• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

Some gems from the campaign: 4 Humvees (2xTOW and 2xM2) and a squad of infantry to take out around 2 T-72s and 4 BMPs with infantry support.

An entire armoured division is going to counterattack. 2 Cobras and 2 squads of Infantry are going to stop it in it's tracks.

Special Forces raids deep behind enemy lines to take out an entire village garrison, because you know, Special Forces are cool and stuff. This mission seems to pop up every now and again. Actually most Special Forces missions in the game don't make any sense.

We're going to counterattack Corazol with USMC heavy armour. But first we're going to send 2 squads of infantry in to take out some Shilkas, 'cause tanks can't do that!

"hey you remember that mission from OpFlash where the player had to look after some stuff at night and he got attacked by SpetzNas and killed em all"

"..yeah"

"let's do that in again in ArmA but have the enemy come in one at a time! and they never set any bombs! and half of them don't have guns! "

"**** YEAH!"

"and the other guards will be unable to shoot. and the player will be a SF soldier again!"

"OMG SO COOL"

end of rant

Where have all the excellent missions gone from OpFlash?

Upvote 0
Yesterday evening I joined a british co-op server and what I experienced was incredible. We fought with 4 squads of 8 to 10 players each. All players were communicating to their squadleaders and members through teamspeak.
There was:
* coordination
* communication
* lots of teamplay
* tension

I never experienced something like this with public players on such a large scale. I played for an hour, didn't fire 1 single round and still had a very memorable evening of gaming. Now I understand where this engine is capable of: huge battles on huge areas with lots of teamplay.
I was ordered to walk on point and I can assure you that's not a very desirable position ;) I was one of the first casualties, but had a very interesting game-experience nevertheless. The server was good adminned and around 35 mature players created a very realistic feeling with a very interesting scenario (lots of diversity). Attacking an area with the sun in your eyes felt like suicide sometimes (HDR kicks in then).

In short: what a game, what an engine. With the right kind of circumstances it really shines.

Monk.

Upvote 0
I got my copy last thursday before I went to berlin overweekend so I din't have time to play until monday. Since then I have been playing mp-coop with few friends of mine.

The game kicks ass like OFP did, thou there still are some things that I would have done different.

1st coop map that we played was a "zombie mod". a thrilling experience: Dense fog, zombies coming in masses from every direction and you have limited ammo, you have to escape to military base and from there to extraction point. One of coolest missions ever!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
uhm...you kind of need to add a waypoint...the freaking guy isn't going to drive without directions :rolleyes: but hey, why don't you ship me the game since it's a "waste of space"

I just love it when people think a game is crap because they don't know how to play it.
No, you SHOULD be able to just click on a spot the same way you do to move the men(space, then click). Tried that, didnt work. Game seems to require a keyboard full of macros to do anything in a reasonable amount of time if under fire. BF2 did well in that you were able to spot/ID units, but other comands should have stayed as they were in BF42.

Use the WASD keys to get the Humvee to move if you're not driving. Although that is a laugh-a-minute experience. Although backflipping cobras is pretty good too.
WASD keys did nothing. Didnt think they would, since I wasnt driving, but tried anyway. Also tried "move" command on menu, but that didnt do anything either. Find little to no intuitiveness in this game, worst Ive ever seen for intuitiveness, actually.

Upvote 0
It should just be that you can drive properly from the commander's position, it's pretty godamn retarded how the commanded turning works in the game. The pathfindings pretty shocking too, espescially it seems sitting in those stryker vehicles, my god theres this one mission im on, they drive forward jerkily like stopping every 5 meters, then theres a opfor infantry squad and 2 tanks, the vehicles stop. Putter around and after about 5 minutes drive off.

The worst part is when i loaded, they stopped jerked around for 5 minutes and then drove all the way back to the start point, i just walked to the objective. The mission didn't complete because the final waypoint didn't trigger, happened in 3 missions now.

Still it's not all bad, its pretty entertaining when it works.

Upvote 0