• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Combat Flight Sim 2

I used to have CFS2 ages ago, good times, i did have CFS3 as well and it was a bit better (graphically, mainly small changes really) but in the microsofts CFS games it doesnt feel very much like you are flying a plane imo, i dont know how much it is to buy now but i wasnt that impressed with it.

If you want the best Combat flight sim the Il2 Sturmovik series is the way to go.

Upvote 0
If you want the best Combat flight sim the Il2 Sturmovik series is the way to go.

Even though I agree with you, I would like to apend "unless you want to stand a fair chance using any western aircraft besides the spitfire."

Though I hear in the new beta patch energy retention seems to be better for the heavier (typically zoom and boom) aircraft.

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm more interested in Western and Pacific aircraft, thats why I loved CFS2. Flying over all the water knowing that there is no where to land is a big stresser! Also the planes are cool and aircraft carriers and fleet attacks and the pwn! But I would also like to fly the me109s so CFS3 would be cool, but I'm curious do you also fight in North Africa?

as for IL2 are there mods that convert the game to other theaters?

Upvote 0
IIRC the il-2 series covers every theater (there is no African single player campaign, though the italian/german/british planes of that time are all flyable).

The Pacific Fighters stand-alone expansion did a great job with carrier based air warfare. The "IL-2 1946" release includes every expansion, and would be a wise purchase if you dont have the game/expansions.

Upvote 0
If you don't have any IL2 game yet, you probably can't go wrong with IL2-1946. AFAIK it has ALL IL2 games, including Pacific Fighters in it. That means a gazillion different planes (bombers and attack planes included, love the A20) and maps including such rare stuff like Manchuria. I'm going to get it next month even though I already own the original IL2.

Upvote 0
yeah, the IL-2 demos came out around the turn of the millenium, so they arent the best representations of the game's current state. if you enjoyed what you played of the demo though ,then I'd definately suggest getting the IL-2 1946 package, it has everything in the series from Forgotten Battles and onward. (well, apart from 3rd-party addons like Case Blau or Ostfront.)

Upvote 0
yeah, the IL-2 demos came out around the turn of the millenium, so they arent the best representations of the game's current state. if you enjoyed what you played of the demo though ,then I'd definately suggest getting the IL-2 1946 package, it has everything in the series from Forgotten Battles and onward. (well, apart from 3rd-party addons like Case Blau or Ostfront.)

I actually meant that its not the same game at all.

The demo is just stock IL-2.

Everyone online plays based off the Forgotten Battles game, which was a standalone product.

Upvote 0