

"Now doesn't that just torque your jaws? I love that. You know like in the movies just as the good guy is about to kill the bad guy, he cocks his gun. Now why didn't he have it cocked? Because that sound is scary. It's cool, isn't it?"

Upvote 0
Is there any reason why someone who doesn't study gun history or Eastern weapons should be able to? I mean it's not something they teach in school or anything :p
No not really, but It's always nice to not be perpetually 100% completely ignorant on something though. The uninitiated will never learn by themselves unless they see it on "the news" or "the TV" or a movie. So unless those mediums try to educate even a little bit most people will remain deaf, dumb & blind which is maybe how they like it.

Can you tell I'm not a big fan of Hollywood?

What makes me mad is you have this huge forum for the masses to learn from (TV, movies) yet almost all anyone ever seems to do with it is just entertain & create escapism with it. *Must restrain!* No more ranting from me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First of all if you watched the show you would realize why there are all ruski guns all over.. the man with the eye patch, is russian but he also said that he came over to the island during the cold war.....

And Saiid (however you spell it... The Iraqi guy!) was shot in the arm with the 91/30 by the russian guy....

But the same thing here.. I started to laugh and said wow hes got a 91/30... I cant wait until I get mine along with a Kar98.. :D

LOST is Awesome!!

Also if you played the demo for Command and Conquer 3.... Sawyer is in it (LOST).... Michael Ironside is in it (Voice of Sam Fisher)...... Sharon/Boomer (Battlestar)...... Six (Battlestar).... and the chick from House...:D

Upvote 0
I saw the episode with the 91/30 yesterday.

I guess the bullet that hit Sarik was a dud.

I mean...when getting shot at that distance with a high velocity bullet in arm
you have two options :

1 - misses the bone....goes in and out (it wont stay there) as there is not enough space for the bullet to start to cavitate and do some real damage.

2 - hits the bone...say goodbye to you arm (or at least you'll be using a cast for quite a while).

Anyway....just whining a little...I actually quite enjoy watching Lost :)

Upvote 0
They're probably using com-bloc weaponry more than anything, since the sheeple (read "TV-watching masses") over here think that stuff is scarier-looking.

Most of the sheeple, including the idiots who run the newspapers and many police, can't tell the difference between an SKS and an AK. True.

Ugh, the term "sheeple" is so elitist and obnoxious.

Secondly, there's nothing wrong with people not knowing the difference between two esoteric things.

Regarding an SKS being mistaken for an assault rifle:

Compare this:
sks.jpg

and
ak-47.jpg

* Wooden stock
* Large curved magazine (aftermarket for the SKS)
* Gas tube on top
* Large raised front sight
* Russian markings on receiver

And to complete the "menacing" illusion, just swap the wooden stock on the SKS for one of these:

275455_d.jpg

At a glance, they're pretty similar.You'd have to know about either weapon to make the distinction, because on the surface they look pretty similar. We all know that the AK is fully automatic and has a detachable magazine, whereas the SKS is semi-auto and has a fixed mag. However, you can't tell that just by looking at the thing. Details such as the safety / selector switch aren't immediately obvious unless you what to look for.

The problem is when the news anchor or expert starts guess-timating what is being shown. They're just being fed whatever the writer is giving them, and the writers write to boost ratings. Quite frankly, "assault weapon" turns a lot more heads than "old cosmoline-encrusted rifle". :)

Upvote 0
The problem is when the news anchor or expert starts guess-timating what is being shown. They're just being fed whatever the writer is giving them, and the writers write to boost ratings. Quite frankly, "assault weapon" turns a lot more heads than "old cosmoline-encrusted rifle". :)
One of their favorites is refering to handguns as "a semi automatic handgun"........As opposed to all those single action revolvers from the 1800's that sometimes are used in crimes. DUh. They just like to add the phrase "semi automatic" to embelish and make things sound more scary to regular people. "Oh No SEMI AUTOMATIC SOUNDS SCARY!!" "Hold me Filbert!" I bet most people think semiautomatic means "full auto" and have no idea the difference.

Upvote 0
Ok who ever watched LOST last night.... I hope you noticed it, bc I did and I laughed my ass off....

Michael Giacchino does the music for LOST, but he also did the Medal of Honor games before that....

Last nights Episode had a submarine, and I even said to myself maybe theyll have a U-Boat, since all there stuff is right after WW2..... and they did....

What was so funny was, that when Lock was going into the Sub.... sure enough the Medal of Honor theme for the docks and U-Boats started to play... I Laughed my asses off.... BC none of my friends noticed it, nor would anyone else unless they were a BIG music fan...

I have ALOT of music, but I also collect game and movie OST (Original Soundtracks)....

Just thought Id throw that out there to ya... Go watch the part again..:D

Upvote 0
I saw some A&E movie about the US Cavalry, during the transition from horse mounted to vehicle mounted cavalry. The soldiers were ordered to shoot their horses, in one scene a officer walks down a line of horses and before every shot with his 1911 you hear a cocking sound... it pissed me off so much I changed the channel, too bad because the movie looked promising. :rolleyes:

Even better was that piece of s*** movie starring Antonio Bandaras based on El Mariachi (I think it was called "Desperado") when he had 2 semiauto pistols and ran out of ammo. There was a loud CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK as he continued to pull the triggers. Naturally the slide stayed forward on both guns too.
By the way if you haven't seen the Mexican original, it's great as long as you can understand Spanish or don't mind subtitles.

Upvote 0