• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What do you want from Mappers?

BL4Z3>FAS>

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2005
The main issue for most of us is fps ,,..keep us up in fps and you map will be more likely to be sucessful
also keep it balanced,.... & avoid issues like getting stuck places & clipping as much as possible , these seem like basics but just a reminder I'm sure others have ideas as well...

Spawn protection and a spawn buffer. Nothing more demoralizing and that gets people to log off than being stuck ten feet out of the spawn.

Remember with map DLs and other logging in issues, a side can have a 5+ people advantage for some time at the start. Easily enough to lock down a spawn exit if there's only one on the map.

T.

Upvote 0
I'd love more big maps, even for infantry, figthing over 2 buildings gets old, I enjoy Berezina a lot, loads of scope for proper tactics and movement, if yer infantry you HAVE to use the transports and cover, the MG's work brilliantly as well for covering advances, I've had great games on that map on Public servers with full Half-tracks of guys moving as squads and covering each other.

Upvote 0
I expect custom maps to be simless. too many maps are pretending to show a real enviorment but looks so contrived- buildings are nothing but squares with roofs and so on.
I know that adding nice textures and lots of details is a fps killer, but if u cant make a good illusion of a place than dont try- in dod there is a wonderful set of practice maps, everything in there is made of orange tiles or squares, some of them r so brilliant that they have servers deticated solely to them. dont see why a similar conception cant work in ro.

Lazur, soviaski, beach assault, entwitchen, factory, partisan forest are my examples for 100% simless maps. it does not necessarly means they are good but they have a hook. at least for me.

I had one spectator mod glance at "enemy at the gates", it looked really contrived (hmmm... Ill put a rubble here and one there...hmmm...and one...right there!)
I disconected, not likely Ill return

Upvote 0
I want a search and destroy gametype, which is quite possible with ROs current setup:

Lower round time
Make 2 destroyable objectives
Set the respawns at 0
Give ALL attackers a satchel

If a mapper was up for converting the exisiting RO maps, I would be more than happy to run a S&D only server. That gametype is the only thing I miss about Call of Duty.

Upvote 0
As i'm new to mapping and tcherkassy is my first "real map" (made 2 warmup map before), i'll tell u why i started it.

First of all i did not find in custom maps (before the release of some maps like berezina or zithomir and smolensk) what i was looking for in RO. So i made a little village that was what i was thinking about when i red books about Ostfront. Then i had to face some problems to achieve what i wanted :

- some people will never like what you do, whatever time you spend on it, some will like your map, some won't, end of story.

- It's almost impossible to prevent spawn camping or spawn exit camping, whatever you do, there will always be a sneaky bastage running around the map to spawn camp.

- To be balanced your map need a LOT of testing, thing you cannot do by yourself and therefore needs time.

- People complain about your map but don't use the beta forums to help the mappers to improve his map

- Players cannot imagine till they try to build a map how long does it take and how much time you can spend for a single detail (flying stukas in my case)

- Some things like unlimited charges, only snipers, etc.. has been tried before and it always turned into camping contest or killing spree explosive bomberman, it's just impossible to balance if you don't limit.

- Some people prefer Attack/defense , others Only tanks map, others combined, etc... I've chosen to do an Attack vs Defense map (same system as danzig) because it's the map i like the most and i play the most. Some people won't like it, but they can switch server whenever, i remind you that's just a game.

To conclude, whatever you think about a map, come to beta forums and tell it, try to be constructive and maybe someone will realize your dream. Keep in mind that when a mapper create a map, he's already thinking about the next one he'll do. This thread is the final evidence to show it's impossible to make a map that everybody will like.

Upvote 0
i am like ESCAZ on this, i got of my lazy ass and did something about it!

i wasn't happy with the custom maps i saw coming out (too much call of duty/dod-like) small maps where its all about personal skills.
so i learned how to map, and started making try-out maps, untill i made PariserPlatz.
i made it how i wanted other maps to be, i know not everybody will like it.
but i love it and apparently i am not alone.

here is how i like maps:
no more than 5 seconds respawn waiting!
constant action
realistic environment, maps that look like RL pictures
maps that encourage teamwork, not maps that force you to use teamwork
limited tank respawns, so tankers behave better
historical background
battle-maps, not fight maps. maps where you are in a battle, one team moves back the other one moves forward

fight-maps are fun for me occasionally (like krasnyi, arad, koitos... ) but they still would be as fun if you were playing them in call of duty...
maps where you take a building, and they re-take another building etc... etc...

so the best way guys, is still to do something about it or be constructive

Upvote 0
the problem is how to set the respawns to 0 in a map and you dont want to play 2 x 5 min rounds and change map again.

Well obviously you run an SD only server so you could have 5-10 rounds or whatever, I tried to get some mappers to do SD versions of their maps last year to little avail. Me and Sam were going to convert the current RO maps, but we're too busy with MN...it would be a fairly easy job for any mapper to do.

The respawn problem is easy to solve, all you need to do is set the reinforcement time to the same time as the round time and thus you cant respawn.

Upvote 0