• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need info on US Bars and Clubs rules (being over/under 21 etc)

Norbeone

May 31, 2006
Ireland
Hi,

I'm going to Boston and New York this summer with 2 friends which will be great i'm sure. Only problem is, they're both over 21, but i'm only 20.

I'd like to know exactly that will mean when we want to go out to bars. Obviously, I know the drinking age is 21 everywhere in the US, but:

- Do most/all bars allow under 21's in before a certain time, and if so how difficult is it to stay in without getting caught? lol

- Do bouncers ALWAYS check for ID or could there be opportunities to walk in without being stopped?

- If I managed to get into a bar, how easy of difficult is it to be served alcohol. Baring in mind I don't look THAT young, but not much older thaan 20 either.

Basically, I just want to know if being 20 will cause problems. To be honest, I don't mind too much if I can't drink alcohol in the bars (I can do that in the hotel), but i'd like to at least be able to actually get into the places with my friends.

Or, are there alternative places we could go at night with no problems?

Thanks in advance!

:)

ah man, I mastered this stuff back in the day. Although over 10 years ago things were different. I imagine it's a bit tighter these days.

There are a lot of factors in this sort of thing. How old do you appear? If you can pass for over 21 - nice funky facial hair, or a mature demeanor, large for your age maybe - you'd be surprised at how many places are loose on their door policy. Especially in New York or Boston. There is always some place, may not be the high gloss fancy shmancy glass box, but there are tons of mid-level or even dive bars that have the cooler people in them. Clubs, the homegrown or low profile types, are usually where the good people chill, so those might be an option. Restraunts, especially if the group is ordering alcohol, are a slam dunk.. they really want to sell you the drinks.

It's all about taking a second to sort of feel the situation.. walk by the club entrance and see how the door is acting before you try to go in.. pick a busy bar with a young bartender, they prob wont card.. your friends, who have prob done the rounds a few times themselves, should know of some places you could go as well.

Your appearance - older looking hopefully - and playing it cool are the main things. Act like you've been in a thousand bars already, and being asked for your ID is the furthest thing from your mind. If someone asks for your ID, dont freak out... play it cool... improvise... play up that you are visiting the states, and that you dont have an ID on you. But assure them, in a non-chalant way, that you are old enough to be in there. Dont drink too much and make an ass out of yourself and get thrown out (or you could, you're only 21 once :p).

...and most of all DONT DRIVE AFTER DRINKING... DONT LET YOUR FRIENDS DRIVE AFTER DRINKING. I'm serious. Dont fu-k around.

Upvote 0
There are different scenarios. Actually entering a bar will be no problem because if they are going to card you - the bartender will at the bar. Usually. Nothing is ever 100%, some may card at the door.

Clubs sometimes let 18 year olds in, but then give the 21 year olds a stamp which they have to show the bartender in order to have alcohol. That however is so simple to get around. Just go to the bathroom and lightly damp a paper towel, then blot your buddies stamp with some moisture, and roll the back of your hand over his... works everytime :p

You can find places that are so chill where the people there dont give a sh!t. In San Francisco there are plenty of places I've strolled into where people are smokin cigs (big no-no in California), joints, gettin all kinds of fu-ked up in the stalls.. whatever. I'm positive NY and Boston have more than enough to choose from. Find a nice comfy lookin hole in the wall, your chances are better. Avoid the big 50 person line havin' super telemundo club where they have to be dicks for all the times undercovers have busted them for bein too lax.

though I do wonder if things will be as easy as that these days. I fear not.

See, there's the doubt talking... you cant have that. Walk in with your mates, breeze up to the bar laughin and seeming preoccupied, order a shot of Jack and a coke back to get started, walk over and drop some bills into the jukebox, come back and slam your shot, tip the barman WELL.. I give a dollar a drink, and he'll take care of you nicely, have a good time.

Upvote 0
REZ said:
Just go to the bathroom and lightly damp a paper towel, then blot your buddies stamp with some moisture, and roll the back of your hand over his... works everytime :p

"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know."

:D

Upvote 0
Bars usually don't ask for ID at the door unless there is some kind of event or cover charge. Clubs usually do and some clubs have an even higher minimum age (like 25+) depending on what kind of crowd they are trying to attract. The time you go usually has nothing to do with bars, but affects the price of some clubs cover charges.
Have a great trip!

Upvote 0
"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know."

:D

Hunter S FTW!!!

Why am I not surprised that it was the Bud that quoted the first Hunter S in these forums? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
You can always call first, or simply try one and then another. It's going to be a lot harder for an under-age guy to get into a bar at 9 p.m. Friday than it would at 2 p.m. Saturday when there is no bouncer at the door, ya know?

Some places will card _all_ the time. A friend of mine, from Brazil, was carded months after her birthday, but couldn't convince the bartender (properly) that other nations write the date dd-mm-yy rather than mm-dd-yy. Whoops.

If your friends simply like beer, try the Sunset Grill in Allston/Boston (http://www.allstonsfinest.com/). If they're real beer snobs, try the Publick House in Brookline (http://www.thepublickhousebrookline.com/). Allston has a couple good stretches of bars, which might expand your opportunities. One stretch starts kinda near St. Elizabeth's Hospital.

Upvote 0
I live in a US college town, and here, the standard is that they will let 18-20 in through certain hours on weekends, but they will mark your hand to show you are under age. Washing it off is probably not going to be an option, so dont bother. Dance clubs will almost without fail allow 18 year olds, but bars can be a bit more strict, especially on weekends. Once you're in, you can do the ol tried and true 'have-your-buddy-buy-you-a-drink-and-bring-it-to-you' trick, but its not very effective. Your best bet is to just drink what you want to drink at the hotel, then go to the bars and see what pans out. If its laid back, give a shot at buying a drink. If they're being card crazy, sit back and use the old "i'm from another country" song and dance, and be glad you are already drunk.

Upvote 0