• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Panzerfausts are killing the tank maps

It's not the effectivness of PF's thats the problem it's that a guy gets 3 of them, if you miss with the first one you just whip out the second one straight away and aim up or down a little and boom dead tank, thats the only problem

Yes that's it exactly, and if an AT soldier dies the soldier following picks up 3 fausts, the original respawns and we now have 6 of 'em on the field.

If you hear a faust being fired and it hasn't immediately trashed your tank you know that the second or even the third most certainly will, so unless you have him in the MG's sights, there is little alternative but to immediately bail out of your tank as soon as the first one is fired (even though your tank may be completely undamaged) and charge at the AT soldat firing your pistol like a lunatic. You'll see this all the time, hardly realistic but having 3 fausts means the AT soldier can use the first faust as a sighting shot.

The other problem whcih makes it so difficult to stop ninja fausters as how ineffective the HE shells are, nothing less than a full, direct hit is required to kill or even disarm an infantryman.

Upvote 0
Yes that's it exactly, and if an AT soldier dies the soldier following picks up 3 fausts, the original respawns and we now have 6 of 'em on the field.
That's as it should be.;)

If you hear a faust being fired and it hasn't immediately trashed your tank you know that the second or even the third most certainly will, so unless you have him in the MG's sights, there is little alternative but to immediately bail out of your tank as soon as the first one is fired (even though your tank may be completely undamaged) and charge at the AT soldat firing your pistol like a lunatic. You'll see this all the time, hardly realistic but having 3 fausts means the AT soldier can use the first faust as a sighting shot.
Yep... great strategy... hear a faust and RUN!!!!!! What a concept.:eek:

The other problem whcih makes it so difficult to stop ninja fausters as how ineffective the HE shells are, nothing less than a full, direct hit is required to kill or even disarm an infantryman.

Don't put down the HE shells until you've had more time using them. They work. In fact, give yourself some time before you start hollering for "limit this and change that". You'll soon be surprised at how well things seem to work in RO. :)

Upvote 0
I think the big problem is that people either don't know HOW to use the tanks in such situations, or go in with no infantry support (which is pretty much not knowing how to use the tank).

Also, just because a map has tanks doesn't make it a tank map. I'd classify, for example, Koenigsplatz as an infantry map that happens to have a few tanks in it.

In most situations where you have tanks and infantry (and halftracks and such), tanks should NOT be LEADING the charge, but rather providing long range fire support.

Load your tank with HE shells, sit back, and hit large concentrations of enemy infantry. Or use it as a mobile MG nest and provide suppressive fire from a distance -- preferably out of panzerfaust range.

When tanks move in to try to take a position on any map other than, say, Orel or BDJ, they're taking a BIG risk. On virtually any map I can think of with tanks and infantry, the cap zones are well within range of the faust. On earlier war maps, getting in close also means you're vulnerable to the PTRD.

Basically, the tank on maps like this should be used out of infantry range, and to provide cover for the infantry to advance and capture the position themselves. There's a reason infantry is the "Queen of Battle".

Upvote 0
That's as it should be.;)

Don't put down the HE shells until you've had more time using them. They work. In fact, give yourself some time before you start hollering for "limit this and change that". You'll soon be surprised at how well things seem to work in RO. :)

Hmmm, well I've been playing RO since the very earliest days of the MOD so I thought I might have given it a bit of time. Posting a patronising reply doesn't add anything to, what had been till your intervention, an interesting and informative thread

Upvote 0
Hmmm, well I've been playing RO since the very earliest days of the MOD so I thought I might have given it a bit of time. Posting a patronising reply doesn't add anything to, what had been till your intervention, an interesting and informative thread

I agree with mike the HE shells work great and I have no problem killing infantry with them. When your switching ammo you need to fire off teh round thats already loaded before it will switch. also when shooting the HE rounds you want to aim at the infantrys feet or a wall near them. Your trying to create a splash effect on them. If it lands behide them its no good you aim ahead or them at the round and you should be able to take them out.

Upvote 0

OK, I see with all eleven of your posts... you have been quite active here too. I'm sorry if you feel you have been patronized. I was trying to say something with a tad of humor. Obviously, I failed. In any case, I have yet to experience the dire situation you've described at the hands of someone on foot using panzerfausts.

Whether you've been playing three weeks or three years means nothing if you haven't developed the skills to counter a panzerfaust attack while you are in a tank. Additionally, leaping from the tank and running away.. leaves a great deal to be desired by your team mates.

Upvote 0
I remember from the Mod when the first fausts came out that they were very hard to use(mutch harder than now atleast) the arc was mutch bigger and I couldnt change the range of it. But now the pzf is mutch mutch simpler and ninjas even run and gun with it not even bothering to aim. In the mod I had to sneak close to the tank, aim and fire (hoping that I will hit)

Upvote 0
ability to carry 3 panzerfausts ****. be it either AT soldier or rifleman,u carry 3 and u fire 3 of them in 3 seconds not realistic not fun.

But then neither is the instant teleport out of the tank, fun or realistic. If you put a large weapon switch delay, then you'll get nothing but instant bails and the tank crew charging the AT guy, get enough of that now along with the kill steal (bail and ~ suicide instead of giving the guy a kill). Pfaust switch might not be that long anyway as it's a disposable weapon so you just drop the old pfaust and get another, not like having to sling a weapon you're switching away from.

What would be best is realistic times for both and then you'd get what you expect, the AT guy franticly getting another pfaust out and the tanker franticly putting it in reverse ;).

But I think some of the complaints with tanks/inf is due to the ratio of tanks/inf on tank maps. Ones like Arad, Barasomethingorother (one with the bridge and peninsula) and the one with hill, farm, town, are mostly tanks with little inf so it can be hard to get inf support, thus clown car crap and pfaust might become a pain. PariserPlatz? (something like that, these names always kill me) where you have tons of inf, and one Pather VS one IS2? you get few pfaust kills due to the support as there's plenty of inf. So the easy solution there would be keep the mechanics the same, just make more pure tanker maps (eg. blackday in July) for the tanker fans.

T.

Upvote 0
It's been said before, but it's your fault if you get killed by a panzerfaust. A perfect example would be Konigsplatz. Soviet tankers seem to be idiots on that map. They just rush up at you and try to get as close as possible to the enemy. It's like asking to die.

Panzerfausts have an 80m range.
Tanks have a 3km range.

I think you're the problem.

Upvote 0
For a while now the increasing use of Panzerfasts on certain maps has been producing one sided game play. The Panzerfaust is so overwhelmingly powerful and available in such large numbers to axis forces on some maps that soviet tanks are rendered virtually worthless in any area where they may have contact with axis soldiers, surviving long enough to have tank v tank battles on wide open terrain only. Single soldiers armed with Panzerfausts then become the key weapon to win certain maps, with soviet tanks being shot up like fish in a barrel. At least restrict the number of 'Fausts per AT soldier or respawn times before it just becomes a farce for anyone in a soviet tank.
Great, another "this weapon kills me so much so it should be nerfed/limited" thread.

It's you fault for wandering into infantry infested areas.

With tanks on maps with the Panzerfaust it is best to stay atleast 200 meters away. Certain players (me for one) are capable of hitting tanks well past 100 meters.

Upvote 0
Here's a startling concept for you: Tankers should stay behind the infantry line, and let them provide cover from fausters.

Another novel concept: Learn to use the HE rounds to keep enemy infantry thinned out.

Third novel concept: Play BOTH sides occasionally and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the weapons you moan about, then apply that knowledge in how to overcome them.

Be glad the numbers of fausts on the map are as low as they are. Late war some German units had 2-3 PER SOLDIER available, not just the very few there are in the game.

Upvote 0