• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Leningrad [Beta 5]

This isn't a solution either because the tankers would just run around in circles at the spawn complaining that their tank won't respawn for 5 minutes. I think it's much easier for people to grasp that tanks are limited per objective and do not respawn than having an extended respawn timer on them.

This is partially true: due to your reminder, for those who want to understand, they can more easily grasp the idea behind the system. So kudo's to that.

But the end result is the simular.

No tank for some time - in this case depending on your teams' progress. That progress is unpredictable and varies from objective to objective and round to round, influenced by many many (human) variables. Even worse, when your team ****s balls they might never progress! And you won't get a new tank for ages. I can understand that for a 'competetive version' for clans and ladders, those are tough guys. But I don't understand that design choice for public play.

Btw: In both cases we can expect the tanker to run towards the objectives on foot, that's what you expect them to do anyway, so you might expect that for the 5 minute repawn as well. I find both solutions un satisfying ;)

PS: see previous post on other page for the first response :)

Upvote 0
I honestly don't think the limited respawn of the tanks is bad. I really don't. The Germans are given limited resources in this map, and if they squander it, they'll lose pretty much guaranteed. The Russians, even if they have no tanks to fall back on, still have an AT class to combat the tanks if need be, and believe me, I've been axed by that class in this map more times than I have been by tanks.

It may not be good for "flow", but I do think it's solid for gameplay. It requires the tankers to make very calculated moves, and if they decide to go blunder what they have, you pay for it. I've yelled at tankers many times while playing this map not to be blundering morons.

Upvote 0
If you give all Tank Commanders and Tank Crewmen SMGs or Rifles the unrespawning tanks will not be such a problem as this class will than have a new role without a tank. They will essentially than become Assault Troopers or Riflemen until they get a new tank. Doing this makes tankers more useful on foot and should leviate Sasquatch's gameplay issues of feeling like you are useless without a tank.

As is now having only a pistol as a tanker makes you feel useless against a SMG in CQB and against a Rifle at long range. As a tanker you feel like you are at a clear disadvantage in this regard and naked without your tank or another weapon to take place of your tank. I myself like how the tanks do not respawn but the tankers need a new role when they are without a tank.

Here is how I would do it:

Tank Commander(Allies/Axis) = SMG

Tank Crewmen(Allies/Axis) = Rifle

Last edited:
Upvote 0
..I honestly don't think the limited respawn of the tanks is bad. I really don't. The Germans are given limited resources in this map, and if they squander it, they'll lose pretty much guaranteed... It requires the tankers to make very calculated moves, and if they decide to go blunder what they have, you pay for it. I've yelled at tankers many times while playing this map not to be blundering morons.

... Sorry, I don't see the logic between you thinking it's not bad and you cussing out blundering morons many times. You illustrate my point perfectly well. :D

Upvote 0
As is now having only a pistol as a tanker makes you feel useless against a SMG in CQB and against a Rifle at long range. As a tanker you feel like you are at a clear disadvantage in this regard and naked without your tank or another weapon to take place of your tank. I myself like how the tanks do not respawn but the tankers need a new role when they are without a tank.

Here is how I would do it:

Tank Commander(Allies/Axis) = SMG

Tank Crewmen(Allies/Axis) = Rifle

Seriously, tankers didn't bring rifles in their tanks. They are simply too big. I saw that once done by a mapper and it made me vomit almost lol. Not a very satisfyling solution. The best policy is not to strip them from their class weapon (the tank) in the first place :) This is not about gamers making the best out of a flawed design option, it's about proper design :)

Upvote 0
Tankers' weapons

Tankers' weapons

I find that there is absolutely no shortage of dropped weapons lying around all over the place.
Not sure about German or Russian tankers, but US WWII tankers carried M3 "grease guns" - short range SMGs.
According to (once again) my ubiquitous WWII-veteran great uncle, the M3 was basically useless, but, as he put it, there was never a shortage of dead infantrymens' weapons laying nearby.

Upvote 0
Not sure about German or Russian tankers, but US WWII tankers carried M3 "grease guns" - short range SMGs.
According to (once again) my ubiquitous WWII-veteran great uncle, the M3 was basically useless, but, as he put it, there was never a shortage of dead infantrymens' weapons laying nearby.

Tragically, That is very true. The reason many weapons were not picked up are many but the biggest factor was the added weight and/or size.

Upvote 0
Since the thread got bumped I feel like I should give you all an update on the map. :cool:

Beta 6 is in the works right now and will probably be released in a few weeks. If no new problems spring up the map will be finalized within a week or less. Here's the changelog so far;

Beta 5-6
- Added grenades to Sniper, Semi-Auto, MG, and Sapper classes for both teams.
- Russian Sapper now has an SMG instead of a rifle.
- Combined the last few groups of static meshes to increase performance.
- Tweaked bot pathing in a few areas.
- Changed a few shellholes so tanks have an easier time getting out of them.
- Added an Ammo Ressuply Point just outside the Anti-Tank Position in the back of a truck.
- Extended the capzones for the Anti-Tank Position and the Searchlight Building to include the ground floors.
- Tweaked the terrain in several places.
- Removed some select static meshes to improve performance.
- Added 2 more PlayerStarts to the initial spawns due to the new 44-player limit. (18-20)
- Tweaked a few cull distances.
- Changed VehicleBotRoleBalance from 0.7 to 0.1 so bots choose tanker classes last instead of first.
- Replaced some static meshes with models that are better looking or had fewer polys.
- Fixed a blocking volume beside the Searchlight Building.
- Added sewer access by the first German spawn.
- Increased Russian reinforcements by 30. (200-230)
- Rotated the initial Russian PlayerStarts more to the South.
- Added more cover to both sides of the bridge.
- Added another spawn exit on the Allied side of the bridge.
- Moved the last 2 Allied tanks and tank spawns into a building to give them more cover.
- Changed a few small things on the overhead map image.
- Fixed a few Location Volumes that weren't displaying correctly and added some new ones.

I am also in the process of completely redoing the outdoor lighting of the map and doing a lot of tests to raise the performance. If anyone has noticed other bugs or wants anything changed now is the time to bring it up!

After Leningrad is finished I'll be working on a Carpathian Crosses map. I also have a map called Ardon that is nearing the Beta 1 stage so expect a preview of that in a little while. :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that after I release the final version for Leningrad I plan on doing an infantry only version of the map since not everyone likes the tanks. This version will probably have a single Beta version and then be released as final since there really isn't a lot to change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My 2 cents on the limited tanks

- The limited tank also makes the PTRD class quite boring to play. You have only a few targets to worry about and you are left waiting for the next objective to be capped so new enemy tanks appear. Also, the enemy tanks often die to the russian tank before you can even get yourself in a good firing position.

You spend most of the time fighting in close quarter with your pistol anyway, and if you drop the PTRD for a smg, you can't attack the next wave of tank unless you suicide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Weapons for tankers

Weapons for tankers

Picking up drop weapons on this map is very risky business. Dropped weapons only stay there for a very short time and then disappear. Considering there are mgs and snipers on this map, I wouldn't try running for dropped weapons as that is the spot someone just got nailed. Not an effective solution to me.

I know that carrying anything more than a pistol is a stretch for tankers in WW2, but it is done on a few maps. The first tank map I played I saw a German tanker jump out of his tank, pick up some panserfausts, and jumped back into the tank. This was on one of those less well-knowned maps called Arad. Should a tanker be able to do that? Is it proper design? I'm not sure but it does add to the gameplay and it does work. Obviously this wasn't done during the war as to the size, weight, and explosive content. I don't even think they could get a pf into a tank (safely) to begin with, less likely they could ride with one (safely). Other popular maps have added satchels and smgs to the tank position. I guess its up to the mapper how they want to do it and what works for the map.

Upvote 0
Ok time for a little update on the map! As of last week the map has been finalized for the Steam release and is now locked down. In a few months(?) time I will probably have the chance to come back and fix any remaining problems so feel free to keep suggesting changes, just don't ask me to do anything too drastic. ;)

Here's the Beta5 - Final ChangeLog so you have an idea of what has changed and what to expect when you get the map through Steam.

--------------------

Beta 5-Final

- Added grenades to Sniper, Semi-Auto, MG, and Sapper classes for both teams.
- Russian Sapper now has an SMG instead of a rifle.
- Combined the last few groups of static meshes to increase performance.
- Tweaked bot pathing in a few areas.
- Modified a few shellholes so tanks have an easier time getting out of them.
- Added an Ammo Ressuply Point just outside the Anti-Tank Position in the back of a truck.
- Extended the capzones for the Anti-Tank Position and the Searchlight Building to include the ground floors.
- Tweaked the terrain in several places.
- Removed some select static meshes/BSP brushes to improve performance.
- Added 14 more PlayerStarts to the initial spawns due to the new 64-player limit. (18-32)
- Added 6 more Playerstarts to all spawn areas because of the new 64-player limit. (18-24)
- Tweaked numerous cull distances and some collision properties.
- Replaced some static meshes with models that are better looking and/or had fewer polys.
- Fixed a blocking volume beside the Searchlight Building.
- Added sewer access by the first German spawn.
- Increased Russian reinforcements by 30. (200-230)
- Rotated the initial Russian PlayerStarts more to the South.
- Added more cover to the Anichkov Bridge area.
- Added another spawn exit on the Allied side of the bridge.
- Moved the last 2 Allied tanks and tank spawns into a building to give them more cover.
- Changed a few small things on the overhead map image.
- Fixed a few Location Volumes that weren't displaying correctly and added some new ones.
- Changed the Spawn Protection Minefield Volume kill time from 12 to 6 seconds.
- Fixed a few potential exploit spots.
- Completely redid the outdoor lighting with the help of TWI's SasQatch.
- Touched up the indoor lighting in a few places.
- Added more posters to the Anti-Tank Position and the Searchlight Building to help players orient themselves better.
- Fixed some smoothing group problems for some of the building window frames.
- Moved things around and created a new room at the initial German spawn to accommodate the 14 new PlayerStarts.
- Added another sewer exit on the German side of the bridge.
- Fixed collision on the rubble pile staticmesh so dead bodies no longer fall through it.
- Added Spectator Cams throughout the map. (9)
- Replaced Soviet brown camo (riflemen/semi-auto) with white camo.
- Reduced German reinforcements by 50. (340-290)
- Changed tanks to have unlimited spawns and deleted the text and in-game message that told people they were limited.
- Added a 20 second delay before each destroyed tank respawns.
- Removed all Snow_Chair staticmeshes from the map. (4)
- Added a truck staticmesh near the AT Position to help the German advance on OBJ 1.
- Fixed a door that was imbedded into a wall in one of the AntiTank Position rooms.
- Moved a few staticmeshes around a shellhole in the middle of the street for better collision/optimization.
- Fixed Hall of Mirrors error on the main street. (no really, this time it's actually gone!)
- Moved the first Allied Tanker spawn (all related actors) a few meters back to give them more cover.
- Fixed a few street signs that were partially imbedded into the street lamps.
- Tweaked the collision and cull distances on some staticmeshes.
- Extended the Command Bunker capzone to include two more rooms above the original capzone area.

--------------------

I also need to catch up on answering some of your replies. :eek:

Any screens of your new map?

If you're good and behave yourself maybe there will we be some at the bottom of the page.

My 2 cents on the limited tanks

- The limited tank also makes the PTRD class quite boring to play. You have only a few targets to worry about and you are left waiting for the next objective to be capped so new enemy tanks appear. Also, the enemy tanks often die to the russian tank before you can even get yourself in a good firing position.

You spend most of the time fighting in close quarter with your pistol anyway, and if you drop the PTRD for a smg, you can't attack the next wave of tank unless you suicide.

Although I still like the idea of limited tanks I've come to realize that this causes some problems in the map, like you and others have mentioned. Maybe one day we will have a system that works, and I'm glad I tried it but for now they've been changed to unlimited spawns and a 20 second spawn timer on each vehicle. This should make the map accessable to a greater number of players.

I would like to suggest possibly another MG on the russian side, it seems like the MG makes or breaks the last defense line, and it seems like 1 more couldn't hurt. Once the germans roll on the line with tanks its pretty much over anyways.

The last objective has changed quite a bit now with more cover for both sides, and under/around the bridge itself. This should even that objective out as in Beta 5 a well placed MG could cover a lot of open area. I don't think with the changes there's a need for another Russian MG, especially now that the KV1 has unlimited spawns.

Picking up drop weapons on this map is very risky business. Dropped weapons only stay there for a very short time and then disappear. Considering there are mgs and snipers on this map, I wouldn't try running for dropped weapons as that is the spot someone just got nailed. Not an effective solution to me.

I know that carrying anything more than a pistol is a stretch for tankers in WW2, but it is done on a few maps. The first tank map I played I saw a German tanker jump out of his tank, pick up some panserfausts, and jumped back into the tank. This was on one of those less well-knowned maps called Arad. Should a tanker be able to do that? Is it proper design? I'm not sure but it does add to the gameplay and it does work. Obviously this wasn't done during the war as to the size, weight, and explosive content. I don't even think they could get a pf into a tank (safely) to begin with, less likely they could ride with one (safely). Other popular maps have added satchels and smgs to the tank position. I guess its up to the mapper how they want to do it and what works for the map.

This was another reason to switch to unlimited tanks. I couldn't give SMGs to all the tankers because that would give the Germans an even greater advantage in the buildings and I thought pistols would be enough for the ranges in the map. I'm happy with the map now even though I had to make a few compromises along the way. Now I finally have time to work on my next project and get a job. :D

I assume you've been good smokeythebear so here's what I've been working on lately. It's a Combined Arms (although slightly tank heavy) map set in the Caucasus Mountains August 30th, 1942. I'll get around to posting a full description of the map and it's own thread but for now these WIP screenshots will have to do. :cool:

Upvote 0
That looks so nice! Especially the mountains (first time that they look good in RO). For CC I guess.

Actually this is my own project that I started during a slowdown on Leningrad a few months back. With the mapping contest and upcoming Steam release I haven't had much time to work on it. If it was for CC I doubt you would be seeing it presented in such an unprofessional manner. ;)

Upvote 0