• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

In-game fear, using audio-psychology.

The tank sound limitation is for Network optimization. If the tank sounds are carried further away, the sounds will (have to) become network relevant a lot longer for almost everybody on the map, which means it takes up channels constantly. Basically, if a tank position is occluded from the network relevance becasue it's behind BSP, but the sound carries beyond that, the tank becomes network relevant because of the sound. At least, that's as far as i know.

More netwrok relevant actors than we have running right now = heavier on network traffic = possible lag.

Upvote 0
Well with lagg I actually meant performance drop in general, so in this case fps drop.

Well if thats the case, and it isn't server lag but instead just a drop in fps, then it should be combined with the audio options, at low audio detail the tank sounds would only go so far ( making low sound deatil ideal for those without sound cards), but at the medium or high settings the sound carries further. (Better for those with sound cards.) That way, if it was an issue that was for each players computer individually, then like the video and control options it is the users responsibility to set his game up properly if he so chooses.

As for having a larger sound radius effecting the server with lagg and slower conditions, it makes sence that this could happen, but I dont believe there isn't a way around it. If there isn't a way around it then I have no idea why I can hear Redemer missle explosions in UT2004 at the distances that I do. But I dont believe the problem is just the sound radius (though I had never considered it before), its mainly the tanks sound volume.

Upvote 0
Well if thats the case, and it isn't server lag but instead just a drop in fps, then it should be combined with the audio options, at low audio detail the tank sounds would only go so far ( making low sound deatil ideal for those without sound cards), but at the medium or high settings the sound carries further. (Better for those with sound cards.) That way, if it was an issue that was for each players computer individually, then like the video and control options it is the users responsibility to set his game up properly if he so chooses.

As for having a larger sound radius effecting the server with lagg and slower conditions, it makes sence that this could happen, but I dont believe there isn't a way around it. If there isn't a way around it then I have no idea why I can hear Redemer missle explosions in UT2004 at the distances that I do. But I dont believe the problem is just the sound radius (though I had never considered it before), its mainly the tanks sound volume.

No you are wrong :p The sounds are fine. Like I explained, it's the network relevance that is the determining factor. And you hear the redeemer sound because there is usually only 1 in action. That's 1 channel relevant to 32 player = 32 channels. Not 16 sounds x 32 players, or 32 x 32... If you look at the preffered optimal max channel count which is about 200, you can easily see what happens if 16 tanks X 32 players get relevant.

Upvote 0
Oh sorry, my fault. :eek:

But I really couldn't find any specific topic about infrasound using the search function.

Anyway, 17.2Hz, try it.

It really freaked me out, there even was somekind of program on the Discovery channel which made me freak out.
I couldn't understand why, but they mentioned after the program that they used both ultrasonic and infrasound.

Probably it was also the same reason why my cat ran away like hell when I clicked the TV-power button. :D

But how, how do I produce that sound, because I want to produce these sub-audible noises just to see how I feel.

Upvote 0
The sounds are fine.

When we stop having topics that discuss RO's audio, and we no longer have players complaining that the tanks can sneak up on them because the engine and track sounds arn't loud enough, THEN I'll believe the sounds are fine. Untill then, somthing is wrong, either the range or volume or both, somthing needs to be fixed.

Like I explained, it's the network relevance that is the determining factor. And you hear the redeemer sound because there is usually only 1 in action. That's 1 channel relevant to 32 player = 32 channels. Not 16 sounds x 32 players, or 32 x 32... If you look at the preffered optimal max channel count which is about 200, you can easily see what happens if 16 tanks X 32 players get relevant.

No you are wrong :p

Now this confused me a little, how can I be wrong when I basically said that I understand how that is a problem. I wasn't disagreeing with you, in fact your totally correct. All I said is that I dont see any reason that there isn't some way to get around that problem and that I think it's more volume than range. Basically all I said was "I understand" and then gave two opinions, I dont exactly see how I can be wrong on an opinion.

But if you were talking about my first paragraph, I wasn't stating a fact or anything, I was only giving a suggestion for the possibility that SchutzeSepp's suggestion was correct, but I didn't say I actually thought it was correct or not, I only gave a suggestion.

Now I will admit that choosing the Redeemer wasn't the bast choice for my example, because you are right, there is usually only one going off at a time. But the point still stands, as there are pleanty of games that let the player hear multiple sounds over a good distance. The way I see it, if it can be done in other programs, I'm sure you guys could find some form of solution or compromise eventually. But even then I dont totally believe the issue is the range of the sound, to me it seems more of a volume issue.

And lastly, I realized I never gave an opinion on the origional topic of this thread, I really think adding those "fear" sounds would be really cool, and I support the idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From Wikipedia:

"The participants were not aware of which pieces included the infrasound. Many participants (22%) reported feelings of anxiety, uneasiness, extreme sorrow, nervous feelings of revulsion or fear and chills down the spine which correlated with the infrasonic events."

I'm not sure I'd want to feel those things while playing a video game for fun... o_O

Upvote 0
No you are wrong :p The sounds are fine. Like I explained, it's the network relevance that is the determining factor. And you hear the redeemer sound because there is usually only 1 in action. That's 1 channel relevant to 32 player = 32 channels. Not 16 sounds x 32 players, or 32 x 32... If you look at the preffered optimal max channel count which is about 200, you can easily see what happens if 16 tanks X 32 players get relevant.

Would it be difficult to make a server side option to extend the range of the sound (even if only to test)? Perhaps increase the sound range if LAN server is enabled?

Upvote 0
From Wikipedia:

"The participants were not aware of which pieces included the infrasound. Many participants (22%) reported feelings of anxiety, uneasiness, extreme sorrow, nervous feelings of revulsion or fear and chills down the spine which correlated with the infrasonic events."

I'm not sure I'd want to feel those things while playing a video game for fun... o_O

You know. . . thats an excelent point, even though it would be cool to have a real fear of the tanks, heavy machine guns and other parts of RO. . . would we REALLY want that in the end?

Now that I think about it a little more, I think the answer would be a no. . . but I'd still like to try it out, maybe as a mutator perhaps?

Would it be difficult to make a server side option to extend the range of the sound (even if only to test)? Perhaps increase the sound range if LAN server is enabled?

Thats an excelent idea Scikar, but I think it would probably be better if it was a setting for a players own computer instead of a server setting, so you dont have to worry about if your PC is compatable with a server beyond your ping conditions.

One confusion that I do have though (And I hope a Dev can clarify for me.) if increasing the range at which an tank (or other sound) can be heard would cause server lag, especially so with multiple instances taking up more channels. . . why would this be effecting the server itself and not just the individuals computer?

To me it doesn't make sence that the server would be sending audio data like that, I was allways under the impression that it only sent you the necessary data and your own copy of the game filled in the gaps under its own power. (seperate from the server) Basically what I mean is why would the server be sending you audio data when it can just send you basic locational and actor properties while your own game allready knows what sounds go where?

Upvote 0
The tank sound limitation is for Network optimization. If the tank sounds are carried further away, the sounds will (have to) become network relevant a lot longer for almost everybody on the map, which means it takes up channels constantly. Basically, if a tank position is occluded from the network relevance becasue it's behind BSP, but the sound carries beyond that, the tank becomes network relevant because of the sound. At least, that's as far as i know.

More netwrok relevant actors than we have running right now = heavier on network traffic = possible lag.
How about just make the volume louder but have the exact same cutoff range? So the sound cutoff transition would be more abrupt BUT at least the tanks would be alot louder and not ninja tanks. It's possible to make the tank sounds more louder than they currently are through various audio editing techniques like hard limiting combined with heavy compression. Not ideal but it would work.

Upvote 0
When a tree falls in a forest and there's no living thing around for hundreds of miles, does it make a sound?

(i actually figured out the answer for this: No, it will cause vibrations but will not move on to be sound as sound has to be percieved.)

hehe you just solved a Zen Koan..
That means you have to be enlightened and a Buddha :)
Then again.. when you arrive that area.. the tree lies down on the ground... So then it has fallen...
Another thing. .for a tree to exist, it needs non-tree elements.. earth, sun, minerals, and water.. and theese elements are everywhere.. at the same time.. hehe.. what issit that falls? A tree? or an idea of a tree :D

But thats another ballgame altogehter... hehe or issit?

Well.. as the Devs says it cant be implemented...
In the meanwhile.. I wait for the future, while I enjoy the present RO.
If thats possible...

Cheers

Upvote 0