• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Day of Defeat: Source vs Red Orchestra

I didn't think this question was big enough to make its own thread for, so I will just post it here.:) What is a realism clan?

Think of war reenactments. Basically instead of having reenactors running around in a field with goofy clothes and bad acting, you have reenactors playing a game. Realism clans take up the name of a unit that actually existed in the war, and usually try to act with a military attitude and ranks and such. Its a good alternative to the CS:S teams who live on the principles of owning n00bs and winning at any cost.

Upvote 0
I don't even play RO anymore...I don't know why, just grew out of it I guess, it started becoming a hassle for me because I'm in the 5.ss and had responsibilites and I just didnt have the time anymore. Everytime I play I feel that I have to take charge and lead because not many people can do it like me. Thusly it wears me down.

If you want to be good at RO you need to think a ton which requires energy. If you want a thinking mans war game RO is it. I mean you can play the game all run and gun brainless rambo style, but you won't be very good.

If you get RO, and you want to become a great shot, use bolt actions exclusively. Once you get the hang of it people will acuse you of cheating, and you also have a bayonet! The 5.ss went about 3 weeks in which we required EVERYONE to go bolt action only, and no sniper rifles. We became EXCELLENT shots and when we went back to all weapons our aiming and reaction time improved greatly.

Upvote 0
I didn't think this question was big enough to make its own thread for, so I will just post it here.:) What is a realism clan?

Definition depends on the clan:

A realism clan is a body of gamers who feel that the game they play is not realistic enough so they enforce arbitrary 'rules' in their server and in their ranking structure. Usually the top brass gets off on the fact that a lackey whenever he joins the server has to type in *salute* or do so over the microphone. They are known to limit some gamey actions, such as running and jumping at the same time, spraying wildly (meaning only being allowed to use iron sights), etc. Some of then have fun, and some of them are just dumb.

Upvote 0
Know your weapons class and use it for the benefit of the team.

For instance, if you are a Sapper you are issued satchel charges, these are sometimes critical to your teams advancement. There are destructible walls, bridges, and tank barricades that need to be taken out.

As the squad Leader you are issued smoke 'nades, they are gold for concealing troop advancement, and blinding those deadly well placed enemy MG's and Snipers.

Have Fun.

P.S. be sure to press "V 4 6" to activate the "Achtung Shambeh Bambeh!!" Alert to notify friendly forces when you plant a satchel. :D

Upvote 0
DOD:S has horrible physics. Their idea of recoil = muzzle climb. Weapons don't always make sense (Schnellfeuer, WTF!?!?!), neither does the damage they do. That game's not terribly logical. And the maps are small, linear and overall craptastic.

RO:O has very good physics. Recoil is like a real weapon's (most of the time :p ). Maybe I should say MORE like a real weapon's (haven't found a game yet that gets recoil 100% right.) The maps are still somewhat linear, but in a logical way, and you can move AROUND to the flanks of your enemy. Not possible, really, on most DOD:S maps I've played.

Gameplay-wise, RO:O blows DOD:S away. DOD's gameplay is awkward-feeling, and I've never been able to shake that feeling. RO is a lot more immersive.

Oh, and community? Let's see... RO:O is a friendlier community, IMO. Much more the people I'd like to hang out with. DOD:S is more the "lolz, you=teh suxorz!!!!11!!oneeleven" type.

Upvote 0
Hopefully, the RO community is better than the Halo 2 community.
I've had bad experiences.(being cussed out because I ****ed on my first online match:eek:)
See Halo 2 is to the xbox what Counterstrike is to the pc. The games are great, but they should be played with friends or semi-friends because there are so many a--holes and little children online.
DoD:S as the little sister of CS:S is much more plagued by this than RO. Partly because RO is so realistic and most of those Counterstrike/Halo 2/DoD:S people want to own right away, but its just not possible in RO to the same extent and it requires a lot more thinking and less "aim". Good CS-aim doesn't help you in RO and that seems to keep the CS-Kiddies at bay, and if they come anyway they are soon assimilated because humans behave like their environment behaves.

Sure, there are bad sports, sore losers, team-killers and what-not, just as they are in every game out there, but their density is much lighter in RO.

Upvote 0
I like being in the middle of a firefight instead of hanging out in a window IMO, so that shouldn't be a problem.:)

By the way, are the battles big?

bigger then in DoD :rolleyes: or at least so it seems to me, because DoD has more narrow corridors so you dont get to see much of your own forces except when its their dead bodies or players in the spawn.
RO is overall much more open, so most of the time when you look left or right over your shoulder you should see teammates fighting :)

have a look at my xfire profile to see wich one i played more ;) http://www.xfire.com/profile/sicdisaster/
DoD is enjoyable, but not very long. ive been playing Ostfront since release day.
it depends on where your taste lies. are you into circlestrafing enemies with your thompson or are you into one shot one kill gameplay? :)

Upvote 0
DOD:S has horrible physics. Their idea of recoil = muzzle climb. Weapons don't always make sense (Schnellfeuer, WTF!?!?!), neither does the damage they do. That game's not terribly logical. And the maps are small, linear and overall craptastic.

RO:O has very good physics. Recoil is like a real weapon's (most of the time :p ). Maybe I should say MORE like a real weapon's (haven't found a game yet that gets recoil 100% right.) The maps are still somewhat linear, but in a logical way, and you can move AROUND to the flanks of your enemy. Not possible, really, on most DOD:S maps I've played.

DoD:S has way better physics than RO, because its Source. You're talking more about weapon handling. I agree DoD:S's weapon handling ****s, it assumes every player in the game has the arms of a 5 year old girl. RO is much, much better and more realistic in weapon handling. DoD:S might have the dominant and superior physics engine, but I have yet to see a game other than HL2 use the physics to impact the gameplay.

Upvote 0
Give a 5 year old girl a PPSh41, let her shoot it, and what you see will be quite similar to what happens in RO :rolleyes:
QFT.

Fu. Svedberg said:
Learn how to pull down your mouse and see what happends (if that's not to difficult for you)
Noo000OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Guns don't have a stupid mouse-tail that hangs up on everything. :D

Upvote 0