• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How to Create a Sexy Pop Star - Why Pop Music ****s

Learn how to listen for it, you can hear the pitch correction in a LOT of songs, not just the crap on the pop radio station. The studio monkeys are good, but I can still hear it a lot of times. Sometimes, I think they only do it "good enough" for their employers not to notice it... leaving it there as a "yep, this person is a fake" for people to hear... if they care to.

They'll also "clone" the "singer's" voice, and play it back multiple times to give the "artist" a fuller sound.

The "live" performances in this genre are usually some lower-generation studio stuff. It's what they didn't use on the album, or it's a less-cleaned version of what's there. See also: Ashley Simpson on SNL.

I honestly can't believe the trash people listen to...

Upvote 0
what was that plugin again?

Autotune.

/me cues "Infomercial Announcer Voice"
"Buy Antares Autotune TODAY and you TOO can have perfect-pitch vocals! Pick up that phone - pop-stardom is waiting! Call today and you can get your VERY OWN hit record for the LOW LOW price of only $399!!!! And... if you order in the next 10 minutes, we'll throw in 30 days in rehab for that REAL pop-star experience! Order NOW!"

But I digress... lol.

What gets me is how many songwriters each of these songs has. Cher's "I Believe" (which we have to thank for the Autotune phenomenom) had I think 8 songwriters. J-Lo's "Jenny from the Block" had a group as well. I mean, what, are each of these morons writing a single drum part?

Jennifer Lopez: Vocals / John Smith: Hihat (verse 1) / Tom Lynch: HiHat (verse 2) / Doug Brown: HiHat (Fill between verse 1 and 2) / ......

Upvote 0
Learn how to listen for it, you can hear the pitch correction in a LOT of songs, not just the crap on the pop radio station. The studio monkeys are good, but I can still hear it a lot of times. Sometimes, I think they only do it "good enough" for their employers not to notice it... leaving it there as a "yep, this person is a fake" for people to hear... if they care to.

Indeed, if you have just a little flair for music, you cant miss it.. its not even subtle, its a bloomin elephant in the room!

Also, pay attention to stacato sequences, there you can really hear it.. its even in the vid, thouse "iii" sequences they had to use the Autotune on, listen to the final product at the end and it now has stacato aswell, and you dont have to be the reincarnation of Beethoven to hear its faked.

Now turn on any pop radio station and be prepared to laugh..

Upvote 0
If the masses wouldn't be complete tone deaf clueless morons, this wouldn't be possible. The proliferation of such talentless idols is only made possible by the people who listen to this crap... let's face it, there's a lot of them around.

The sad thing is, that while these mediocrities make millions of dollars, real musicians are hardly appreciated and have to scrounge to make a day to day living. But, arguably, if they didn't have to struggle, would their music be just as good as it is now?

In the end, the fault lies with the people.

Upvote 0
I always thought this crap proliferated as a result of removing music education from a lot of School districts throughout the US.

There was a time when everyone got a basic understanding of music, whether it be from choir or instrumental instruction. While not producing a generation of Mozarts, this had the effect of folks being able to tell for themselves the difference between pure pablum and quality, regardless of the style of music.

I could go on, but I have to shoo some kids off my lawn. ;)

Upvote 0
No one will ever be able to hold a candle to Patsy Cline's singing voice, she crossed over from the country charts to have hits on the pop charts.

Too many hacks out nowadays, and Mariah Carry can kiss my arse. She should try to put some soul in her crap music, instead of over-singing every line in her songs. (see butchering the National Anthem.)

Upvote 0
That's what you get for listening to music with "clean" vocals now days. And it's not only the pop acts that do this alot of the new rock acts also use pitch control software.

Is a reason almost the only clean vocals I enjoy these days are Tarja Turanen and Vibeke Stene. But then again they are a exception since classically schooled vocalists are a minority within the pop/rock music these days.

Upvote 0
That's what you get for listening to music with "clean" vocals now days. And it's not only the pop acts that do this alot of the new rock acts also use pitch control software.

New rock, pop, and I've even heard this scrubbing done with COUNTRY!*

Pretty much any genre you pick, these acts are chosen for their looks over their skills.

*Disclaimer: any country music made after about 1970 is crap.

Upvote 0
A bit of 'touching up' isn't that bad really. A touch of reverb here and there to raise the atmosphere can sound really good. Or creative use of synthesizers that showcases the band's talent, rather than compensating for the lack of it (Joy Division is a good example, they made great unique use of synths and truly showed off the band's talent to make original music). As long as it's done in a subtle way, it's ok.

But pitch correction is just plain wrong. If you want to make music, you should be able to play an instrument or at least sing.

I think those videos perfectly show why the early / mid 2000's is by far the worst time for music. I mean, in the 60's / 70's even the mainstream music was good. During that time the music was more important than the looks, right now it's the exact opposite. I think most music on the radio is extremely dull. That's the beauty of rock 'n roll - it's about the music! :)

Upvote 0
If the masses wouldn't be complete tone deaf clueless morons, this wouldn't be possible. The proliferation of such talentless idols is only made possible by the people who listen to this crap... let's face it, there's a lot of them around.

The sad thing is, that while these mediocrities make millions of dollars, real musicians are hardly appreciated and have to scrounge to make a day to day living. But, arguably, if they didn't have to struggle, would their music be just as good as it is now?

In the end, the fault lies with the people.
Im one of those! Couldnt really hear why the first "eyes" in the sample the guy gave was "painful", and after "fixing", the difference was barely noticeable.

Upvote 0