• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

FPS decrease with a 8800 GTS ?!!

Hi all !!! sorry for my bad english.:rolleyes:

I bought a 8800 GTS two weeks ago, all the games run very well (NFS Carbon, R6 Vegas, BF2...) and i get 8156 pts on 3dmark 2006.
But on RO, when i come into a building: the church ( russian side) on Kaukasus or buildings on Danzig, the framerate falls down and i'm lagging. When i play outdoor, i get a really good framerate ( with vsync enable 75fps).

I tried to play on low settings but i've got the same problems.
I get the last nvidia driver 97.92 for Windows XP, i've deleted System Folder in Valve directory and downloaded a new with Steam...

So what's the matter with RO and my new 8800 GTS ?

I ask you some help please :(

My spec :

AMD Opteron 165 (2.54 Ghz = 279X9 @1.5v) + Zalman 9500 Led

Asus A8N SLI PREMIUM (Bios 1011-006)

Leadtek Geforce 8800 GTS (ForceWare 97.72)

2048 MB RAM (2*1024mb GSkill PC 4000 HZ @ 229 mhz @ 5/3/4/2.5 1T)

Western Digital Raptor 74.6 Go

CREATIVE AUDIGY 2 ZS

ENERMAX LIBERTY 620 watts

LCD BENQ 17'' FP71GX 4 ms

Last edited:
You sure its low FPS or does the game stutter/jerk like its accessing the hard drive? Theres a known bug with the 8800GTS and the RO engine (all ut2004 games get it atm). Hopefully a driver update will fix that soon. A workaround that works for me and someone else I mentioned it to is to go in options and set "World Detail" down to low but leave everything else maxed. This seems to cut down on the jerkiness. I also have Threaded Optimisation to Off in the Nvidea control panel..seems to help a bit.

If it is low FPS then it could be that your CPU is bottlenecking you.

Upvote 0
Hi All

I have exactly the same problem as you both and im also using an 8800 GTS.

Yea Melipone it is almost like the PC is accessing the HDD at random yet regular intervals and this is causing choppy gameplay at times.

Peeving me right off, I hope Nvidia or developers release a fix soon.
Although its playable it hardly helps my sanity after purchasing an 8800GTS.

I will try lowering the detail as you have said. :mad:

Upvote 0
8800 GTS isn't a cheap graphic card so RO must run very well on it. Before, i had a 7800 GT with the same specs and there was no problem. I don't think i'm CPU limited.
My disk isn't swapping at all but it seems like a swap problem.
A swap problem with a Raptor disk and 2 gigs of Ram !!!!! i'm laughing :mad:

Thank you for your answers. Now, i know that i'm not alone to worry about this compatibility issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
8800 GTS isn't a cheap graphic card so RO must run very well on it. Before, i had a 7800 GT with the same specs and there was no problem. I don't think i'm CPU limited.
My disk isn't swapping at all but it seems like a swap problem.
A swap problem with a Raptor disk and 2 gigs of Ram !!!!! i'm laughing :mad:

Thank you for your answers. Now, i know that i'm not alone to worry about this compatibility issue.

I would think the graphics card is bottlenecking at the cpu you would struggle to get the most out of that card unless you had the latest bestest core 2 duo cpu, its like putting a V8 engine in a Lada you wont get the power thru the wheels :)

Upvote 0
I used to run red orchestra on a Pentium 4 Prescott, with a 9800 Pro and 1GB Ram at 1024 x 768 with almost all of the same visual settings set exactly the same as what I run now and it ran better.

I now have an X2 3800, 2GB Corsair TWINX Ram and 8800 GTS running at 1280 x 1025 and im getting worse performance than the previous system. I have turned all details down to medium and dropped the rez to 1024x768 and still get the same stuttering gameplay.

Radix, what Video card are you using?

There is no complex AI or even a really complex physics engine in this game, I fail to see how a faster CPU than say my X2 3800 will fix my problem?

Bearing in mind I have mates with AMD XP's that dont have the same problems as other guys in this thread, and their video settings are not that far off.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone & m8's

Yes i too have the same shuttering,but only inside houses and tranches bunkers, bassicly everything indoors.

I meet Meloponny here or was it Yellowmello? Cant remember but they are great m8's on the servers when we meet.. and as like Melo says in this thread... pull down world Details to low and all else up. Works alot better would say around 50% better or so.. maybe also deppends on yer other hardware parts too....

Am greatfull that a thread poped up about the 8800GTS because sometimes i was going nutts and saying... Ohh well it's time to write that damn thread ups in support hehe... But everytime a new map loaded up or a new round... hade to keep on fighting lol. Then afterwards i was to tired to write anything lol.

Yoshiro am very glad u taking a look into this with yer friends at TW.
Because for me and others it's importent that the game is playable on every map, outside or inside should not be a matter.

Hope you m8's can fix it or perhaps a Nvidia driver will? I dunno.. Wiating with patience and i know you can fix or go around any problems that appers out there :)

PS. i saw another thread about Dolhp dive still exist if adding things? I hope you make a fix to that thing too so it wont spreed like a virus to us all, It's a pleuge am telling ya :)

Take care everyone and sorry for a long post and some off topics.

BR A N.

Upvote 0
I have an 8800GTS, running XP, and the only jerkiness I've noticed is on Danzig. Every other map seems to run great, but that one in particular shakes around like it's on crack, even though my framerate indicates about 85fps. Is it accessing the HDD? I don't know, I've got a Raptor so things should be relatively quick.

Yeah Danzig seems to be the worst for me, Kaukasus (inside russian spawn) and Rakowice (inside the hanger) are also pretty bad with World Detail on High

Upvote 0
9800pro

9800pro

I used to run red orchestra on a Pentium 4 Prescott, with a 9800 Pro and 1GB Ram at 1024 x 768 with almost all of the same visual settings set exactly the same as what I run now and it ran better.

I now have an X2 3800, 2GB Corsair TWINX Ram and 8800 GTS running at 1280 x 1025 and im getting worse performance than the previous system. I have turned all details down to medium and dropped the rez to 1024x768 and still get the same stuttering gameplay.
I was interested to see that you had no probs with a 9800 pro. I could not get HL2 or RO to run with mine. Swapped it for a spare 256mb 9600 and no probs at all. As you've been there do you have any ideas what was happening.

Upvote 0