• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How many miles to you get to the gallon?

Yeah, my next car I'll deffinitly get a diesel or a hybrid.

Some advice that saves me some gas is....

#1-Coasting is nice when your on slight declines in the road
#2- Cruise control (Unless your going uphill)
#3-Tire pressure is slightly over inflated.
-Do you remember when your a kid, and you go down hill on a bike? The harder the tires, the faster your went. Same prinicpels apply, but dont make it to over inflated :^/

Upvote 0
The yanks really need to discover power to weight ratio's :p.

Yank: "I know ill make a 800 hp 8 litre car that weighs 4 tons!
European: " Ill make a 200 Hp 2 litre car that weighs 1 ton!
End result is same speed car :p (give or take for the pedantic amongst you ;P)
Puhleeze, anyone who thinks that those English Standard Uni-body poop- boxes is a better more dependable ride than a Chevy Nova with a Slant-6, an American Made Toyota Tacoma, or even a better Truck than the F-350 is seriously kidding themselves. :p

I hate uni-body cars with a passion... I will never willingly own anything other than a solid-built steel frame beast. :cool:

BTW, our cars weigh about the same as yours, they just have more power and are built better, unless you are talking about a $500,000 Bentley. :p

P.P.S. mileage is based mostly on gearing, and a well tuned motor. Cars with double overdrive like the Camero and Corvette get phenomenal mileage for a muscle car.

P.P.P.S. Japanese engineers basically copied American designs for all of their motorized vehicles, like my Toyota Landcruiser can accept a second gear from a Chevy 3-speed, the axles are an improved version of the Chevy 10-bolt, and the Mitsubishi Zero was designed by Howard Hughes

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i'm going to go ahead and betray my country by saying that if i made a list of 20 cars i would like to have, none of them would be from america.

and none of them would get good MPG
Cars are for chicks, MEN drive Trucks. :p:rolleyes:;)

BTW I offer "How to Be a Man" classes for people who Manage Subway Sandwich Chains. The rates are reasonable, PM me for an appointment. :D

Upvote 0
About 25 in the Miata, it sees the rev-limiter on a semi-regular basis, and 4.1 final drive ratio doesn't do much for it.. and 5th is BARELY over drive. 4,000 RPM at 80 mph. Woot.

Similar to Venkman's mileage in his Bronco with my wife's Bronco. I'd love to see anything getting 30 MPG haul a 3,000 lb trailer over the Rockies, though. :p

Yeah, my next car I'll deffinitly get a diesel or a hybrid.

Some advice that saves me some gas is....

#1-Coasting is nice when your on slight declines in the road
#2- Cruise control (Unless your going uphill)
#3-Tire pressure is slightly over inflated.
-Do you remember when your a kid, and you go down hill on a bike? The harder the tires, the faster your went. Same prinicpels apply, but dont make it to over inflated :^/

Coast, yes. Cruise, yes. Tire over-inflation? A qualified no. Let me qualify that no.

If you're talking about inflating past the maximum on the sidewall of the tire, don't. That max rating is there for a reason. Overinflation can cause serious problems with handling and/or braking. Your life is worth a lot more than a few drops of fuel. There's still enough around, trust me.

If you're talking about the inflation placard on the vehicle... well, I can't speak on the ones outside the US, but the companies that sell in the US always put numbers that are far too low on those. They say something like 32 PSI for my Miata, which is almost 10 PSI too low for me. I run about 42 front and 38 rear for the best handling balance (max tire pressure on the sidewall is 44.)

Other fuel-savings methods:

Thinner oil in the engine. Running 20W50? (I do, my engines are worth more than some gas.) 5W30 takes less energy to pump, therefore you save fuel. This is the ENTIRE reason some companies are going to 5W20, so if your car is rated for that piss-thin oil, go for it... just don't cry when your engine finally dies.

You can apply that to the rest of the drivetrain: thinner transmission oil (unless you have an AT, then you don't really have a choice, and if you have an AT, you're hosed mileage-wise anyway), etc.

Take belts off crap you don't need, or use belts that are short enough to bypass useless crap like Air Injection pumps, AC compressors, power steering pumps (takes more mods than just a shorter belt to work right). The only two items you REALLY need? The alternator and water pump.

Get an alignment. Your car probably needs one by now...

Take the excess crap out of your car!! Weight wastes fuel (and speed. :D ) Just ditching the crap that's sitting in your car for no good reason is a great start. If you want to get really crazy about it, pull the rear seat (if you don't use it), pull the spare and tools (carry a cell phone and AAA card), carpet, headliner, most of the dash, airbags... pretty much anything you don't NEED to drive. Combine this with ditching crap like the belt-driven AIR pump (older cars) and AC system, you're on the right track.

Turn crap off. Yeah, it sounds dumb, but running electrical stuff puts a load on your alternator, and that puts a load on your engine. It does in fact take HP to run your heater fan at high speed. Turn it off except when you need it. Disable daytime running lights, they honestly are wasting fuel. Keep your headlights off till it's dark out. You won't see much savings (you probably won't notice it) from those last ones, but it'll be there.

If your ignition timing is adjustable, have it advanced a couple more degrees. Advance it till it pings, then drop it back till it stops. :p Bonus points: more torque across the range, and better engine response. Ping is bad, it puts holes in pistons as it robs power.

Note that I don't really follow those. I use a couple of them to get better performance/power from my vehicles, but I'm not trying for top mileage...

Upvote 0
I like 5-50 Castrol Syntec. :cool:

I liked the 5/50, but don't like the Syntec since it's not TRUE synthetic, just very highly-refined dino oil.

@ Snozz: It's probably true, but not a huge increase. Everything loosens up a bit after a few thousand miles. I do know that an engine that's got a few thousand on it typically shows more power on a dyno than the same car and engine does when it's only got a few hundred on it (unless it's a race build, then it's loose as hell to begin with.)

Oh, and about hybrids: I wouldn't. First, the nickel metal hydride batteries are supposed to be VERY bad to produce environmentally, then you have to worry about disposal and lifespan of the battery... IIRC, lifespan is about 10 years, which I laugh at, since the absorbed glass mat battery in my Miata is the original from Hiroshima: 11 years old going on 12. Then there's the fact that the engine probably won't live to see the battery pack's death. The small-assed engine is what's moving the car on the freeway, meaning it's getting the piss worked out of it. It's going to strain on the freeway, in fact.

Previous experiences I've had back me up: in Michigan, we had lots of customers with full-size trucks and vans. We noticed two things about engine selection. One was that if you went with a 6 cylinder in a full-size truck, you wouldn't get any better mileage than the V8 model. The other was that the 6 cylinder engines wouldn't last nearly as long. Same reason for both: they were having to work too hard to move the vehicle around.

I can just imagine the engines in hybrids on the freeway. They're selected small on purpose. They've gotta be straining at freeway speeds.

Oh, and fun fact: the majority of the hybrids I see through my shop get about 1,000 miles/year put on 'em. Yep. Those morons are saving loads of money.

Upvote 0