• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Axis Tanks = Owned?

In English the term is "hull down", keeping the hull out of the line of fire by using terrain features. The idea is to give the enemy the smallest possible target to engage (in this case the turret), and deny him the ability to hit your weakest armor. It takes practice and the right terrain feature to make it work. Too shallow a slope for your protective feature and the enemy's trajectory can still put his rounds into your soft spots

Thanks

Regarding German tanks and combat...

One of the major problems is the limited visual range of the available maps. The reason Tigers and Panthers were so absolutely deadly was their ability to kill Russian tanks at extreme ranges due to their excellent guns and superior optics. Panthers in particular had extremely accurate and powerful guns, outperforming even the vaunted Tiger at long range. FYI, by "long range" I mean ranges from 1500-2000 meters or more.

So far the longest engagement distance I've encountered on any map has been about 800 (virtual) meters. Beyond that you can't see the targets because they fade into the fog. By the time you can see an enemy tank to engage it you're already in HIS effective engagement range of YOUR tank. This really negates the advantages of the later German tanks' powerful guns and ALL German tanks' superb optics.

I'm not sure if this is an engine limit or mapping limitation, but it really does make the job of the Axis tanker far more difficult.

The gun of the Tiger-1 on a long distance was more effective. On short the Panther was more effective.

I already spread here these numbers .

The Soviet statistics on losses of tanks.

1 column a distance of bombardment.
2 column losses of tanks and self-propelled gun . 75/88 mm %/%

100-200м - 10%/4 %
200-400м - 26%/14 %
400-600м - 33/18
600-800м - 14,5/31,2
800-1000м - 7/13,5
1000-1200м - 4,5/8,5
1200-1400м - 3,6/7,6
1400-1600м - 0,4/2
1600-1800м - 0,4/0,7
1800-2000м - 0/0,5

I do not speak that these numbers are absolutely correct.
Who be can lay out data of German ?

All war was on a distance less than 900 m. Sometimes Germans shot the Soviet tanks on a long distance. But it nothing changed .

Upvote 0
Longer distances will not fix anything.

A: you can't see that far with the current zoom of the optics or the enemy will be about the size of a pixel
B: The aim of the tanks is not precise enough, pushing left or right moves the aim too much when shooting very far.
C: An angled tank is too difficult to penetrate at 20 meters, shooting from 2000 meters will not fix anything.
D: The shells fly so slowly that you will not hit a moving tank at those distances.

Upvote 0
panthers gun had so far i know a higher penetration. But iam not totally suer about this! So far i can tell, it has to do with the kind of shell the tank is using, like the ... what ... Panzergranate 39 or 41, some know it better iam sure. AP Shels with a core (Tungsten, Wolfrahm?).

It depended on the shell that was used. But with the right shell, the panther had on distance a higher penetration then the tigers 88, but if penetrated the lethal damage, was with the 88 higher I think. A penetration, doesnt mean that it is destroyed with one single shoot. The 88 had at least a slight higher weight then the 75mm gun, which is also something that should not be forget. The length of the panthes canon, gave it a incredible muzle velocity and with that a high accuracy, comparable to the Tigers II long 88. Except that the new 88 had a incredible penetration also!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.5_cm_KwK_42

A: you can't see that far with the current zoom of the optics or the enemy will be about the size of a pixel
B: The aim of the tanks is not precise enough, pushing left or right moves the aim too much when shooting very far.
C: An angled tank is too difficult to penetrate at 20 meters, shooting from 2000 meters will not fix anything.
D: The shells fly so slowly that you will not hit a moving tank at those distances.

that is very true! But the shells from the panther/tiger do drop less on distance compared to soviet tanks. THough i might be wrong, but thats what i noticed in game.

For the optics. I would love to see different optics for germans (best had tiger and panther!) with diferent zoom and measures etc.! for maps like Orel, and a view distance of 3000(!) units, this would REALY make tank fights much more tactical and at least for me, enternaining! But then soviets should get on maps like orel finally some tanks with the 85mm or directly a SU (either with the poor short bareled poor 122mm or the good 152mm, a short 122mm are still better then the soviet 76mm i would say). THEN, with such guns and more or less realistic penetration, anglig will be for all the tanks a real matter( mainly for the tiger)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Comparitive penetration abilities of the Tiger's 88mm and Panther's 75mm main guns (data from Achtung! Panzer! website):

88mm KwK 36 L/56 Penetration of Armor Plate at 30 degrees from Vertical:
(Ranges 100m, 500m, 1000m, 1500m, 2000m)
Panzergranate 39 - 120mm 110mm 100mm 91mm 84mm
Panzergranate 40 - 171mm 156mm 138mm 123mm 110mm

75mm KwK 42 L/70 Penetration of Armor Plate at 30 degrees from Vertical:
(Same ranges as above)
Panzergranate 39/42 - 138mm 124mm 111mm 99mm 89mm
Panzergranate 40/42 - 194mm 174mm 149mm N/A N/A

As you can see the Panther's main gun actually outpenetrates the Tigers at all ranges with both standard AP and tungsten-core AP. The Tiger only has an advantage using Panzergrante 40 beyone 1000 meters, since the 75mm round shed velocity and very quickly became ineffective at longer ranges. While the penetration differences aren't large (except in the case of the tungsten rounds) they are enough to make the difference between a penetrating and non-penetrating hit at longer ranges.

The biggest advantage the Germans had was in their optics. Simply put their optical sighting and rangefinding systems were outstanding, far superior to comparable Allied systems. Unfortunately I don't think there's any way for current game engines to properly represent those differences. Too many limitations on visual representation as well.

Ah, well. Maybe someday.

Upvote 0
panthers gun had so far i know a higher penetration. But iam not totally suer about this! So far i can tell, it has to do with the kind of shell the tank is using, like the ... what ... Panzergranate 39 or 41, some know it better iam sure. AP Shels with a core (Tungsten, Wolfrahm?).

It depended on the shell that was used. But with the right shell, the panther had on distance a higher penetration then the tigers 88, but if penetrated the lethal damage, was with the 88 higher I think. A penetration, doesnt mean that it is destroyed with one single shoot. The 88 had at least a slight higher weight then the 75mm gun, which is also something that should not be forget. The length of the panthes canon, gave it a incredible muzle velocity and with that a high accuracy, comparable to the Tigers II long 88. Except that the new 88 had a incredible penetration also!
As others have posted, matching shell types, the 75mm KwK42 outperforms the 88mm KwK36.
The Pz.Gr.39 is a APCBC and the Pz.Gr.42 is an APCR.
The Pz.Gr.39 was definately a "shell", which means it had a (small) bursting charge to explode the shell after penetration. The charge for the 88m was somewhere between 45g and 59g, but I can't remember, and it differed slightly if it was for a Flak or KwK.
I don't image that the damge received between the 88 and the 75 would have really differed with such a small bursting charge.

Upvote 0

Yes and no. Longer distances is a start, but there are definitely some problems that would also need fixing (back to my "You can't just fix ONE thing and call it done" statement).

A. Absolutely true. The zoom of the optics is designed for the shorter range official maps where max engagement distance is about 800m and even then it's rare. We might need adjustable zooms (if they had those) to take advantage of the increased viewdistance.

B. That could be handled by what zoom mode you're looking in. If you're closer, you move much more quickly. Longer range means slower traverses.

C. The angling's not so clear. I actually find that the tanks perform MUCH closer to real-world equivalents at longer range. It's when you get close that things get REALLY wonky. Case in point -- the other night on BDJ I had my Tiger set up on a hill overlooking T-34-76s at between 600m and 750m. They didn't do squat to my frontal armor, but I was one or two-shotting them with ease. If they'd gotten in closer, I'm not so sure things would've gone that way. As I've said, I think close range actually uses longer ranges' values. (IE: the game doesn't distinguish range once you get below 200m)

D. True, but you can adapt. Especially with German optics, there are hash marks that you can line up on the side that'll let you lead a target. You just have to adjust your tactics to take the shell speed into account. Although it'd be nice to see real-world velocities for the shells, assuming they could be accurately rendered by the engine without doing things like flying through objects or hitting on one player's computer but not the other's.

Upvote 0
We might need adjustable zooms (if they had those)

Off the the top of my head I know the Tiger I did 2.5x and 5x.

C. The angling's not so clear. I actually find that the tanks perform MUCH closer to real-world equivalents at longer range. It's when you get close that things get REALLY wonky. Case in point -- the other night on BDJ I had my Tiger set up on a hill overlooking T-34-76s at between 600m and 750m.
Its not acting as it should even at long range Ive been 1 shot killed at long range by a all the 76 russian tanks in Orel in a Tiger. I believe theres a weak spot around the shovel or hammer in the front. The side armor is vulnerable at anyrange to russian 76mm tanks. The T-34-85 still penetrates the Tiger I at ranges exceeding 500 meters from the front as can be seen on the "redux" verion of Orel.
I would recommend you to try the Panzer IV H or the Stug III on black day the 76mm russian tanks can penetrate its frontal armor at any range on unless you angle.
The 76.2mm gun on the T-34 could not penetrate 80mm at 200-100 meters.

They didn't do squat to my frontal armor,

Yes, but eventually the round even after deflecting will cause your tank to turn "yellow" is this a bug? If the round doesnt penetrate how could it cause damage?

but I was one or two-shotting them with ease.

The 88's and 75's should kill most tanks in 1 shot due to thier enormous power.

The funniest thing about BDJ is how the German T-34R-(1?) acts against the other T-34 you can fire all day at each other the rounds will always deflect unless you hit him when hes not angled (even slightly) or or manage to hit his weak spot. This is not realistic the 76.2mm gun wielded by the T-34 (the f-34 I believe ) can easily penetrate the T-34's armor.

Upvote 0
Off the the top of my head I know the Tiger I did 2.5x and 5x.

Well the question would then be (a) are the other tanks showing their proper zooms, and (b) did the others have adjustable zooms. I don't know about either.

Its not acting as it should even at long range Ive been 1 shot killed at long range by a all the 76 russian tanks in Orel in a Tiger. I believe theres a weak spot around the shovel or hammer in the front. The side armor is vulnerable at anyrange to russian 76mm tanks. The T-34-85 still penetrates the Tiger I at ranges exceeding 500 meters from the front as can be seen on the "redux" verion of Orel.

True, but it's still a lot better than it is otherwise. Put simply, none of the matchups are right. The [tank] can be penetrated at [unrealistically close range] by the [other tank]. You can pretty much say that about most of the matchups.

I would recommend you to try the Panzer IV H or the Stug III on black day the 76mm russian tanks can penetrate its frontal armor at any range on unless you angle.
The 76.2mm gun on the T-34 could not penetrate 80mm at 200-100 meters.

Like I said, all of the tanks are borked in terms of penetration. I think on the whole, though, the system is far less objectionable at long range than at close range. At close range, you get WAY more ricochets than seems reasonable. At long range, you may still get ricochets, but they seem a lot more reasonable under the circumstances. And we still have no idea how vehicles match up at any range over 1000m, really. (well, maybe you can squeak out 1100m or 1200m on Orel, but that's about it)

Yes, but eventually the round even after deflecting will cause your tank to turn "yellow" is this a bug? If the round doesnt penetrate how could it cause damage?

I haven't had this happen to me personally, and I don't recall hearing about it before. Not sure what's up with that unless it's supposed to simulate spalling. It's news to me, though.

The 88's and 75's should kill most tanks in 1 shot due to thier enormous power.

Kill or penetrate? Bear in mind that not every penetrating shot is going to be a kill. In my anecdotal example, I was PENETRATING with every shot. Whether I was hitting a critical location depended a lot on my aim. While I'd love to see more critical locations modeled (IE: especially crew compartments), there's a lot of other stuff that needs fixin' too. I don't think you can change just one aspect of the tank system at this point. You need to fix the thing as a whole or else you'll only point out other glaring flaws (or possibly exacerbate them).

The funniest thing about BDJ is how the German T-34R-(1?) acts against the other T-34 you can fire all day at each other the rounds will always deflect unless you hit him when hes not angled (even slightly) or or manage to hit his weak spot. This is not realistic the 76.2mm gun wielded by the T-34 (the f-34 I believe ) can easily penetrate the T-34's armor.

Well, at this point, the overmodeled effect of angling is well documented and well known. So, yeah, I agree, but now what? Like I've said, the problem isn't unique to the T-34, it's just more pronounced with the T-34. Angling affects ALL tanks more than it should. It's just more obvious with the T-34. And I still say that close range performance is WAY more screwed up than long-range performance. At least at long range when you see a shot bounce off you can say "Well, ok, I guess I could see that happening maybe." But when the IS-2 fires at less than 200m and the shot ricochets....well, to me, that's a BIG problem.

Upvote 0
[...]
Like I said, all of the tanks are borked in terms of penetration. I think on the whole, though, the system is far less objectionable at long range than at close range. At close range, you get WAY more ricochets than seems reasonable. At long range, you may still get ricochets, but they seem a lot more reasonable under the circumstances.[...]
Uhm so what you say that the system is flawed, no matter what distance. The only difference is that the flaw on long distance seems reasonable, as it is, well, long distance.

the same said:
[...]
I don't think you can change just one aspect of the tank system at this point. You need to fix the thing as a whole or else you'll only point out other glaring flaws (or possibly exacerbate them).[...]
That way you'd never start!
  1. change health aspect
  2. change penetration aspect
  3. change angling
  4. change ...
D'oh, it's a list and you have to start somewhere and can't work on everything at once.
Why should you wait releasing a mut only because there is still work to be done?
While you add other points to your mutator people could actually try the last version and give feedback.
I hope you don't have this way of thinking in real life or you'll never get anything done.

Upvote 0
Uhm so what you say that the system is flawed, no matter what distance. The only difference is that the flaw on long distance seems reasonable, as it is, well, long distance.

Pretty much, yeah. The impact of the problems is LESS at longer range, although it's still not right. It's WAY worse at close range, though.

That way you'd never start!
  1. change health aspect
  2. change penetration aspect
  3. change angling
  4. change ...
D'oh, it's a list and you have to start somewhere and can't work on everything at once.

No, but Tripwire can (and should) work on fixing the system as a whole. They're the people in the best position, given the breadth of problems we face.

Why should you wait releasing a mut only because there is still work to be done?
While you add other points to your mutator people could actually try the last version and give feedback.

Why not get started? Well mostly because you likely won't fix things, and on top of that, you may make other things worse. That's not to say that it isn't nice to see things like Armored Beasts being created. But consider some of the things people have said in this thread. Yes, it improves the speed of shells and the armor and penetration values...but now the maps are heavily slanted towards the Germans and can be not that much fun to play. The only way to adjust that is on the mapper's end.

Or let's say we decide "The problem is that tanks are too survivable and need more critical areas." So some enterprising modder makes a mutator that creates a crew compartment, optics, etc., only (a) this adds a ton of strain to the CPU, and (b) it makes all the tanks basically die in one shot.

So, great, we fix an aspect of the game, but we make the maps a drag to play or make it no fun to drive a tank at all in the process, which means people shy away from the mutator.

I hope you don't have this way of thinking in real life or you'll never get anything done.

Well, for starters, that's rather a ridiculous extrapolation, but this is the internet so I guess it comes with the territory. I'm not saying "No one should attempt to fix anything here at all." I'm saying that "fixing" the system takes more than simply "Oh, we'll just make the armor on these tanks stronger and weaker on those tanks" or "Oh it's easy -- we simply increase penetration values for these shells but not for those" or whathaveyou. This is a large scale problem that involves BOTH coders AND mappers.

Right now, the armor system strikes me as sort of "scaled" to the range of the official maps. Personally I think it works a little better (or at least you find yourself saying "WTF???" a lot less often) at longer range, but your mileage may vary on that. Regardless, if you start implementing absolute real-world values, you have to do it on all counts. That means you need maps that have real-world engagement ranges, not the "CQC" style tank maps that we have now (with a few custom exceptions, of course). You'll also need to take a good hard look at map balance across the board. For example, if Tigers operate at absolute real-world values, then their availability on a map would likely need to be considerably reduced to maintain some semblance of balance.

Meaning you'd have Tigers spawning, say, once every 7 min or something, whereas T-34s and Pz IVs would spawn once every minute (or whatever -- you see my point, I hope).

So, while I hope all of this gets fixed, I don't know if it's something that the community, and especially one lone modder, can do effectively. They can fix parts of it, but it's gonna take a LOT of work to get the armor system working "right."

Upvote 0
You could even "fix" the maps by mutators, but well my knowledge (that term itself is an exaggeration here) is not enough to do it an efficient way, so I won't step foward.
This would make testing them easier as the people do not have to download a new version only because the spawn time has been changed.

So basically a lot of problems you see there - because they are there - can easier be solved than you might think. Yes some will remain for sure, but I guess the overall outcome will be very pleasing.

Maybe the reason why I'm so enthusiastic about muts is that I'm playing also Infiltration and saw what mutators can do, like adding a whole new gamemode.

Upvote 0
Woh! Alot of stuff here... First off the Armored Beasts mutator is great so far (the version I can get working 2.0). #2 yes all the tank maps need to be redone with the mutator in mind because as Solo said all the tank maps were made with the standard tank combat in mind. #3 I think the eventual goal of the mutator is to fix everything to behave more like RL such as different (and adjustible depending on the tank) magnification of tank gun sights so you will be able to target at extreme ranges providing you are in a tank with that RL ability. #4 the mutator adjust the shell velocity to RL value (they move alot faster). #5 The effect of angling is heavily reduced in the mutator so no more close range ping pong just because the tank is at the "magic" angle of invincibility. #6 Just to clarify the visibility range is totally dependant on the mapper it has nothing to do with your video card settings. Mappers could make a tank map up to 3000 or 4000 meter visibilty or any max visiblity in between 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400 etc. So for those that are tired of the current "wacked out" (I'm putting it nicely) tank combat and want something resembling reality the mutator is the only solution.

Upvote 0
Redoing all the tank maps is going to be pretty long I would think? I've never used the sdk.

Also all the default maps are short range as hell. So it's going to be like hammers and eggshells. First shot=death.
Yes you can't really redo most of the stock TW tank maps because they are so short range you'd have to basically remake them entirely or add huge portions onto the existing parts. The authors of BDJ & Orel though could make a version of their maps only for use with the mutator since those are both huge maps with enough space for long range engagements (Their decision not mine of course). Or someone can make a new tank map built from the ground up exclusively for play with the mutator. That's what I would do if I had the time (which I don't). The mutator just needs some collaboration basically.

Upvote 0
Kill or penetrate? Bear in mind that not every penetrating shot is going to be a kill.

Well yes but thats more for smaller calibers the 75mm/76mm should mostly kill with 1 shot to the hull if penetration occurs
if more internal damge were added this would probably be realised in game. weird shots like to th tracks or bearly clipping the tank should not kill.

with the 88 kwk36 L56 any direct shot on a tank was usually a 1 shot kill as can be seen by various combat accounts.

Redoing all the tank maps is going to be pretty long I would think? I've never used the sdk.

The best Idea is to make a landscape in 3dsmax export it into the sdk delete orginal terrian, resize map end(yellow subtract box thingy), move minevolumes, spread out and duplicate brushes/static meshes making sure you model the map realistically.oh and mess with view distance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, but eventually the round even after deflecting will cause your tank to turn "yellow" is this a bug? .

I haven't had this happen to me personally, and I don't recall hearing about it before. Not sure what's up with that unless it's supposed to simulate spalling. It's news to me, though.

I had this with tanks sometimes.

Particularly, when you fight against a IS2. If your Panther/Tiger is red, it can happen that a shoot from the IS2 bounce off, but the tank is dead. It allso happens with the T34 (76 and 85), if you get a hit from a tiger/Panther, that richochets it tourns your tank yellow/red sometimes or even destroying it completly.

The damage for the tanks, works so far i know somewhat on a "hit-point" system. I could not say this really. But i seen in a clan fight, that a Tiger was hit by several T34/76 and he loost "health" (from 600 to 590 and so on) from shots that richochets. Dont ask me how my clan mate made this visible ... but i could read it in his message.

The tank system as whole is somewhat working very weird sometimes. I think a combination from bugs and something else ... who knows ... i hope for the next patch to fix it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0