• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best War for UE3 Game?

Best War for UE3 Game?

• Russian Civil War

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Spanish Civil War

Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Eastern Front (RO 2)

Votes: 122 55.7%
  • Chinese Civil War

• Korean War

Votes: 33 15.1%
  • Algerian War of Independence

• Arab-Israeli conflict

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • Iran-Iraq War

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Soviet war in Afghanistan

Votes: 23 10.5%

• Total voters
The Soviet War in Afganistan intrigues me. Something modern would be nice (preferably not involving Americans unless its realism Soviet Union vs. America and its allies). It would also be fun to play a game shooting with muskets. I can already see realism units such as mine self lining up in a formations, firing at once etc. or also guerilla warfare would be fun in this setting. Unfortunately any game that takes place in Finland or during the Spanish Civil War just isn't going to attract a player base that would even fill a gymnasium.

Upvote 0
I too would like to see some Korean War.... to my knowledge the only thing ever done about the Korean war was M*A*S*H*

The Korean War is the Forgotten war for a reason... its never mentioned... it always seems to be left out, yet it was still a horrible conflict.... just after WW II, with the same weapons, yet with some newer technology...

I also would want to know how you would do a WW I game.... its all trench warfare, with some really ****ty tanks, and MGs massively mowing down troops...

So either stick with a WW II game in a different area... or go with the Korean war....:D

Upvote 0
What, and world war 2 wasn't?
As for the list, i think the eastern front is the only one with enough scope for a commercial game.

World War One turned into pretty much, long, continuous and static fronts, where the attrition he mentioned was the armed forces facing each other. The vast majority of casualties in WW1 were soldiers. The civilian population was not even remotely as at risk, nor was the industrial capacity as they were in WW2.

In World War 2, you had a moving front, where both sides destroyed the industrial capacity whenever they could of the other side and captured territory. Two very different types of warfare. The vast majority of casualites in WW2 were civilian. WW2 was a war of manouvres, strategy, envelopment and above all MOBILITY.

Any historically accurate game based on WW1 would probably end up being kind of dull.

Upvote 0
anything WW2, exept pacific, africa or early war.

i said this 100 times, but they are not making just another game. they will be making a better game! if the only difference with RO ost would be better graphics and a different war. then it would be a cheap and easy move.

if on the other hand they make an even better ww2 game, including all the things they couldn't include in ROost. then THAT would be the best follower for ost.!

Upvote 0
In WW2 both sides attempted to win by incapacitating their enemy's decision-making through shock and disruption. The Germans made use of Blitzkreig and the Soviets of Deep Operations. Look at the invasion of France where the Wehrmacht encountered numerically and technically superior forces, yet won! The invasion of Holland, Operation Barbarossa and the Toropets-Kholm Operation are all classic examples of maneuver warfare. The western front of WWI is just the opposite.

Correct, but if you think of it that's really only true for the first half of WW2, 1939-41. Towards the end of the war, Blitzkrieg lost it's edge, especially on the eastern front. Very simplified, the Sovjet Union was simply too big for Blitzkrieg tactics to work. Even with the extreme success of the tactic in the beginning of Operation Barbarossa, the Sovjets simply moved their industry backwards into Russian Asia, and kept sending in recruits in millions. At the same time, the German supply lines were running very long and thin, their momentum slowed and the war turned into a war of attrition, much like WWI.

Upvote 0
Battles in WWI came down to individual actions as much as any other war. Trenches didnt clear themsleves you know. By 1918 what can be seen as an early form of blitzkreig was taking place on the western front, with huge gains made by both sides. The huge loses inflicted by both sides is due to the intensity of fighting, not the crude nature of tactics.

Yeah but how many people use tactics in a game anyway? Well lets not include RO and other tactical games into the list.................maby people who run and gun with the PPSH tho :rolleyes:

Anyway id like to see a FPS game with muskets where you shoot out the first load and then charge into action. :D

Upvote 0