• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Wanna know what a Russian village really looks like?

Nestor Makhno

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2006
Penryn, Cornwall
Download the game 'Smersh' then. The building design is right on the money. The training and so on is in Russian but you should be able to see enough to know that no RO map so far has even come close to showing a realistic Russian village.

So many mappers out there working on pure imagination and often going way wide of the mark (e.g. apartment blocks with corridors longer than 5 meters, villages made of brick, stone walls around farms etc. ad nauseum)

But Nestor there is a big difference in Russian villages and cities.

The countyside offers a lot of wooden architecture but when it come to
more urban cities brick apartments and brick houses are more common.

Correct me iff i'm wrong.

Meanwhile a link to some Smersh screens

http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen.asp?id=9176

Nothing controversial in what you said - nor does it contradict what i said about villages and apartment blocks. the screenies that are posted there are very lame compared to the game itself though. the graphics are very good in the game except that all player models have alabaster skin.

Upvote 0
As far as I know it was also common that nearly every house had its own sauna in rural regions. And in rural regions houses often had only one room with one big stove, the family sleeped on that stove as it could get very cold outside.

Btw. very, very impressive pictures!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Either of these look like they would make an excellent map:
p87_6744__01441_.jpg

p87_4553__00802_.jpg

Upvote 0
I don't know what Smersh is (don't have the time to try really) but yeah I wish more mappers would do some research so they can at least ATTEMPT to make a realistic authentic environment. But the truth is that most mappers are casual (there's nothing wrong with that) and you can't expect them to do a bunch of research. Hardcore authento nutties like me, you (Nestor) and others do lots of research for their maps.

Here's a picture from my extinct Brest Fortress map featuring the Church based off the real one there. I made it as accurate as I could (at that time). http://s08.picshome.com/2a3/screenshot011.png

Alot of maps have good gameplay but they're not authentic or historically accurate which is fine because gameplay is indeed very important. But the maps that have good gameplay + authentic & accurate environment are the ones that really get people "into the game" suspension of disbelief (you believe this environment is real & you are there) immersion you could say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wish more mappers would do some research so they can at least ATTEMPT to make a realistic authentic environment. But the truth is that most mappers are casual (there's nothing wrong with that) and you can't expect them to do a bunch of research. Hardcore authento nutties like me, you (Nestor) and others do lots of research for their maps.

Here's a picture from my extinct Brest Fortress map featuring the Church based off the real one there. I made it as accurate as I could (at that time). http://s08.picshome.com/2a3/screenshot011.png

Alot of maps have good gameplay but they're not authentic or historically accurate which is fine because gameplay is indeed very important. But the maps that have good gameplay + authentic & accurate environment are the ones that really get people "into the game" suspension of disbelief (you believe this environment is real & you are there) immersion you could say.

Now when will one of your good researched maps be released or did i miss something. There is research and research.

I'm with Xendance with this. Once i was involved in a mod. I bailed cause their level of Research made it a to long of a wait to get it released.
Most maps right now have some stuff which could have been there and i'm convinced most mappers did do some research.

I think this community should be happy and gratefull with the mappers who actually release less researched stuff. Iff they had to wait for "Hardcore authento nutties" to release their UBER RESEARCHED stuff they might be play these maps in a nursing home.

So let's first release own stuff and then spread your wishes for more research

Disclaimer:

I must admitt before i became a member of this community i was a normal
easy going guy without issues. It's transformed into a hardened bitter asshole
and it's only the getting worse.

So prepare yourself.

Upvote 0