• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Am iI in the right place for asking a million noob questions?

viriato

Jan 18, 2007
Hi
I just started recently messing about with SDK but I gather I am still green.
i followed the tutorial up to a point where it was playable but I would like to get more involved with the "world" creation.
I have a million questions to ask but right now there are 3 that bothers me most.
lighting,water and scaling.
what world box do I need in scale to set up a terrain say the size of arad?
what do I have to do to make my scenario brighter (I plastered the skydome from arad into my level ,added the skyinfo,all in a box, I added the sunlightinfo but at gametrial level eveything seems very deem and even some staticmeshes appear either very dark or black and the sky looks more like late evening.
What do I have to do to make water .(I used the fluidinfo and messed about with the fluidoscilator but all I get so far is a mediocre blob.DO i need to add a sheet or something?
Well Ill be much obliged if somebody could help me out or redirected to the proper forum although I have already been to some. All the best

I just had a quick glance at 3dbuzz but it seems you have to pay?
Thanks anyway I will have a second look.
but my questions are very specific. You know I would rather start doing something simple maybe learning the hard way and then go step by step.
Begin with maybe a shootout gentle sloping terrain with a stream in the middle and then make it more and more complex.
thanks

Upvote 0
1. What world box do I need in scale to set up a terrain say the size of arad?

2. What do I have to do to make my scenario brighter?

3. What do I have to do to make water. (I used the fluidinfo and messed about with the fluidoscilator but all I get so far is a mediocre blob.) Do I need to add a sheet or something?

1. Open Arad and have a look :p

2. Open your actor class menu and go to light > sunlight actor. Add as many sunlight actors to your map as you want. 4 should be plenty. You can then adjust their brightness to suit. (click light colour tab in properties)

3. Open your actor class menu and go to Info > Fluid Surface Info. Add that into your map. Open its properties and click on the Fluid Surface Info tab, You can then set its scale with FluidXSize and FluidYSize.

Upvote 0
thanks for the advice .
I went back to 3dbuzz and dled a few videos (for free) They seem a bit general but will help.
I have also been checking Arad again and thanks to the "search" tool I have been able to spot where the actors are.I have noticed that maybe there are more than one fluid actor and alpha color is red ? Does it make them semitransparent?.See through?
I havent done anything yet on my map but i suppose i can just plaster ( I hate the expression) the 2 terrain info from arad and maybe manipulate them to start.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi again and sorry for not aswering earlier.
first of all thanks for the tips but it is becoming hard stuff .i explain , my basic idea is to create a soft sloping valley with a gentle nearly uniform inclination so as you go down you can still see the other side elments without hardly any blockings from trees etc, I have been using the paint brush smoothing etc but is hard work i mean I get a lot of irrgularities on the terrain bumps ect which i have to rectify after .I am using a pawn for scale reference also but as i said it is fustrating sometimes .I am "carving" down the terrain from centre outwards but is very uneven.Any idea to make things easier?:)

Upvote 0