• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-EnemyAtTheGates

LOL talk about an unrelated server advertisement :p

Hahahahhahahahahha Yep I succumbed! If ya can't fight 'Em - Join 'Em!!

Actually, I wanted to let the players know about our map downloads... but you are right. I decided to go with the flow.... ;)

Now, to get BACK on Topic; :)

Tochiri has given us a fun map in Enemy At The Gates. We have enjoyed it immensely and highly recommend this puppy. Many thanks to Tochiri for all the fun we've had in this and his other maps so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tochiri, nice job.

I have a few ideas, after playing it a little.

The last german spawn might be too exposed--I think they could be spawn camped right now. If you had them spawn in an interior room in a building, that would be better.

The Russian spawn at the Docks could be in a warehouse--just have one of the ruined buildings be a little less ruined.

The buildings, because they are so similar, don't feel like they were part of a city. You can't really tell that there used to be a street here, an alley there, a square over there--the building placements are basically random. Try to wiggle the placements, or be less aggressive with the rubble (add more of the original street rather than gray mounds) and see if you can get a more real city-like feel.

The Ruins might need to be recappable for the Germans to keep things fun, but we'll see how it plays on a half full and on a full server.

The river, the boats, the sky, and the size are all very good--I wish you luck, and I hope you have more fun making the map!

Upvote 0
Thank you. everyone.:)
I release Beta 3.

change point.

-Improvement of bot support.
-A change of placement of a building.
-One OBJ increase did it.(Central ruins.)
-A change of a position of Russian Respawn point.
-A boat does not return. Please swim if defeated before reaching Dock.:eek:
-Please move a boat with a "USE" key. There is it to a rudder.
-There is a soldier having only a pistol in Russia. Please pick up a rifle put in Dock. (This may not act online.):eek:

P.S
Slyk

After all I hesitated to use your mesh.
But your goodwill was very nice. Thank you.:)

Nestor

I tried to examine Surface, but was not found.
Will you teach it in Private messages in detail kindly?:eek:

KH Reese

A cause of a bug of lighting was not found.:(

Mike_Nomad
Britney Federline

Thank you for comment.
I intend to change more buildings from now on.:)

Enjoy it.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you. everyone.:)
I release Beta 3.

change point.

-Improvement of bot support.
-A change of placement of a building.
-One OBJ increase did it.(Central ruins.)
-A change of a position of Russian Respawn point.
-A boat does not return. Please swim if defeated before reaching Dock.:eek:
-Please move a boat with a "USE" key. There is it to a rudder.
-There is a soldier having only a pistol in Russia. Please pick up a rifle put in Dock. (This may not act online.):eek:

P.S
Slyk

After all I hesitated to use your mesh.
But your goodwill was very nice. Thank you.:)

Nestor

I tried to examine Surface, but was not found.
Will you teach it in Private massages in detail kindly?:eek:

KH Reese

A cause of a bug of lighting was not found.:(

Mike_Nomad
Britney Federline

Thank you for comment.
I intend to change more buildings from now on.:)

Enjoy it.:)
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~saywuut/RO-EnemyAtTheGates_B3.zip

Got it and its up already!! Thank you for your great support!

Upvote 0
Alright, my thoughts on the map:

The architecture needs some work. The buildings are bland and featureless; little is done to make it believable.

Layout needs some work too, kind of like what Brit was saying.

I would prevent the Germans from making it too far down to the docks. Add a blocking or mine volume to keep them defending the slopes instead of camping the docks.

Remove the sniper -- rather than let the Russians just be able to pick off at will Germans who have set up defenses, try possible to substitute the need for a sniper with artillery. Since a lot of the buildings have no roofs, it could also be used to supress or kill Germans holed up inside. A sniper negates the German MGs, which I feel are very necessary holding the Russians back in the beginning.

Some random artillery throughout the cityscape might not be too bad either.

Personally I'd have loved to do a map like this, but amphibious landings seem to be your thing.

Upvote 0
Looking better each day :)

I agree about removing the sniper, but adding artillery is not necessary IMO.
Providing enough cover for both teams and controling the gameflow with proper placement of objects is the way to go here.

The building need some details.
Right now it just seems nobody ever lived there.

Make sure that riflemen cann't cover huge areas from buildings. Again providing enough cover for the attackers is the key in these kind of situations.

Monk.

Upvote 0
Just played this on some server I found. Its a nice concept but please, next map you make make it more FINAL before you release a beta (and that goes out to quite a few mappers on these forums.) If you have released 3 public beta maps in under 1 week theres something really wrong.

Heres what you should do:
Beta 1 for a selected number of betatesters (personal friends, a specific clan, etc etc)
Beta 2 you can either go back to the ones you used in beta 1 or a new audience, but no public release yet!
Beta 3 - PUBLIC RELEASE!
This way you can ensure that the PUBLIC version is somewhat bug free and enjoyable to play. No need for the entire community to go trough the first two betas.

Untill this map gets a layer of detail, tweaks and a major overhaul in graphics I'll stay away from it. Again, its a nice concept but it needs a ton of work and you went into public beta to fast.
Thats my two cents :)

Upvote 0
I would have to say that you should remove all Snipers from this map and have 5 MG slots for the Germans and decrease the Assault Trooper class for the Germans to 3 slots. This should equip the Germans better for their defense at the defensive line. The timelimit and reinforcement levels on this map are perfect as they tend to run out with a good defense with a minute left to go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would have to say that you should remove all Snipers from this map and have 5 MG slots for the Germans and decrease the Assault Trooper class for the Germans to 3 slots. This should equip the Germans better for their defense at the defensive line. The timelimit and reinforcement levels on this map are perfect as they tend to run out with a good defense with a minute left to go.

We like the snipers and the way the map plays now... :)

Upvote 0
Well I think there should atleast be more MG positions but a little less Assault Trooper positions. Also there are some wierd BSP bugs and glitches on the boats, be great if there were ways to fix the water from seeping through the bottoms of them and people falling through them. Could try raising the boats from the water a bit more and possibly make the bottoms of the boats thicker.

Upvote 0
The architecture needs some work. The buildings are bland and featureless; little is done to make it believable.
[...]
Some random artillery throughout the cityscape might not be too bad either.
Another vote for this.

If it can be done, please everything (buildings) a bit darker, cloudy sky, lots more of rubble, fires, burnt out broken vehicles, shouts, cries, smoke ...

Also, don't know if this is possible, but what about random MG fire and Stuka bombs that can also kill you?

Upvote 0