• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vista Boycott?

Personaly I see the open sourced movement as natural evolution, at this moment in time the operating system you can put together using packages or source files from open sourced repositories can make the best of m$ software look cheap and shabby if your willing to put the effort into it , if your not distro's like ubuntu can provide more than adequate performance and security.

Alot of people see open sourced as inferior because it is free , these people do not understand what open sourced is , it is free as a consiquence of being open sourced. Open sourced will never go away and be "defeated" by microsoft , it IS here to stay like it or not ( if you dont like it open your favourite text editor and change it to suite your needs ;) )

Anyway , i boycotted XP , it didnt make any difference to the status quo mind but i used to get such satisfaction playing the most realistic ( and best ) tactical fps available on the best operating system available , everytime i joined a server i would find a fellow linux user who would occasionaly give me tips for performance ect. It is such a shame that RO went windows only some of its biggest fans were linux users and its a crime to force these people to use a buggy, security holey , noob operating sytem so once again

im begging the devs to release an RO client for linux , i would pay double , triple even

PS and please no more dissin open sourced , if you think its poor then come to my house and take a look at SpiTech1

Upvote 0
Apparently they hired the guy behind SDL for their RO linux server,

The main reason TWI didn't release for linux is that they only had the license for the client on one platform. Also there is no official version of steam that runs nativly on linux. As far as I know those are the two main reasons why RO is only for windows.

I don't think that OpenSource is superior, I think it is different. And btw. package solutions could be implented in Closed Source as well and are very often if you look at propiretary linux software.
I think both developement models have its advantages and flaws.

Upvote 0
The reason closed sourced isnt as good as open sourced is because it is closed sourced , the posiblilties are endless with open sourced software because you have the source code and can modify it or even re-write it , at the moment linux distro's have their problems but as it becomes more widely accepted and it user base grows (29 million now) these problems will disapear when hardware manufacturers relese kernel blobs as well as windows drivers

mat69 come to my house and i'll show you gentoo powah :D i dont have any tea bags in tho :(

Upvote 0
Ok, show me proffessional CAD-, video-editing- ... software for Linux.
You won't find open sourced software.

It's not like OpenSource is the solution for everything. It is a mess for businesses if I only have to slightly modify the source code and am allowed to sell the thing! You can find some guys selling OpenOffice (just named differently) on ebay and that guy sold thousands of copies making a fortune for programming nothing at all.
Imagine you'd create an open source game. Now another company says to itself: "Why should we create or license an engine if we are allowed to use that one straight away and only have to release the source code of it?"

And what's so special about your gentoo installation? Anyway thanks for the invitation, I'm on my way. :D

Upvote 0
http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html

loads of cad stuff available :D

there isnt anything special about my gentoo , just a few custom bits and a fair few tweaks. Its a source based distribution , if nothing is running it takes just over a second to load firefox with modist hardware ,

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/system-requirements.html

check what mozilla recommends :p

any NATIVE games make their windows counterparts look like pixelated slide shows too (i miss RO badly)

wine/cedega games are sometimes better than running on windows altho with no FSAA which ****s ,

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Open source is good but not for everything.

I would never run enetrprise data warehousing or enterprise mission critical application on open source. Why? because I get *no guarantee* for the software.

In an enterprise enviroment the software licencess are a verry little part of the TCO (total cost of ownership) like 10 to 15%.

I need support 24/7 for the software. I don't care if i must pay 50.000EUR for the licences. This means nothing when *one* consultant is payed with 1000 - 1600 EUR/day .

An enterprise will not save 50.000EUR to get an open source thing that can work and maybe support get dropped in 1 year.

For home/educational/small business use is ok.

Upvote 0
I meant that there aren't any serious open source CAD ... programs.

After a fast inspection - just looking at most of the GPL-CAD pages - it looks like there is a lot quantity but hardly quality. What I meant is something like AutoCAD.

Edit: The army is also using Windows, as the NSA is. They use what fits their interests and needs, as companies do.
The thing I found threating allthough is that the German Panzerhaubitze 2000 used Win 3.11 and now uses Win 2000 ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have to agree with mat69 on on this one. For Cad users like myself that use AutoCAD 8+ hours every day, those open source cads are not the best alternative. After fast inspection of the list i noticed that every version lacks some functions (some here, some there) and that is a big no no for serious users. Im sure those cads are good for "hobby" (dont know the right word here) users, but like i said, not for serious users.

Upvote 0
http://www.aaxnet.com/design/linux2.html

U.S army uses linux , the navy i think too

id much have a no guarantee and it works rather than have a guarantee and it be a buggy ,security holey virus fest

EDIT : isnt apache by far the most popular webserver?

us army is using linux, windows, macos, os400, sunos a.s.o.

^*all* software have bugs and security holes... i mean *all*. open source have even more in the enterprise enviroment because of the lack of usage and lack trust.

id much have guarantee and it works than have no guarantee, no support and the risk that in 1 year I must rebuild my IT infrastructure because of one unsupported open source application. For closed systems I know years before what are the strategies of the producing companies and I have the trust that the company will not dissapear in 1-2 years. <- thats sells.

I'm IT senior consultant in enterprise enviroment since more than 10 years and I never ever seen any company using open source for mission critical applications or data storage. If one of the software that I'm using (that have no equivalent in opensource) gets f**ked up at 1am in the morning I can call the producer IBM/MS/Sun/Oracle or whatever and get immedialy support. I can't wait some days until the coder of the open source have some time to patch his work.. or he is just in holiday... or whatever...

btw open source is not better than closed system and the other way arround is the same. Both are made from the same peoples.

Upvote 0
Mind you that I have not messed with Linux in years.

But games were only one of the things keeping me from switching.

Here is a list of other items that were crucial for me personally that were missing from any Distros of linux at that time:

1)A built in clipboard.
2)Video editing / capture software.
3)dvd movie playback software.
4)dvd burning software?
And finally 5)A linux version of my favorit killer applictions like Quicken financial software and Palm PDA software.

Have any of these been remedied by newer distros?

I do not see the point of Using linux if 90% of my main applications have to be run from a Windows Emulator when XP home or Pro does the job better.

Mind you that I am not here to bash linux. I am hopefull for Linux and pray it gets better but I tend to look at things realistically because the world desparately needs competition for MS.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
radix come to my house

hmm , how many linux viruses over the past 12 months?
how many m$ viruses over the past 12 months?

what is the most popular webserver? (im betting these forums run on it)

i know of linux servers that have uptimes of 18 months
i dont know of any windows servers so i cant comment on their stablilty ( nobody i know runs a windows server )

as for technical support on open sourced , you have the source code and ability to do these things yourself , that is the general idea of open sourced

Upvote 0