• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Would like to see a detailed Overhead map tutorial

Divinehammer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2006
Sunny, Obamalot
I would like to see a detailed overhead map tutorial. I know there is one in the manual but that is not enough info to do it right I dont think. How do you edit the picture afterwords? Do you take the pic from the editor or from in game? I did the Fly thing and I cannot get high enough as I will hit the top of my world box before I can see the entire map? Should I set my top view in the editor somehow and take the picture from that? Thanks.

I just maximize the Top view window in the editor (with "Show Terrain" activated), take a screenshot, and then I edit it in Photoshop (or GIMP like I use), and then re-import it as my Overhead. Hit "W" in the editor to remove the static mesh actors from the view.

Remember also, the image dimensions must use the "rule of 2" (i.e. 512x512,256x256,512x1024,etc)

Upvote 0
You can make one in the editor or you could try to make it with
Photoshop or a similar program yourself.

When you decide to make one yourself take these steps.

1 - Remove any overhead you already added.

1 - Start your map.

2 - Bring up the overhead by press O

You will notice you will only see the objectives and ammo supply.
Take a screenshot of this stuff.

Open the screenshot in a program like Photoshop.
And cut out the overhead part. Make sure the size is 512x512

With this screenshot you will have a perfect reference material
to start draw your own Overhead. The positions of your objectives are clear and
you can paint or paste stuff there

You an choose pictures or other stuff as a background. I did it this way
and this is the result....

zit1943.jpg

P.S.

You might ask Bolt for proper Russian text :):)

Upvote 0
I did the first "screen cap" overhead for my first map, RO-RedGodOfWar. I did it because my drawing skills at the time were, er, limited.

Since then, I've wondered if it was the right thing to do.

I like Drecks approach a lot. It adds a bit of atmosphere while at the same time providing enough detail to be useful.

The bit I wrote up in the tut will get the job done if you want to go the screenshot route. I'd recommend giving Drecks method a try first. :)

Upvote 0
Dunno, really - the map itself has had a fair amount of feedback (unless those other threads are all spam - which they certainly don't seem to be).

If someone were doing a Dutch resistance mod and they put in some grammar/vocab or spelling errors on a Dutch map I am sure you would have a great deal of interest in seeing how it turned out.

Anyhow it is a diversion, admittedly. Back to the OHM tutes...

I have noticed that more and more mappers are using google earth shots of the area they want to cover then making that shot into a terrain layer and blowing it up hugely. They can then paint over that with other layers ot use detail textures to make it look good close up.

DasKarma first showed me this trick in use and it CAN work well (i.e. it doesn't always) - the point is that if you do this you already have your OHM available as you started from that and then made the map rather than vice versa.

Upvote 0
I see Drecks's method is slick because everything would line. Could there not be a way to use layers in PS to combine Shureks and Drecks method? Also where do you get the cool bacground paper that the maps are on could someone post some of those an old torn stained map would be cool. I am not a PS expert so you will have to talk to me like I am dumb. I found a tut of a wanted poster but if someone could post some base materials then we can just draw on that for maps it would make things go much faster. Thanks for the Replies.

Upvote 0
I see Drecks's method is slick because everything would line. Could there not be a way to use layers in PS to combine Shureks and Drecks method? Also where do you get the cool bacground paper that the maps are on could someone post some of those an old torn stained map would be cool. I am not a PS expert so you will have to talk to me like I am dumb. I found a tut of a wanted poster but if someone could post some base materials then we can just draw on that for maps it would make things go much faster. Thanks for the Replies.

You can Google "Paper texture" or "Parchment texture". I used to have a link to site that had some great looking paper t. I'll try to find it when I get home tonight. Here's a link to some instructions on how to create an old parchment look from scratch:

http://www.dwphotoshop.com/photoshop/antique_paper.php

Last edited:
Upvote 0