• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What is the ingame penetration of the PTR and the T-60's 20 mm?

ptrd fires 14.5 mm bullets, and i beleive their maximum penetration is around 40mm of armor, however ingame they have been recoreded to penetrate up to 60 mm of armor.

edit:

ahh yes and the bap bap tank uses a "rare type of AP" ammo, giving it twice its proper penetration, who knew the russians used DU in ww2 anaways? (CZARKAZM)

Upvote 0
SO UNFAIR!!!!!! :'(

I hope one of your future projects will be able to counter this, like your extrordinary work on Arad_Realism. :) The map really needed to be biased to 1 side!
Right..., so you want to make the PTRD abnd the T-60 weaker than they should be, then what would be the point of having them in the game then? They'd be too weak to destroy anything.

Upvote 0
The PTRD and T-60 are (hopefully) in the game in anticipation of the introduction of 38(t)'s and PzKfwI's and II's...some of those funky armored cars!:D
sdkfz_232_8rad_01.jpg

Upvote 0
Right..., so you want to make the PTRD abnd the T-60 weaker than they should be, then what would be the point of having them in the game then? They'd be too weak to destroy anything.

WELCOME TO REALITY

The AT rifle has virtually no AT abilities even as the war started. You'd stand virtually no chance whatsoever of outright destroying anything from a pz3 upwards. Damage them yes.. blow them up as ingame.. no.

But it's a tricky thing to balance. The penetration now is quite insane (I've seen Tigers destroyed.. right through their 80mm armour). But in a sense it counters the fact the PTRD can't be used to do what it did in real life. You can't shoot out optics, damage mg's, kill crew members or jam hatches. So yeah.. right now if you implemented realistic penetration in a sense you make the game less realistic in the big picture. Or at least until a more advanced damage model for tanks is used.

Upvote 0
Isn't the frontal armor of the Pz. III currently set to 30 mm instead of 50+20 for the J?
Its not set to 30mm. If you have looked at the code, you can easily see that armor penetration or armor resistance etc. aren't set in mm. They are results of some quite complex calculations at times.

If they would be in mm and this claim would be true "PTRD can penetrate 80mm of armor", you would see almost every tank penetrated.

Upvote 0
WELCOME TO REALITY

The AT rifle has virtually no AT abilities even as the war started. You'd stand virtually no chance whatsoever of outright destroying anything from a pz3 upwards. Damage them yes.. blow them up as ingame.. no.

But it's a tricky thing to balance. The penetration now is quite insane (I've seen Tigers destroyed.. right through their 80mm armour). But in a sense it counters the fact the PTRD can't be used to do what it did in real life. You can't shoot out optics, damage mg's, kill crew members or jam hatches. So yeah.. right now if you implemented realistic penetration in a sense you make the game less realistic in the big picture. Or at least until a more advanced damage model for tanks is used.

It's wierd, sometimes the PTRD's power seems to change, I've seen them do what you said, but I remember one one time I had the rifle and was fighting a tiger, and used about 14 rounds hitting all at close range right in the reccomended sweet spots on the sides and mostly the back but nothing, so It seems to have random times of realism.

(when I ran out of ammo I followed him around and waited for him to get bored and open the hatch to look out, and I shot him with a pistol, but it didn't kill him and he started hunting me, then a russian tank shot him while he was busy trying to kill a russian with a pistol. I think that means I win!:D)

Upvote 0
Er... you DO see almost every tank penetrated. PTRD can obliterate any tank in the game from the sides, and most of them from the front.

Pfftttt, good luck with that. You need to be angeled 90^o exactly to be able to take out tanks with 1 shot. Not only that, but when you fire your first shot, and you're near the tanks, they can easily find you. And you can't just shoot anywhere with the PTRD. You won't do any damage if you aim just a few cm off.

Using the PTRD is to balance what the Panzerfrank is capable of. And if that doesn't live up to everyone's expectations, go play a map without the anti-tank class, because I'm against modifying the PTRD in any way, except making it semi-auto.

Upvote 0