• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

I heard of a guy in the next county over. Who found his grandpa's BAR when he passed away. Unfortunately for him, Grandpa never registered the rifle. So his only options were to turn it into the police for destruction, or donate it to a museum. Even though it had been in the family since WWII.

That wouldn't suprise me. Piss me off a bit, sure, suprise me no. Soon as my tax return is here I'm finally getting me scoped 91/30, possibly a k98 to go with it *happy dance*. Pics soon as I've got 'em and they're cleaned up.

Upvote 0
That wouldn't suprise me. Piss me off a bit, sure, suprise me no. Soon as my tax return is here I'm finally getting me scoped 91/30, possibly a k98 to go with it *happy dance*. Pics soon as I've got 'em and they're cleaned up.

yeah my tax return is going to rifles to... definately a K98 and maybe put whatever is left into the garand fund

Upvote 0
A high school friend of my dads thought it would be fun to shoot a deer with his dads WW2 BAR, he took it out to the Stevens Creek Dam and emptied a full mag on some poor deer. It blew the deer into several pieces. :eek: The Sheriff heard the fire, and caught him. The BAR was confiscated, and the kid got a year in jail.

This was in the 70's, nowadays he would have got 10 years for sure... what an asshat.

BTW my pop was not with him at the time. ;)

Upvote 0
A high school friend of my dads thought it would be fun to shoot a deer with his dads WW2 BAR, he took it out to the Stevens Creek Dam and emptied a full mag on some poor deer. It blew the deer into several pieces. :eek: The Sheriff heard the fire, and caught him. The BAR was confiscated, and the kid got a year in jail.

This was in the 70's, nowadays he would have got 10 years for sure... what an asshat.

Shooting a deer with BAR... He deserved it.

Upvote 0
Mosin, Mauser 71/84, SMLE, Sporterized :)() SMLE

gunzzzz001.jpg

Upvote 0

My question would be, where exactly did the two Grandfathers mentioned get their BARs from?

And did the BARs have "Property of the U.S. Army" on them?

Upvote 0
My question would be, where exactly did the two Grandfathers mentioned get their BARs from?

Believe me, all kinds of U.S. gov't arms are out there. A friend of mine at the local gun shops knows where two 50 cal M2's are. Niether is registered. They came off a military base that closed down in the early 90's

Upvote 0

The BAR was brought back by his Grandad after the war. Not really a big deal since back then you could buy a BAR with no hassles from the Man.

In the Local Museum in Morgan Hill, there is a Browning 1918 on display, another war trophy. BTW the museum used to be my dad's friends house, and they had their balsa wood model plane club upstairs.

Upvote 0
The BAR was brought back by his Grandad after the war. Not really a big deal since back then you could buy a BAR with no hassles from the Man.

In the Local Museum in Morgan Hill, there is a Browning 1918 on display, another war trophy. BTW the museum used to be my dad's friends house, and they had their balsa wood model plane club upstairs.

After which war? After the 1930's you could no longer buy a BAR or Thompon sans paper tail from your local hardware store anymore since that FBI basterd Hoover made sure of that.

After WWII it was almost as hard to buy an FA weapon as it is today. FA for the people was nipped in the bud during the prohibition days before WWII IIRC.

Either way, I would not want to get cought with a stolen military firearm as I think that is a federal offense.

Wrong or right, what Uncle Suger doesn't know won't hurt him. If I personally came into possesion of something like that, I would tell no one. ;)

On the bright side, if they were dumb enough to flaunt it in public without registering it then they did not deserve what their forefathers left for them.

And that is the trully sad part of those stories.

Upvote 0
Nice AR. Don't have one yet but being the cheapscate that I am I got a Saiga in 223 instead.

Uncle Sugar is only giving me back $1000 this year and half that is going to the Wife LOL.

Speaking of which, There's another gun show this Saturday. If Im real lucky my $150 will get me an enfield or something and I can post it here.

Wish me luck on my hunting.

Hmmm, Just had a thought...will $150 buy me an AR stripped reciever?

Upvote 0
Nice AR. Don't have one yet but being the cheapscate that I am I got a Saiga in 223 instead.

Uncle Sugar is only giving me back $1000 this year and half that is going to the Wife LOL.

Speaking of which, There's another gun show this Saturday. If Im real lucky my $150 will get me an enfield or something and I can post it here.

Wish me luck on my hunting.

Hmmm, Just had a thought...will $150 buy me an AR stripped reciever?

AIM has stripped receivers for $89.99

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Superior_Arms_AR-15_.223_Receiver.html

Even with a dealer transfer you'll be under $150. Unless your dealer likes to rip people off.

They can't sell it to you if you live in the PRK though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just picked up a sporterized No4 Mk1 T Enfield the other day at a pawn shop. It was in great condition, the bore was pristine, but most interestingly to me was that it was drilled for a scope and had the T, TR, and M47C stamps on the receiver and the stock had the screw holes where the cheek piece once sat which show that it was once used as a sniper rifle. I know its lost virtually all of what would have been considerable value when it was sporterized, but this rifle should be a great truck gun. I just cant believe somebody would butcher an otherwise valuable rifle like that.

Upvote 0
AIM has stripped receivers for $89.99

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Superior_Arms_AR-15_.223_Receiver.html

Even with a dealer transfer you'll be under $150. Unless your dealer likes to rip people off.

Yeah, but, no offense, I haven't exactly heard great things about Superior Arms.

As a general rule, for a good AR reciever(i.e. Stag, RRA, Bushmaster, etc.)
, you should pay about $250-$300. Of course, that's assuming you can't find a good bargain. But then you have add another $500 or so to the price of a complete upper reciever, and the cost of a buttstock, which could be as much as $100, depending on what you want.

I actually just got an AR a few months ago. An RRA National Match. I haven't been able to get out to the range a lot with it, so I really don't know what it's capable of, but it's done pretty darn well from what I've used of it(especially considering the fact that I REALLY need to go get my eyes checked out). The prices on guns are a little steep in my area(MD), so I paid about $1200 for it, but it typically goes for $1000 or $1100.

And, before you ask, I'll try and take pics of the collection and post them up tonight or tomorrow.

Upvote 0